ooooooooooo

Potential Owner in FL

Strubby

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hey all - I was very interested in a Roxor when they first came out and love how much aftermarket support they're already receiving. If I pull the trigger, I would start a build immediately.

It seems I would have $20k into it in no time. Do you guys feel it's worth the cost over a newer Jeep? The big benefit to me is I should still be able to ride in the UTV parks I currently use my RZR for.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Roxor and a UTV are apple and oranges really. $20k vs finding a ground up resto Jeep with a turbo diesel or new jeep...

Well in AZ I can drive it anywhere in this state, most of Utah, a good chunk of CO although I'm researching that, basically can take it from Mexico border to Canadian border, with limitations in other states (UT, ID, MT, WA)

It's worth it to me. I can't in no way do a complete frame off rebuild of a CJ/Yj/TJ, THEN do a 3 or 4BT swap, more for a R2.8, adaptors, likely trans and transfer case, full drive train swap for what mine ended up out the door. And that's not factoring I don't have access to a shop full of tools anymore.

I rather leave mine mostly stock except for a 3" lift, taller tires. Lockers and likely 4.10 gears are in the plans too. From that point extended cage and back seat. That's it. Looks like it would end up being $25k range in the end. You'd be hard pressed to find a rare and unique special built CJ in like new with a diesel at $25k.

Strubby

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
The street ability is what's swaying me the most. It would be great to use it around town, drive to the national forests for some trail riding or 5 miles to the beach. But in FL, it's no easier to put on the road than your average SxS. Certainly wouldn't drive it the same as the RZR on the trails.

I'm here to learn and decide if it's the best decision for our lifestyle. Thanks for the input.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I have been driving it in Florida for about 4 months with South Dakota motorcycle plates and still have never been pulled over, but I would like to have not to worry about having legal issues one day. I would get a complete frame off restored CJ-7 if I would have gone the less difficult route.
1979 Jeep CJ CJ7 304 V8 4x4 PS PB BRAND NEW WHEELS / TIRES 1979 JEEP CJ 7 CJ7 304 V8 4x4 PS PB BRAND NEW WHEELS / TIRES | eBay

Strubby

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have been driving it in Florida for about 4 months with South Dakota motorcycle plates and still have never been pulled over, but I would like to have not to worry about having legal issues one day. I would get a complete frame off restored CJ-7 if I would have gone the less difficult route.
1979 Jeep CJ CJ7 304 V8 4x4 PS PB BRAND NEW WHEELS / TIRES 1979 JEEP CJ 7 CJ7 304 V8 4x4 PS PB BRAND NEW WHEELS / TIRES | eBay

The guy I met has the same plate setup. Good to hear there's others down here with no issues. And that link you posted didn't help my decision any... lol

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

5113 miles! Holy crap!

Just curious, what's the deal with FL and Roxors? I thought they were OK with this.

FYI, you can game the system but nothing is guaranteed. If you are retired, what will a local or state cop say? "I'm retired and I also have a home in Florida".

You can get other state ID if you want. All 50 if you want to go that route. You will just have to go to that state and apply for an ID. I don't know of a single state that can lawfully deny an state issued ID 'IF" you provide valid proof of YOUR identity. Nothing I've seen ever included you must provide evidence of a mortgage, rent, utility. Some are even giving ID and licenses to illegals. As far as a non PO Box address there are 2 ways. One, a UPS box address and another is hotel address. If a homeless person can legally get a state ID or license so can you. Just may cost a tad more and you would have to wait to get the ID.

Cops do not have time road side to investigate your residence claim. I would know. And it's a free country. As of my retirement I can legally take up residence in Oaxaca Mexico as a legal TR resident of Mexico, get a Oaxaca driver's license, buy a Toyota Hilux 4x4 diesel registered in Oaxaca plates and drive in the US 364 days, go back to Mexico and turn around and reset the next day. Break zero laws even if a HSI special agent where to thoroughly investigate me, fly to Oaxaca and check around, validate my Mexican TR visa and license, look at all my crossings, and not a damn thing can be done other than put a lookout hit for secondary inspection at border crossings. Until I file a complaint, FOIA the record and get it removed. This is called gaming the system and not break the laws.

State to state, even easier. But that's up to the individual and usually one's employment can restrict such. But foe most... another deal.

No law can dictate your state residence but every state has a requirement to license the vehicle in the state you reside. Its a stretch but provides a valid argument if your state does not allow you to plate a certain vehicle and you've made an attempt, and you plated a vehicle in your other "temporary" state you reside at when you visit your uncle Lou, from South Dakota.

