Things All Roxors need/ and things ive done thus far for engine performance enhancement

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey guys just to give you pointers and to save you some troubles along the ways as your wanting to improve on your Roxor, and for new roxor owners

Critical things that all roxor MUST undergo:
1)inspection of every visible nut and bolt and ensure they are properly tighten all over the roxor look up, then down, then sideways

2)swapping engine oil after 300 miles, swapping oils for gear diffs front and rear, tyranny and tcase immediately after ownership

3) add grease to all grease zerks at your 4 points for your suspension, one zerk for the rear drive shaft, one zerk for the front drive shaft. Add grease until you see it coming out from the other side to your rear axels

4) ensure front wheel bearings are lubed properly with grease

Things I've done to improve performance:
1)stage two DF (no issues bolt on project), boost valve (will take time to do)

2)extended shackles for front and back with 33s(rubbing to front tires on leaf spring at full turn, to remedy this issue A) no full wheel turns or B) cut off the bends from the front bumper and add two inch spacers to fix this)

3)left clutch fan in place, and added DF electric fan in front of the clutch fan, perfect spacing between them two

(definitely alot of wiring, not for the faint of hearts, took my mechanic about 4 hours to figure it out and install. Once installed I noticed the electric fan only clicks on with RPMs and is not temperature driven kinda weird but I think it's better that way, yes the instructions were followed to the letter). Currently the clutch fan spins 24/7 and my aftermarket fan clicks on with RPMs nice set up to keeping my radiator and engine bay at a nice temp

4)installed DF intake housing to resolve the boost leak, simple project

(just take the ground wire off first from the grid heater, then take hot wire off second, no need to disconnect from the car battery. Also take note your grid heaters positioning so when you reinstall ensure the imprinted "12V" is right side up and is closest to the grid heater hot wire.. remember when reinstalling wires to grid heater hot gets installed first then your ground last)

5)xtc self canceling "PLUG AND PLAY" Yeah right!

- for the self canceling kit the two turn signals for the front are too short and will not have enough wire length to make it to the front grill, you must add length to the front wire

6)high flow air intake

-look up the thread budget friendly cold air. you will Find the 1995 to 2006 Chevy 4.6L air filter kit. DONT USE THAT AIR FILTER THAT COMES WITH IT, IT DOESNT FILTER ANY THING. Look into AFE air filter product

7) 2.25 straight pipe from grit shift

-major game changer for the sound of the roxor in combination with the high flow air intake. It has a loud whistle in my opinion. This is a simple bolt on/off project. It may be hard getting to some bolts, patience is the key

D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wow! This is gold for someone like me who has owned a ROXOR for less than a month. THANKS!

Can you expand upon #6) ....? Do you have a link? What is the AFE air filter product.

Thanks immensely.

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

If you get the kit use the smaller tube with the bend, not the bigger tube. The smaller tube with the bend will have a pre drilled hole. Just tape it up to cover it

Here is a link to the air filter, don't buy from Amazon. You can get it a few bucks cheaper elsewhere. The air filter will cost more than the kit itself but it's well worth it. Get a hold of
CJ2Rox on the forum he can help you with some of the things including amsoil for the roxor. I hear nothing but good things about it. He is a good guy you will like him

D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

If you get the kit use the smaller tube with the bend, not the bigger tube. The smaller tube with the bend will have a pre drilled hole. Just tape it up to cover it

Here is a link to the air filter, don't buy from Amazon. You can get it a few bucks cheaper elsewhere. The air filter will cost more than the kit itself but it's well worth it. Get a hold of
CJ2Rox on the forum he can help you with some of the things including amsoil for the roxor. I hear nothing but good things about it. He is a good guy you will like him

^
Thanks.... will do

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
^
Thanks.... will do
I decided to use the bigger tube and it was a pain in the behind to use. I made it work but was a major pain in the you know what....you will have to think of a way to secure your makeshift air intake, I use zip ties, though I was told by CJ2Rox zip ties are only forgiving to use in Florida because of the humidity.

Attachments

• 20210915_185722.jpg
    20210915_185722.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 23
D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey guys just to give you pointers and to save you some troubles along the ways as your wanting to improve on your Roxor, and for new roxor owners

Critical things that all roxor MUST undergo:
1)inspection of every visible nut and bolt and ensure they are properly tighten all over the roxor look up, then down, then sideways

2)swapping engine oil after 300 miles, swapping oils for gear diffs front and rear, tyranny and tcase immediately after ownership

3) add grease to all grease zerks at your 4 points for your suspension, one zerk for the rear drive shaft, one zerk for the front drive shaft. Add grease until you see it coming out from the other side to your rear axels

4) ensure front wheel bearings are lubed properly with grease

Things I've done to improve performance:
1)stage two DF (no issues bolt on project), boost valve (will take time to do)

2)extended shackles for front and back with 33s(rubbing to front tires on leaf spring at full turn, to remedy this issue A) no full wheel turns or B) cut off the bends from the front bumper and add two inch spacers to fix this)

3)left clutch fan in place, and added DF electric fan in front of the clutch fan, perfect spacing between them two

