ooooooooooo

Replacing the clutch - any advise?

sdfoiler

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I will be upgrading the clutch after getting the Stage 2 Tune. Has anyone replaced their clutch yet, and if so, any advice? I've messed with a few old jeeps over the years, so have a little experience when it comes to this - but of course haven't seen anything on the Roxor yet.

Thanks in advance!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Haven’t done it myself but everything drivetrain wise is just like an old Jeep. Should be no surprises.

sdfoiler

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
After getting the new tune, the clutch was slipping at 40-50mph when getting on the throttle. So the plan to replace the clutch next winter turned into replacing it last weekend. Although it was a challenge, it was fairly straightforward. Here are the steps I used to get the clutch replaced. Hopefully it can help the next guy. I ended up going with the clutch and pressure plate from Diesel Freaks. Very happy with how much stronger the upgraded clutch/pressure plate is over stock. This procedure took probably about 8-10 hours total, but much of it was learning what had to come out.

Disconnect battery terminal
Need to remove the starter. We don't want any sparks if the starter wires hit the frame​

From the cab - remove Tranny shift arm:
Put Tranny in Neutral before starting - will need neutral to make sure gears align when installing transmission​
Remove the big plastic housing that the boot is attached to so you can gain access to the transmission shift lever attachment area.​
Cut plastic tie-wrap holding the rubber boot to the actual transmission​
Remove 2 bolts on each side to get the plungers and springs for centering the shift arm out​
Remove 3 bolts holding silver plate to transmission​
Remove transmission shift lever and put to the side​
Plug hole in transmission with rag to keep dirt out​

Remove Starter
3 bolts - 2 from the bottom, one from the engine compartment​

Remove Rear drive shaft
Have to totally remove rear drive shaft​
Disconnect front drive shaft from Transfer case

Disconnect 3 wires connected to Transmission/Transfer Case
RPM Sensor​
Speed Sensor​
Reverse Sensor?​

Remove hydraulic clutch plunger
2 bolts​

Put jack under skid plate for Oil Pan
Put Transmission Jack under transmission/Transfer case

Remove bolts from bell housing for Transmission
5 small bolts for dust shields must be removed - 3 on bottom, 2 on Passenger's side​
Remove 2 larger bell housing bolts from top​
Remove longer 2 bell housing bolts from bottom​

Pull transmission
Will need to lower as you remove to clear the bell housing from the Roxor body​
Tranny will NOT come out without shift lever removed totally - there is not enough room to drop tranny.​
Clean throwout bearing and transmission in general​
Grease throwout bearing shaft/arm/etc​

Remove old pressure plate and clutch

Install new pressure plate and clutch
Comes with new bolts/lock washers - I did not use loctite​
Install locating tool before you tighten bolts​
Remove locating tool when everything is tight​

Install tranny/transfer case with tranny jack
Lining this up is a challenge and requires 2 people​

Be careful when installing 4 bell housing bolts
Make sure nothing is binding and that everything is lined up before closing the gap between the bell housing and the engine.​

Leave Hydraulic plunger for the end
When everything is back together, I had to open the bleed valve on the hydraulic plunger in order to compress it enough to install. Once installed, I bled the hydraulic plunger by pressing on the clutch and opening the bleed valve for a brief instant

When connecting the 3 wires, Make sure the RPM sensor is connected correctly. It wasn't connected totally when I tried starting the Roxor. The Roxor will NOT fire and will not run if that sensor is not reading correctly. Took a bit to figure that out.

New clutch is MUCH stronger than the stock. Takes a bit more to push in, but feels much more stout than before. Pressing/releasing clutch takes a slight bit more effort, but nothing that would cause issues with most drivers.

NotMyProblem19K

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am currently in the middle of removing my transmission, got it to separate from the bell housing and I can't get that damned thing to come all the way off. Only thing I think I may be missing is the 2 bolts for the dust shield? Have been following your instructions since I'm new to this. Could you possibly elaborate on the 2 dust shield bolts on the passenger side you were talking about?

sdfoiler

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
If I remember correctly, the dust cover was held on by 5 bolts. You will need that dust cover totally loose in order to pull out the tranny. It's been awhile since we did this, so I can't remember exactly and I don't have the roxor here to look at. If you can take a pic, it may jog my memory. If I remember correctly, they were a pain to get to.

NotMyProblem19K

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If I remember correctly, the dust cover was held on by 5 bolts. You will need that dust cover totally loose in order to pull out the tranny. It's been awhile since we did this, so I can't remember exactly and I don't have the roxor here to look at. If you can take a pic, it may jog my memory. If I remember correctly, they were a pain to get to.
Hey there! Sorry for the late reply, I did figure it out and it was the two dust cover bolts on the passenger side. I just had a little trouble finding them. Thanks!

wpatter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Dang that seems pretty involved. I haven't had any slipping issues with my stage two so far but will keep this in mind if it starts to happen.