I live in Arizona so I do see quite a bit of this from snow birds. Active duty military also gets a break. Every state will honor any other state or NATIONAL driver's license and registration irregardless of immigration or visa status. This is widely reciprocated.

NOW, caveat: THE SMALL PLATE we get for this vehicle may not carry that weight. Like I probably won't take my Rox into CA or OR but seems OK in UT, ID, MT, WA most of CO, have yet to check WY, so on...

Last edited:

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
"Do you guys feel it's worth the cost over a newer Jeep?"

The ruggedness, simplicity and that turbo diesel did it for me. No abs, tpms, abs, srs, etc to worry about. Basic tools to work on it and field repairs should be easy. A very cool tinker toy IMO.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
5113 miles! Holy crap!

Just curious, what's the deal with FL and Roxors? I thought they were OK with this.

FYI, you can game the system but nothing is guaranteed. If you are retired, what will a local or state cop say? "I'm retired and I also have a home in Florida".

You can get other state ID if you want. All 50 if you want to go that route. You will just have to go to that state and apply for an ID. I don't know of a single state that can lawfully deny an state issued ID 'IF" you provide valid proof of YOUR identity. Nothing I've seen ever included you must provide evidence of a mortgage, rent, utility. Some are even giving ID and licenses to illegals. As far as a non PO Box address there are 2 ways. One, a UPS box address and another is hotel address. If a homeless person can legally get a state ID or license so can you. Just may cost a tad more and you would have to wait to get the ID.

Cops do not have time road side to investigate your residence claim. I would know. And it's a free country. As of my retirement I can legally take up residence in Oaxaca Mexico as a legal TR resident of Mexico, get a Oaxaca driver's license, buy a Toyota Hilux 4x4 diesel registered in Oaxaca plates and drive in the US 364 days, go back to Mexico and turn around and reset the next day. Break zero laws even if a HSI special agent where to thoroughly investigate me, fly to Oaxaca and check around, validate my Mexican TR visa and license, look at all my crossings, and not a damn thing can be done other than put a lookout hit for secondary inspection at border crossings. Until I file a complaint, FOIA the record and get it removed. This is called gaming the system and not break the laws.

State to state, even easier. But that's up to the individual and usually one's employment can restrict such. But foe most... another deal.

No law can dictate your state residence but every state has a requirement to license the vehicle in the state you reside. Its a stretch but provides a valid argument if your state does not allow you to plate a certain vehicle and you've made an attempt, and you plated a vehicle in your other "temporary" state you reside at when you visit your uncle Lou, from South Dakota.

I live in Arizona so I do see quite a bit of this from snow birds. Active duty military also gets a break. Every state will honor any other state or NATIONAL driver's license and registration irregardless of immigration or visa status. This is widely reciprocated.

NOW, caveat: THE SMALL PLATE we get for this vehicle may not carry that weight. Like I probably won't take my Rox into CA or OR but seems OK in UT, ID, MT, WA most of CO, have yet to check WY, so on...

i like that I pay $900 for full coverage for the roxor for the whole year with progressive due to it being a motorcycle!
it could have been way cheaper, but i got the package with the most bells and whistles.

Strubby

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thanks for all the input guys. The RZR is officially listed for sale. Although I wish we could get a FL plate on the Roxor, I think the wife and I will use it 10X the amount we use the RZR. And that matters most.

If I can sell my father's Ranger Highlifter, even he's on board!

Side note on the license - in FL, you have to show proof of residence, at least two documents. Not sure about other states. The 'snow bird' comment is a very valid point down here, except my license and the Roxor registration would have my FL address, and the plate would be a South Dakota 'motorcycle' plate. Just don't get pulled over, and it will likely be a non-issue.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks for all the input guys. The RZR is officially listed for sale. Although I wish we could get a FL plate on the Roxor, I think the wife and I will use it 10X the amount we use the RZR. And that matters most.

If I can sell my father's Ranger Highlifter, even he's on board!

Side note on the license - in FL, you have to show proof of residence, at least two documents. Not sure about other states. The 'snow bird' comment is a very valid point down here, except my license and the Roxor registration would have my FL address, and the plate would be a South Dakota 'motorcycle' plate. Just don't get pulled over, and it will likely be a non-issue.
dirt legal can get you the Florida plate if you dont have a lien on the title and pay $2000, which increased from $499 a few months ago, just for Florida.

Strubby

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
dirt legal can get you the Florida plate if you dont have a lien on the title and pay $2000, which increased from $499 a few months ago, just for Florida.

On a different UTV without a FL title, yes, but not the Roxor according to them. I already asked. Where did you hear different?