Running 33s tires on bone stock Roxor

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So after hours of reading it's safe, acceptable, and won't harm anything if I put on 33 inch tires. Though I also read the 33s needs to be narrow I believe 7 inches?? Anyway are there any 33s that can fit a bone stock Roxor without any rubbing or needing to put a lift of any kind??

A

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You are adding threats faster than anyone can reply. I think you are on 4 at the same time for just about the same ropic now 😀

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm sorry I just like diffrent people's opinions and diffrent approaches lol. My bad though

txroadkill

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree with the multiple threads in play for essentially the same question. So in the essence of simplicity let’s make this one your build thread. you may have mentioned your Roxor setup in another thread but I don’t remember so let’s start from scratch. What kind of Roxor do you currently have? We know it’s a 20 with 5.38s. Do you have a factory lift? Any mods done to it already. Once we have that we can advise on how to get you to 33s.

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I agree with the multiple threads in play for essentially the same question. So in the essence of simplicity let’s make this one your build thread. you may have mentioned your Roxor setup in another thread but I don’t remember so let’s start from scratch. What kind of Roxor do you currently have? We know it’s a 20 with 5.38s. Do you have a factory lift? Any mods done to it already. Once we have that we can advise on how to get you to 33s.
It's all factory. No aftermarket parts whatsoever. No lifts of any kind. Thank you for making it just 1 thread. My apologies

Last edited:
txroadkill

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So no factory lift, gotcha. Ok my opinion is you cannot run 33s on your current setup. To run 33s properly you should have a level lift and longer shackles in the rear as the level lift tends to lift too much. The longer rear shackles will then put you perfectly level. There are many ways to do the level lift from springs, shackle reversal and a lower cost bracket kit or longer shackles front/rear. choose one that fits your budget and needs. The rear shackles I suggest a set from Climax Off-road. Once you level lift it you can run 33s but you will rub If you go off-road and flex it out. The rear fender opening will be really close to the tire at the bottom of the tub. Also look inside the wheel well towards the front and you’ll see a body mount that can also make contact with the tire. To help clear the tub I suggest installing a Cecco Racing body lift. It’ll lift the body 1” and will help clear the larger tires. You will still have that body mount but you can grind it some for clearance but at least you won’t flex into your body and possibly cause body damage. I’m running some pro comp wheels with 2.5” back spacing. It puts my tires out wide and away from that body mount. So far I have not had any issues with rubbing anywhere, including that body mount. You could get the same width increase by running wheel spacers but I’m not a fan of them. Also it’s very close to the same money for a set of quality spacers and a set of steel wheels with the proper back spacing.

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thank you for the information. I have seen some people on the forum stating to run 33s stock if the width is narrow enough with no issues. Can these dimensions work 255/85r16? The width is less than 0.7inch of a difference from stock comparison, with of course a 4 inch height difference from stock

txroadkill

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
This is 33s and no body lift. Just messing around on my trailer and the rear tire was just touching the fender.

Attachments

• FB3DAA61-7CC6-4EFC-B3BE-33F2B36876A7.jpeg
    FB3DAA61-7CC6-4EFC-B3BE-33F2B36876A7.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 39
W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thank you for the information. I have seen some people on the forum stating to run 33s stock if the width is narrow enough with no issues. Can these dimensions work 255/85r16? The width is less than 0.7 of a difference from stock comparison, with of course a 4 inch height difference from stock
This is 33s and no body lift. Just messing around on my trailer and the rear tire was just touching the fender.
You think a 2 to 3 inch body lift would clear that issue up? It seems it happens to you only in the trails, correct?

txroadkill

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have no idea if your intended tire size setup would be a problem. my gut says yes you’ll most likely touch upon full flex.

there are no body lifts available for the Roxor other than Cecco’s and it’s a 1”. Never run a body lift taller than that. They not only look stupid but it puts extra stress on the body mounts. And yes I added the Cecco because the clearance problem. It fixed it. However with the factory rake you might have problems with the front. For sure you’ll have problems with your front bumper unless you cut it or swap to a stubby. That’s with any Roxor and larger tire combo regardless of lift size.

A

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Wm435: maybe approach the issue in steps.

I'm speaking from experience. When I started building up my Roxor(s) there was very little information available. I did quite a bit of trial and error. Months in between steps.

Start with your use case (road/trail/off road) and decide what you want to solve first, second, third.....

1.) Your main concern seems to be the high RPMs. So, get the 33" tires.
1.a) As for size, 255-85-16 are narrow enough to nicely fit the stock rims (I have them on one Roxor). You will need spacers (1.5") at the same time you put on bigger tires to get a reasonable turning radius.
1.b) If you want wider tires (maybe 285s...I have them on one Roxor), I would get new rims, but you may not need to. You will also need (1.5") spacers...or rims with a different offset - if you get rims anyway.
You can drive it all day long on roads(!!) with either of the above options bevore you add shackles, lifts etc. - I did.

