ooooooooooo

roxor needs a fold down tailgate

mclayton

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have been interested in purchasing a Roxor. I currently own an atv. The thing I really didn't like was Roxor's swing out tailgate. A fold down tailgate makes it easier to load things and extends your length when hauling longer items.

B

Bister

This is an opinion that I wrote about the swinging tailgate on Facebook a while back:

This is my opinion of the swinging tailgate. If you would have gave me a choice of a swinging tailgate or a drop down one, I would have chosen the drop down one. Since I have hauled a couple loads of wood today, I am glad I didn’t have the choice. With the tailgate open it is out of the way and I can reach the front of the box easily. Also, when I swept it out, all the junk didn’t end up in the hinge. Every vehicle that I know that is older and used, not a “Parking lot Princess” with a drop down tailgate, it is usually all banged up in 10 years. I know our old Jeep tailgates and farm pick ups were and so is my 14 year old work truck. It’s not real bad, but it is bent. I’m glad I have a swinging one for my needs. ?
This is the first vehicle I have had with a swinging one. What’s your choice? For me, I would have chosen the wrong one. Lol

Edit: I have a 2007 Rhino with a broken tailgate.

46346639_10156997454158243_7990996729648381952_n.jpg
46353042_10156997454233243_6445129745167286272_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Swing out makes rear mounted spare a bit easier -- trade-offs and druthers. Were the bed longer or a dump bed, drop down no question.

RoxorSE

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE #052
I just wish my swing out tailgate would open wider. The stop that is welded prevents the tailgate from opening a full 90 degrees. The tailgate in the photo opens farther than mine. I added two photos, the perspective is a little difficult to photograph. One photo is from overhead.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

Last edited:
B

Bister

I just wish my swing out tailgate would open wider. The stop that is welded prevents the tailgate from opening a full 90 degrees. The tailgate in the photo opens farther than mine.
it just might look like that in that picture. Nothing a grinder and a welder won’t fix but I hate doing stuff like that to something new. Mine is right around the 90 degree mark. It would be nice to be a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

RidgeRunner

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
AGREED on the drop down tailgate!!! However, spare tire mount is given priority here it seems. But yes! I'd love my even more if it had this....

B

Bister

The swinging one is a bit of a pain sometimes for me. I do have to pay attention to which way I pull up to stuff to unload or load with the swinging on vs a drop down it wouldn't matter. A combo drop/swing tailgate would be nice.

RidgeRunner

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Agreed, I live on a mountain and that darn Gates always swinging the wrong way when I'm loading wood oh, I use a bungee to hold it open

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have had both. For me the swinging gate works great. Easy to reach all things in the bed and clean up is a snap. My gate opens more than 90 degrees. Like having my spare back there also. the only problem I have ever had is when hooking up a trailer with a pop up latch, I have to open the gate or my spare gets in the way of the trailer latch. Too lazy to install an offsett pintle hitch. (Cost Too) Bull dog hitches are no problem. As was said earlier. When sweeping out, no debree in the crack of the tailgate.

RidgeRunner

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have had both. For me the swinging gate works great. Easy to reach all things in the bed and clean up is a snap. My gate opens more than 90 degrees. Like having my spare back there also. the only problem I have ever had is when hooking up a trailer with a pop up latch, I have to open the gate or my spare gets in the way of the trailer latch. Too lazy to install an offsett pintle hitch. (Cost Too) Bull dog hitches are no problem. As was said earlier. When sweeping out, no debree in the crack of the tailgate.
Some Fair points made, thanks

B

Bister

Something I wouldn’t mind would be if it was easily removable and maybe just have a net. Sometimes I could just go without it, but I don’t feel like removing a bunch of bolts every time. Just a thought.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The swinging one is a bit of a pain sometimes for me. I do have to pay attention to which way I pull up to stuff to unload or load with the swinging on vs a drop down it wouldn't matter. A combo drop/swing tailgate would be nice.
A combo unit would be sweet! Not sure how it would work or look, but it would be nice.

As far as the spare goes, I've seen various models of Jeeps with a swing out spare carrier that mounts to the bumper, that swings the spare out of the way so either a drop down tailgate, or liftgate can be opened without any trouble. I'm sure they are big bucks though and good luck getting one to work on a Roxor...who knows though, maybe there is one that will bolt right up without major modifications.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just wish my swing out tailgate would open wider. The stop that is welded prevents the tailgate from opening a full 90 degrees. The tailgate in the photo opens farther than mine. I added two photos, the perspective is a little difficult to photograph. One photo is from overhead.View attachment 2136View attachment 2137
Man, that would suck to have it that limited! My '19 swings out just a hair over 90 degrees. And too bad it's a cut/grind/weld/paint situation to get it to open wider. You could probably get a different set of hinges with better placed stops through the dealer or somewhere that are already paint matched, I would think.

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I remember seeing yours in another thread...turned out great! What do you have for handles on the outside of the tailgate?

I'm basically stuck with the side opener, since I just put my spare on the tailgate.

Indy4570

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I am thinking there are many spare tire gates out there. the nissan pathfinder had some strong mounts. anything steel can be altered. I think the spares on the tailgate will fail in time, thats a lot of weight on a gate thats not so beefy

Steve243

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I remember seeing yours in another thread...turned out great! What do you have for handles on the outside of the tailgate?

I'm basically stuck with the side opener, since I just put my spare on the tailgate.

No handles on the outside of it. Just used CJ latches to secure when closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk