ooooooooooo

Roxor tire size, rpm speed, and gearing

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m sure this has been covered and beaten to death but I couldn’t find it so here goes. I haven’t had any luck trying to figure out what gear ratio to tire size and rmp’s will be optimal when I re gear and 4 link my Roxor, I own a fab shop and have done this on several Jeeps but, I’m not sure where to start on this little 2.5 diesel, and I’m not sure what it will and won’t handle. Will stock axles handle 37 or 39” tires? I don’t know anything about what these little axles are capable of or can handle. Any info on what gearing would be optimal at 60 to 65 mph with 37” tires would be appreciated.

WShaulis

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey, not an expert by any means, but just some things I have heard on the boards. First, the axles are a somewhat altered Dana 44, front and rear, however I believe they are 19 spline. On The Rox has a 30 spline upgrade kit available. I know Wade at Diesel Freak does flashes on the ECU to correct for tire size and gearing as well. Many people seem to be running 35 " tires, but hopefully someone else can give insight to the 37-39" question

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Imo one would be better off getting some custom one tons built if they are gonna run the 37 and up tire size. This way you get more strength as well as a wider base. Especially if your gonna link it. Not much room on that front axle to put the links.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve got a set of single wheel ton axles but I was concerned about the added weight, and inertia that it would take to turn the bulk of the ton axles. That’s definitely an option if that turns out to be the best way to do it.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Your forgetting about the added leverage the taller tires have on your stock axles. Your worried about added weight from the axles but not the tires? Do the math on what you’ll need to beef up the stock axles and compare it to the tons. imo you’ll be marginal in strength once you hit 37s On stock axles vs the tons. With the tons you’ll get strength, better turning radius and a wider stance. The added weight you’ll never notice. Lots of Jeep and yota guys running small 4 cyl and one tons on 35s and up. Your overthinking it. And since you already have the tons it makes more sense to do the swap.

rifleman1981

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I just picked up my Roxor, the ton axles I had set back are From a single wheel ford, and are drivers side drop so that’s a no go. Any other suggestions for axle swaps? I think that’s gonna make me limited to gm and international scout axles...