If you drive your Roxor on roads (gravel or paved), and you like the looks - well, your probably done.

2.) Drive the Roxor for a while (I did for weeks) and see how you like it. See if it fits for what you want to use it.

3.) Next, if you have to, make improvements:
3.a) If you want to level the look of your Roxor (bring up the front a couple inches)
- install an add-a-leaf in the front ($50 for the leafs and $150 at a local mechanic). Some say it makes the ride harsher. All personal preference. (search the forum for add-a-leaf)
3.b) if you need more articulation for some off roading (...and that means 10 things to 10 different people)... and have more money to spend
- add taller shackles in the back ($100, a jack, and an afternoon)
- need more lift in the front , there are things available that will cost maybe around $700 (e.g. On the Rox shackle reversal) plus install), MaxA on the forum designed shackles he sells.

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@Wm435: maybe approach the issue in steps.

I'm speaking from experience. When I started building up my Roxor(s) there was very little information available. I did quite a bit of trial and error. Months in between steps.

Start with your use case (road/trail/off road) and decide what you want to solve first, second, third.....

1.) Your main concern seems to be the high RPMs. So, get the 33" tires.
1.a) As for size, 255-85-16 are narrow enough to nicely fit the stock rims (I have them on one Roxor). You will need spacers (1.5") at the same time you put on bigger tires to get a reasonable turning radius.
1.b) If you want wider tires (maybe 285s...I have them on one Roxor), I would get new rims, but you may not need to. You will also need (1.5") spacers...or rims with a different offset - if you get rims anyway.
You can drive it all day long on roads(!!) with either of the above options bevore you add shackles, lifts etc. - I did.

If you drive your Roxor on roads (gravel or paved), and you like the looks - well, your probably done.

2.) Drive the Roxor for a while (I did for weeks) and see how you like it. See if it fits for what you want to use it.

3.) Next, if you have to, make improvements:
3.a) If you want to level the look of your Roxor (bring up the front a couple inches)
- install an add-a-leaf in the front ($50 for the leafs and $150 at a local mechanic). Some say it makes the ride harsher. All personal preference. (search the forum for add-a-leaf)
3.b) if you need more articulation for some off roading (...and that means 10 things to 10 different people)... and have more money to spend
- add taller shackles in the back ($100, a jack, and an afternoon)
- need more lift in the front , there are things available that will cost maybe around $700 (e.g. On the Rox shackle reversal) plus install), MaxA on the forum designed shackles he sells.
I decided to just be patient wait a few months so I can get the actual tires I really want in size 35s or 37.5s, along with a lift. I appreciate your insight on this matter that I beat to death with lol

A

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Wm435: good choice on taking your time when you go this big on tires. Sounds like a Max A. build now. I think Cloud went with 34" tires.
Keep in mind drive shaft angles with the big lift, how much the diameter of tires will affect braking, ....

Definitely keep us posted.

W

Wm435

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
@Wm435: good choice on taking your time when you go this big on tires. Sounds like a Max A. build now. I think Cloud went with 34" tires.
Keep in mind drive shaft angles with the big lift, how much the diameter of tires will affect braking, ....

Definitely keep us posted.
Yes sir will do

D

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So no factory lift, gotcha. Ok my opinion is you cannot run 33s on your current setup. To run 33s properly you should have a level lift and longer shackles in the rear as the level lift tends to lift too much. The longer rear shackles will then put you perfectly level. There are many ways to do the level lift from springs, shackle reversal and a lower cost bracket kit or longer shackles front/rear. choose one that fits your budget and needs. The rear shackles I suggest a set from Climax Off-road. Once you level lift it you can run 33s but you will rub If you go off-road and flex it out. The rear fender opening will be really close to the tire at the bottom of the tub. Also look inside the wheel well towards the front and you’ll see a body mount that can also make contact with the tire. To help clear the tub I suggest installing a Cecco Racing body lift. It’ll lift the body 1” and will help clear the larger tires. You will still have that body mount but you can grind it some for clearance but at least you won’t flex into your body and possibly cause body damage. I’m running some pro comp wheels with 2.5” back spacing. It puts my tires out wide and away from that body mount. So far I have not had any issues with rubbing anywhere, including that body mount. You could get the same width increase by running wheel spacers but I’m not a fan of them. Also it’s very close to the same money for a set of quality spacers and a set of steel wheels with the proper back spacing.

@txroadkill

TRK

I did a search and the only pro com wheels I could find are 15 x 8.... is this what you are running?

Thanks

txroadkill

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Mine are 15x8. 2.5” back spacing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk