ooooooooooo

Relation to XD3T?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Does our engine have a rather recent relation to the Peugeot XD3T? Given our transmission's heritage, and images of the XD3T engine, I'd say that is seems plausible.

sandyx

Founding Member
No. Thar DI/m2dicr engine line comes from IH. Thar crde engine has XD3 lineage. Precursor to Roxor, the MM550 had an XD3-BA10(NGT5xx)(KMT90?) combo but Mahindra went back to IH based engine but kept the French based NGT5xx trans for their next model, the Major. Major gave way to Thar in two forms. So no, Roxor engine got no XD3 links afaik but the trans does.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any idea which IH? This engine definitely looks inspired by a Peugeot.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Awesome info.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What bellhousing patterns do these engines use? All the same?

sandyx

Founding Member
For the NGT series, yes all the same since it's an exact cast iron form of the aluminium ba10 bell housing.

War or peace, the jeep rolls on

Screenshot_20190117-124849_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190117-124857_Facebook.jpg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Other treasure trove, TY!

So if I'm reading this and inferring correctly, in India, you can find T90s mated to this lineage of engine? If so, that'd be awesome. I'd love to get my hands on some of those T90 bellhousings.

sandyx

Founding Member
KM/T90 is well respected offroad. NGT series took over from it. I'm not sure if the MDI3200 series was ever linked to kmt90 since it's a newer engine but other MDIs had their times with the kmt90. I can't vouch for all the info in the pic below but will give you a rough idea.

Screenshot_20190118-002956_Chrome.jpg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I haven't seen any picture of the KMT90 4 spd, but I don't think we got one here unless it's called something else. I'd have to find a picture of one. The 4 spds we had in the 70s were B&W units called T18 and T19, both extremely stout truck units. We got some mediocre aluminum 4 spds in the 80s that were not well loved (SR4 and T4).

We got a TON of 3pd T90s in the states. Very plentiful and very cheap and mate natively to a Spicer18 (T18 in the list above). What you will find is 99% of the bellhousings are for Willys 134 motors with the starter on our passenger side (India's driver's side). The T90 was also used against the Willys Wagon 226 flathead which had it's starter on our driver's side. Early Scouts also used T90s but IIRC they also had the starter on the passenger side.

Going off the above, and assuming the KMT90 is not overly compatible with the T90 (perhaps bad assumption), then the bellhousings I'd be after would be that of a CJ500D. A good question would be if that bell was used on any of the KMT90 setups.

I'd love to put one of these engines in a Willys pickup or FC of some sort. I think that would be awesome. Knowing the US market, many of these Roxor's will have V8 gas engines in them in a few years, and there will be some cheap engines hitting the aftermarkets. To my knowledge the US never got a higher volume, small solid axle 1/4 ton diesel pickup.

I think Roxors will be cannibalized frequently for 4x4 builds of various sorts, diesel based and gas.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nice find. That bell does not appear overly compatible with the T90.

Even if a CJ500 bell is had, it would still likely require a hydraulic pedal swap of some sort to use with LHD clutch setup. Sound doable tho. The Willys guys have already started using the pedal assembly from the Roxor to great effect.