(definitely alot of wiring, not for the faint of hearts, took my mechanic about 4 hours to figure it out and install. Once installed I noticed the electric fan only clicks on with RPMs and is not temperature driven kinda weird but I think it's better that way, yes the instructions were followed to the letter). Currently the clutch fan spins 24/7 and my aftermarket fan clicks on with RPMs nice set up to keeping my radiator and engine bay at a nice temp

4)installed DF intake housing to resolve the boost leak, simple project

(just take the ground wire off first from the grid heater, then take hot wire off second, no need to disconnect from the car battery. Also take note your grid heaters positioning so when you reinstall ensure the imprinted "12V" is right side up and is closest to the grid heater hot wire.. remember when reinstalling wires to grid heater hot gets installed first then your ground last)

5)xtc self canceling "PLUG AND PLAY" Yeah right!

- for the self canceling kit the two turn signals for the front are too short and will not have enough wire length to make it to the front grill, you must add length to the front wire

6)high flow air intake

-look up the thread budget friendly cold air. you will Find the 1995 to 2006 Chevy 4.6L air filter kit. DONT USE THAT AIR FILTER THAT COMES WITH IT, IT DOESNT FILTER ANY THING. Look into AFE air filter product

7) 2.25 straight pipe from grit shift

-major game changer for the sound of the roxor in combination with the high flow air intake. It has a loud whistle in my opinion. This is a simple bolt on/off project. It may be hard getting to some bolts, patience is the key

On # 3.... were you having overheating problems?

All the time or just sometimes?

Only on highway?

I'm wondering if additional cooling is needed in the normal course of use with a Stage 2 tune?

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On # 3.... were you having overheating problems?

All the time or just sometimes?

Only on highway?

I'm wondering if additional cooling is needed in the normal course of use with a Stage 2 tune?
No overheating at all ever. I just wanted to avoid the potential for overheating. With more power means more heat I like to air on the side of caution. In saying that I'm also getting an intercooler just to cool down my turbo boost. Also I know with a bit more ventilation it never hurt anything just as long as you don't over do it. But in my case it worked beautifully. If you just go for the stage 1 you won't need an electric fan, but I was told for the stage 2 it's highly encourage to practically do everything I did listed. For longevity sake. The electric fan definitely adds to HP and Tourqe

Last edited:
D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm ignorant. This is my first turbo-diesel...

how does [potentially] cooler engine

add HP and Tourque?

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm ignorant. This is my first turbo-diesel...

how does [potentially] cooler engine

add HP and Tourque?
Not ignorant to say the least. I'm not going to blow smoke if I don't know the exact rationale. But I believe that you are helping move more air through and overall increasing engine efficacy and performance. Wade did a good video on YouTube about the use of a electric fan on a Roxor and provided numbers. On the dyno run he gained 7hp and 10 pounds of torque.

Diffrent topic I did research anything above 10 psi of boost defiantly advisable to get that intercooler for longevity sake, want to cool that boost down

Last edited:
R

Ridem32

I did the electric fan also. My fan comes on with temp sensor. Not rpms. Not sure how or why he did yours with engine rpms. Mine rarely comes on. But I love my electric fan kit. Got mine from DF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I was there with the mechanic, we read the step by step instructions together over and over at times hours on end

Max A.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would not run both fans, you are actually not improving anything. The clutch fan now has a the other fan in front of it acting as a air damn. Your actually causing it to run hotter and both fans workin together is less efficient.

The advantage of the electric fan is to take the load off the motor by removing the clutch can. It also cuts down engine noise significantly. But with both on your putting load on your alternator and the crank.

The roxor runs cold. It actually could use a slightly hotter thermostat to get a little better performance out of the motor. What you want to cut down is your EGT temps.

The best way to do that is with a more efficient turbo free flowing exhaust and a EGR delete. The stock air box is definitely the best intake for the roxor but it does muffle the cool turbo noises. The other important piece it to get rid of the gold charge pipe and go to a bigger diameter pipe from diesel freak or even better is to do a intercooler. The stock air box produces the lowest EGT because it’s not sucking in as much Hot engine compartment air. The connection between the stock air box and the turbo can be upgraded to a smooth pipe to cut down on turbulence into the turbo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Required performance enhancements depend on how Roxor is used -- driving conditions, where one lives, mechanical abilities, depth of one's wallet, personal druthers and life's other demanding priorities. Learning the things folks have done is really interesting/informative and there's no shortage of admirable skill and knowledge here. The points about regular maintenance, lubes and fluids cannot be overstated. Many DF and OTR offerings correct design shortfalls (lockers) or outright mistakes (boost leakage). For use solely around the farm, however, going over 50 MPH would impact life expectancy, so there's little need for advanced stage tune. If large, knobby tires work better in mud and there are a bunch of logs to skid, tractors accommodate that. If there's need for doors, a cab and climate control, or to race down the highway, pick-up trucks suffice. Not everyone gets their kicks climbing rocks, propelling all four wheels airborne or racing across sand. More power to those who do and seek max performance. Meantime, a few of us remain content to putz about in fresh air, wind and weather, driving a quality built, dependable throwback to simpler times. Roxor goes where ever we want it to go and does so quietly, in reasonable comfort and fuel efficiently. An old Polaris Ranger is kept around because it has depreciated to near zero, and to remind us of all we don't miss in a plastic, belt-driven UTV. Roxor should never be mentioned in the same breath as that competition. Were there one "improvement" for Roxor, it'd be to make it totally mechanical, to eliminate the electronics altogether. That aside, Roxor has been among the best purchases in recent memory. Look forward to its long awaited reappearance.

