ooooooooooo

Rusting Paint in Hinges and Bolts

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I can imagine identifying rust in the paint is harder in a Black or Red Roxor, but its easy to see in a white Roxor. I removed the 8 posterior box tie down latches permenantly because 1 one was visibly rusting around the paint. The other 7 were also rusting but not visible without removing them. Now yesterday I saw rusting around the hood hinge screws into the paint. I wasnt expecting these two spots to be rusting the paint, i was expecting the CJ-7 winshield hinges to be the most likely culprit. I saw a video on a Jeep guy recommending a removable sealant in between metal parts have minimal spacing that could hold moisture to prevent the rusting process. Any thoughts? anyone with rusting in the hood hinge or or box latches? I found this removable seal, it might put it between the screws and the paint and between CJ-7 hinges and paint.

A13CED99-1140-4C56-BBCB-A4601774DE9E.jpeg BCE224AE-B38A-4545-BCA1-D5C6AAABBEA9.jpeg 11C4518A-D412-4D64-A30E-15A84AC8FF16.jpeg 5F31B5D4-A3D5-43DC-AEE1-DE5EE4C96FAD.jpeg CAF3D627-5EFB-405A-B542-59B54B21ADEE.jpeg 54712D06-E9DC-40FD-981A-27331F0449F2.jpeg

General

Founding Member
Bad luck, man. Move to the desert. Nothing rusts here. Are you leaving yours outside overnight and at work?

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve seen this too on my white roxor. I’ve already replaced the bolts on my hood hinges with stainless.

HTW

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I live in Michigan where everything rusts out in front of your eyes. I have tried every type of rust proofing out there. My experience has been Fluid Film and Corrosion Free seem to work the best, but used motor oil is not far behind them. Buy a few cans of Corrosion Free or Fluid Film and spray some in the bolt holes and seams before you anti-seize up the bolts with good copper anti-seize and reinstall. Then spray all the hinges and body seams and inside the frame rails. In Florida where you only get salt on from the ocean not from the salt trucks spreading brine on the roads like Michigan it should last over a year or so before you have to touch up the washout areas. That is what I have done for over 25 years to my 88 Toyota pickup and the frame is still like day one! If I would have not done that the truck would have disappeared about 20 years ago in puff of red rust. Both Fluid Film and Corrosion Free work great. I would say Fluid Film "clings" a little better to washout areas but Corrosion Free seems to creep better on protected areas. The biggest difference is Fluid Film smells like a old dirty sheep (lanolin based) where Corrosion Free is order free.
Rust Cure Formula 3000 (2 Pack) - Corrosion Free Rustproofing
FLUID FILM | Powerful Corrosion Protection & Lubrication

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Good call, did a little research a few months back and came up with Fluid Film as being the favorite out there among the amazon crowd. I dipped and lined everything in Fluid Film, gonna take things apart in 6 months and see whats the story.

Gavinras

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
im going to get the stainless steel bolts cause it wasnt just on the surface.View attachment 3221
Did you have issues with the main hood to body seal when you put the hood mounts back on? I took my hood hinges off the other day and now I can’t get the seal to sit/seal properly anymore. Just curious if you ran into the same problem?

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Did you have issues with the main hood to body seal when you put the hood mounts back on? I took my hood hinges off the other day and now I can’t get the seal to sit/seal properly anymore. Just curious if you ran into the same problem?
did you have a good look at the seal and aligment of the hood to body before you took off the hinges, cause that might be your problem, there was about a 1/8 inch gap on the left side of the hood. The gap that is perpendicular to the floor. In short I already had a misaligment gap on the left side from the factory. Are we talking about the same gap?
38BD21E0-23B6-46B5-AFC5-2E998C135956.jpeg

Gavinras

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I finally figured it out, you are right there is a decent gap on both sides for the seal to sit correctly without pinching/rolling. Thank you!

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Good call on the fluid film, it works wonders. Has anyone installed the hood mount Hi-Lift jack? I want to install one, but not if it is gonna rust.