ooooooooooo

Spartans front and back and warn front hubs.

B

Bister

So I have, as the title says, the Roxor lunchbox lockers front and rear and the warn front hubs. I really like this set up....but, my question is: If I leave the front hubs engaged, cause I don't want to get out every time I come to a location that I NEED 4x4, is this going to cause any major issues when running in 2x4 other than a bit tougher steering? That's all I kind of notice anyway.
I disengage once I get back to where I probably won't need 4x4, like on the way home at road speeds, but not always.

This is what happens when I stay in 2x4 with the hubs disengaged vs being able to hit 4x4 when needed cause I figured "yeah, I'll make it". lol

PS. Winch to a good tree, not a rotten one that you pull out of the ground.
IMG_6605.JPGIMG_6596.JPGIMG_6598.JPGIMG_6600.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeT

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have the exact same setup. You will be fine. Thats what the hubs are designed to do-especially if you disengage them before highway speeds to avoid unnecessary wear and handling issues.

Before you put the warns on, the front was always turning the differential and driveshaft- it was just disengaged at the transmission. If you lock the warns, you are in the same situation except for the locker gears. The locker may be engaged or may not be depending on the traction and pressure on the locker gears when freewheeling. So at low speeds, the front may affect turning and handling..or may not..

B

Bister

I have the exact same setup. You will be fine. Thats what the hubs are designed to do-especially if you disengage them before highway speeds to avoid unnecessary wear and handling issues.

Before you put the warns on, the front was always turning the differential and driveshaft- it was just disengaged at the transmission. If you lock the warns, you are in the same situation except for the locker gears. The locker may be engaged or may not be depending on the traction and pressure on the locker gears when freewheeling. So at low speeds, the front may affect turning and handling..or may not..
Yeah, that’s kind of what i kind of figured it would do also. Other than the handling issues , I figured if it can take full torque in 4x4 low, it should handle some freewheeling engaged. Thanks.

Satex

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
... if it can take full torque in 4x4 low, it should handle some freewheeling engaged. Thanks.
That's a big question for many Jeep guys, which is how much torque can be applied through a locked diff before an axle, u-joint, etc. breaks.

I'm guessing that the rock crawlers are the ones with the issues, whereas the more "normal" low traction problems will result in both wheels on an axle spinning before enough torque is applied to break something.

I don't mind guessing about some other guy's rig, so keep that in mind.

B

Bister

That's a big question for many Jeep guys, which is how much torque can be applied through a locked diff before an axle, u-joint, etc. breaks.

I'm guessing that the rock crawlers are the ones with the issues, whereas the more "normal" low traction problems will result in both wheels on an axle spinning before enough torque is applied to break something.

I don't mind guessing about some other guy's rig, so keep that in mind.
Yeah, I'm putting around on wet grass and mild mud more than anything and by my self, that's why I got them, but I hate getting in and out to lock and unlock the front hubs. I think I will just leave them engaged most of the time. I have a couple miles of road that I drive to get and from where I need them, I might unlock for that most of the time and lock up once I leave the road.
thanks.

MikeT

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The roxor has a low hp and lower torque than a standard Jeep 4.0 motor. In the area of less than 1/3 the hp and tq. With a small ecm tune you still are under half the numbers. More power/more capability means more issues. Keep the hp and tq reasonable and you will be fine.

The big hp rock crawlers are very capable but are running close to the limit as Satax states

B

Bister

The roxor has a low hp and lower torque than a standard Jeep 4.0 motor. In the area of less than 1/3 the hp and tq. With a small ecm tune you still are under half the numbers. More power/more capability means more issues. Keep the hp and tq reasonable and you will be fine.

The big hp rock crawlers are very capable but are running close to the limit as Satax states
Yeah, I just putt around the valley, no big rock crawling or mudding. Mainly running the dogs etc....and pushing snow in the winter, but I am definitely going to be leaving the hubs engaged more even when not in 4x4 so I am ready. That last time getting stuck cause I was being lazy was to embarrassing. The right front wheel was on dry ground, and little fuel and I would have drove right through. lol

Last edited by a moderator: