ooooooooooo

spare tire

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I noticed that I could not hook up my log splitter with the spare tire on, could not push the lock lever down.

JonBoyK

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Factory size or did you go bigger? I dont have an issue with my factory spare

JonBoyK

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What kind if hitch does it have? Are you talking about the pintle lever or the hitchs'?

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have the pintle, the hitches locking lever on the log splitter

JonBoyK

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ah, our hitches dont have the flip up lock, that is where it is interfering. Need one of the slide locking tongue coupler or a bulldog style.

JonBoyK

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Is your log splitter long enough you can open you tailgate to lock the pin?

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Ah, our hitches dont have the flip up lock, that is where it is interfering. Need one of the slide locking tongue coupler or a bulldog style.
all the boat trailers around have a lever lock

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve had the same issue hooking up my splitter. It’s a pain. Have to hook it up with tailgate open just right...till I spend more $ on receiver hitch bumper.

B

Bister

I been trying to find a few pictures and I read the install instructions. It looks like the way you attach the mount to the tailgate might change the height. They suggest the 2 bolts to the passenger side, not sure why, but maybe they have a reason. I don't have a mount and can't find any really good pictures, but it looks like if you flip the mount so the 2 bolts are to the drivers side (like it is sitting in the picture), it might raise the tire. I wonder if the guys here that have no problem, if that is the way your mount is.

If you guys can take a picture of your spare tires and post them here, we might see if there is a difference. Just a thought.

PS: I could be completely wrong on this, I'm just going but what I can see mostly in the attached picture.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 6.31.53 PM.png

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, now that you bring that up that is the issue. The 2 bolts are to the pass side right now with the angled side of mount facing down on mine. Looks like it should be easy to flip over. Not sure what their reasoning would be for it the way it came. I’ll try it tomorrow. I should’ve noticed it before but never studied it.

B

Bister

Yes, now that you bring that up that is the issue. The 2 bolts are to the pass side right now with the angled side of mount facing down on mine. Looks like it should be easy to flip over. Not sure what their reasoning would be for it the way it came. I’ll try it tomorrow. I should’ve noticed it before but never studied it.
The way it is is the recommended installation according to the instructions.....but I don’t know the reasoning behind it. The picture in their installation guide shows them to the drivers side, opposite of the written instructions.

Let us know how you make out.

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I flipped the mount over and gained 1-1/2” between the top of the trailer ball and the bottom of the tire. Went from 4-1/4” gap to 5-3/4” gap. I haven’t tried hooking it up to a trailer yet but looks like it should work now. My trailer hitch style that’s been causing an issue is 6-1/2” high with that latch sticking straight up but should be able to sneak it in there. Here’s before and after.

15D49A16-A010-4FBE-AD15-C8A1BA1BA6F2.jpeg 0444ABA3-FD0B-4D9A-B3C1-6CFBD50B2A6D.jpeg F72C2BFB-9620-4821-B56D-91B35E3FB75A.jpeg 88275033-960F-4D40-8096-E013497D212D.jpeg

B

Bister

Thanks for the update. I wonder what the reasoning is in the 'official' instructions are for having it the other way? It really doesn't make sense if it impedes the hitch. I wonder if someone made a mistake or they know something we don't.....

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m not sure what their thinking was on that. Maybe thought tire would have more leverage on the tailgate or cause vehicle to have higher profile...I have no idea. The way the center part of the mount is stamped it could trap a slight amount of water now but would be very minimal. Probably was just overlooked from factory. I definitely appreciate the info. ?

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Also don’t want anyone getting the idea that center caps are a good idea with stock wheels. I had some nice spare ones laying around and thought I’d put some on my rear wheels. Bad idea at least with the style I have. The lip on the back of the caps gets crimped between the wheel and hub basically making all the contact between the two. Looked like a good way of getting a loose wheel so I took them back off. Just left one on the spare to dress it up.

B

Bister

That is the way the factory instructions say to mount it, but then the picture in the instructions show it the other way. I assume the picture is wrong. Just an oops on the picture I assume.

If you flip it around you will gain some clearance, I have no idea if it will fall off if you do or why Roxor has it mounted so close vs higher. lol

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 12.45.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 12.45.37 PM.png

menotu

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I flipped mine and still could not hook my log splitter up, I noticed with the tire on the rear door makes a lot of noise rattling around, need to put maybe some more foam weather strip to help with the rattle.

Flatlander

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I forgot to update everyone on that but I flipped my tire mount a while back and had to move trailers around again and it still isn’t enough clearance to latch hitch. It’s quite a pain especially if trailer has too much tongue weight to pickup by hand. Have to carefully backup to trailer with tailgate open all the way without smashing it.