Max A.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well said.

In India the roxor/thar makes double the power and had no speed limiter. It’s a daily driven vehicle just like Jeep’s in the US. The tune just removes the limits set forth to pass emissions and safety allowing it to be sold in the US. A “tune” will not hurt longevity. it’s actually unlocking the motor to run as it was designed to run.

My motor is almost stock. I want and need the reliability. It is stage 2 from diesel freaks but the only performance thing I have done is the turbo, egr, exhaust to lower EGTs to extend the life of the motor.

Yes i run the stock clutch fan. Mostly because I know if the motor is on it’s on.

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I must say I'm rather appreciative of your guy's post

D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would not run both fans, you are actually not improving anything. The clutch fan now has a the other fan in front of it acting as a air damn. Your actually causing it to run hotter and both fans workin together is less efficient.

The advantage of the electric fan is to take the load off the motor by removing the clutch can. It also cuts down engine noise significantly. But with both on your putting load on your alternator and the crank.

The roxor runs cold. It actually could use a slightly hotter thermostat to get a little better performance out of the motor. What you want to cut down is your EGT temps.

The best way to do that is with a more efficient turbo free flowing exhaust and a EGR delete. The stock air box is definitely the best intake for the roxor but it does muffle the cool turbo noises. The other important piece it to get rid of the gold charge pipe and go to a bigger diameter pipe from diesel freak or even better is to do a intercooler. The stock air box produces the lowest EGT because it’s not sucking in as much Hot engine compartment air. The connection between the stock air box and the turbo can be upgraded to a smooth pipe to cut down on turbulence into the turbo.

@Max A.

At the end of the day, is the electric fan worth the trouble and coin?

D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Required performance enhancements depend on how Roxor is used -- driving conditions, where one lives, mechanical abilities, depth of one's wallet, personal druthers and life's other demanding priorities. Learning the things folks have done is really interesting/informative and there's no shortage of admirable skill and knowledge here. The points about regular maintenance, lubes and fluids cannot be overstated. Many DF and OTR offerings correct design shortfalls (lockers) or outright mistakes (boost leakage). For use solely around the farm, however, going over 50 MPH would impact life expectancy, so there's little need for advanced stage tune. If large, knobby tires work better in mud and there are a bunch of logs to skid, tractors accommodate that. If there's need for doors, a cab and climate control, or to race down the highway, pick-up trucks suffice. Not everyone gets their kicks climbing rocks, propelling all four wheels airborne or racing across sand. More power to those who do and seek max performance. Meantime, a few of us remain content to putz about in fresh air, wind and weather, driving a quality built, dependable throwback to simpler times. Roxor goes where ever we want it to go and does so quietly, in reasonable comfort and fuel efficiently. An old Polaris Ranger is kept around because it has depreciated to near zero, and to remind us of all we don't miss in a plastic, belt-driven UTV. Roxor should never be mentioned in the same breath as that competition. Were there one "improvement" for Roxor, it'd be to make it totally mechanical, to eliminate the electronics altogether. That aside, Roxor has been among the best purchases in recent memory. Look forward to its long awaited reappearance.
@SMF

Are the lockers so inadequate as to need to be replaced in every instance? I am planning on using my ROXOR on dirt and fire trails, nothing demanding or exotic [no rock crawling] and back roads to town. Are the OEM 'ok' or are they a fail?

Thanks

CJ2Rox

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Not understanding your question? I have locking hubs but not lockers. Those types of trails lockers not needed. Simple 4x4 just will suffice. My 85 CJ7 I made due without lockers but did get into a pickle and got stuck a time or two. I don't plan on getting lockers for mine eventhough the backroads I go on could use them but not nessasary. Just know your limits on the trail.

Max A.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@Max A.

At the end of the day, is the electric fan worth the trouble and coin?

There are pros and cons on both sides. Really it’s up to what works best for your application.

Max A.

Max A.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@SMF

Are the lockers so inadequate as to need to be replaced in every instance? I am planning on using my ROXOR on dirt and fire trails, nothing demanding or exotic [no rock crawling] and back roads to town. Are the OEM 'ok' or are they a fail?

Thanks

The oem hubs are stronger then aftermarket locking hubs. But you don’t have the choice of locking/unlocking.

There really isn’t and advantage to locking hubs on a roxor unless you plan on driving it on the street 20k miles a year. It’s a street performance mod not a off-road capability mod.

If you do go with locking hubs go with mile marker. Warn makes the best winches and the worst locking hubs.