ooooooooooo

Planned Progress

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I've had my Roxor since August 4th. I bought the Classic version they had at Nash Powersports. In short, I first saw it at Nash by coincidence in July. I always intended to do a CJ rebuild with a 4 cyl turbo diesel. After I saw the Rox, I knew at that price it was a deal. I know how much time and money it will take to rebuild and convert. No way I could come close to the price of a new Roxor and in years to come parts shopping would be a challenge.

So, I bit the bullet and had to finance this one. No biggie because it'll be paid before the end of this year. And the whole not road legal thing, well, if there is a will there is a way. And I'm in Arizona. Another thing, I want to stay close to a stock config. Some mods but I won't be doing a long arm suspension, 37" tires, and so on. It'll be "practical" as a daily driver with off road capabilities. I make no qualms to say my former RZR 1000 was far more off road capable. But that's where it ends. I wan't a daily use durable vehicle that isn't a typical millenniumnized soccer mom ride. One of my other options was to get a deuce and a half and either bob it or use as is a daily driver. trust me when I say the Rox is easier.

So far my mods in order:
ECU tune (basic), by local VR. I really do not want to depart to the point I have to look at heavy duty clutches or other

Windshield, went the CJ5 route, it is an exact match at the base, hinge holes a tad off. Seat height is too high FOR me. And then it's the ROPS issue. You will have to come up with different solution. The CJ windshield did great. It's sturdy. But I went with a Nash supplied galss that was Roxor specific. Either way there is no economical short cut. Some more minor mods will be next on this area,

Turn signals. The current offerings are way too expensive for what they are. I'm pretty handy with auto electronics, so I made my own. Set aside that I already had 2 amber and 2 red Rigid A lights, and I have 14-16 gauge wire that can be easily salvaged from any vehicle, all I had to buy was a on-off-on swith and a flasher for LED lights. I spent time mounting those lights and went with a separate from any stock wiring harness. So I routed my wires and tapped in to the power outlet as it's on when they keys are on position. I ended up breaking the cheap paddle of the switch and now have a lighted rocker version. Works like a charm. I doubt I had spent more than $50 and that's buying the second switch for $15. I wanted to go with the Grote turn signal switch but now I will stay with the simple system. Less things to break and easy to fix.

Lights. My son gave me his Rigid E2 30 and the same mounts for a TJ worked on the Rox, I thought about using the stock wire but decided again for my simplicity to stand alone it. I know how so in the future I would know how to fix it.

My Rox is tame in comparison with many. Then again I have almost 800 miles with 90% on road. I would have more except between September to December I've been out of town a lot.

So my planned future mods, most will be done this year:

Factory Winch Bumper. I've looked around and trying to mod a CJ bumper and add winch, winch plate, well at that price it's not a bad deal.

Clevis mounts, AKA D rings, It's clevis hooks.

Warn hubs.

Heater. In central AZ is not a must have, but nice to have maybe 3 months of the year.

Windshield wipers. My Rox has all the required road equipment except the one thing. So I'm looking for good options here. The Nash windshield does have room for wipers.

2.5 front lift. C'mon. The Rox should have never left the factory with a rake like that. Plus need some spring for a winch weight.

Steel wheels. And I mean the old school steelies. Eventually I'm going one or two tire sizes up. keeping them skinny for a true classic.

Radio. As in two way. Myself and 3 kids with ham radio licenses.

Top. Likely hard top.

Extended ROPS. I'm staying with the original but I want the rear section to cover a future rear seat.

Rear seat Like I said.

Differential locks, rear and front. This is really a top priority. Anyone who knows anything about off road vehicles knows lockers make a huge difference. I haven't decided if to go with an expensive Ox or lunchbox. I guess I’m giving it time to see what develops or when the Ox becomes a reasonable price point.

As far as sound system, with blue tooth and stand alone speaker options or head phones why a sound bar?

Until the battery gives out, AGM battery with more capacity. Maybe look at a dual battery down the road.

That's really it. Nothing departing too far from stock. At this time no plan for EGR delete. It may happen. Until I have an issue I'm leaving it alone. I will have add ons such as shovel, axe, saw, trax, Tuffy glove box. I'll let ya'll know.

Other than that a military color. All of it.

I’m not doing any extreme rock crawling or high speed desert pre runner. If you look at your typical military or border patrol vehicle they are not an extreme vehicle. A daily road/off road vehicle that does more than just transport people.

7mJ9EpyETPCnuvY06SAGaA.jpg

Last edited:

sandyx

Founding Member
2.5 front lift. C'mon. The Rox should have never left the factory with a rake like that.

Thar being a people carrier in India, that rake will vanish once 'loaded'. Same eqpt is sold in US without any major changes to save as much. Maybe they will tweak it for US market going forward.

Get rid of the EGR, sooner the better. It's already mucked up by now I guess and it won't have the longevity of the original mdi3200 engine if it stays.

Ccoombes

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Looks great! Thats about the same direction I want to go with mine. How much was windshield from Nash?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm with Sandyx. EGR delete is for durability of the engine. Mine was disabled before it hit 50 miles lol

Your list is much like mine. Keep it mild and run it forever. Add useful tools and such. Mine will be dressed up like a Golden Eagle though.

Some of my shopping list:
2.5 front/level and 265s (~32s)
I plan on doing some axle internal mods - 30 splines, TruTracs, CV front and full float rear
Full (all the way back) soft top and prolly a half hard cab/doors (I love the increased visibility of the Roxor over the CJs and the ROPS system is very nice, so I'm gonna work with the stock setup.)

Mine will be street driven so heater/defrost/wipers/turns/squirts/etc, all the legal stuff.

I do eventually want to run mechanical diesel injection, but not until eCR system fails. I will likely install water/air filtration to give the eCR system the best chance at a long life.

Compshooter

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I've had my Roxor since August 4th. I bought the Classic version they had at Nash Powersports. In short, I first saw it at Nash by coincidence in July. I always intended to do a CJ rebuild with a 4 cyl turbo diesel. After I saw the Rox, I knew at that price it was a deal. I know how much time and money it will take to rebuild and convert. No way I could come close to the price of a new Roxor and in years to come parts shopping would be a challenge.

So, I bit the bullet and had to finance this one. No biggie because it'll be paid before the end of this year. And the whole not road legal thing, well, if there is a will there is a way. And I'm in Arizona. Another thing, I want to stay close to a stock config. Some mods but I won't be doing a long arm suspension, 37" tires, and so on. It'll be "practical" as a daily driver with off road capabilities. I make no qualms to say my former RZR 1000 was far more off road capable. But that's where it ends. I wan't a daily use durable vehicle that isn't a typical millenniumnized soccer mom ride. One of my other options was to get a deuce and a half and either bob it or use as is a daily driver. trust me when I say the Rox is easier.

So far my mods in order:
ECU tune (basic), by local VR. I really do not want to depart to the point I have to look at heavy duty clutches or other

Windshield, went the CJ5 route, it is an exact match at the base, hinge holes a tad off. Seat height is too high FOR me. And then it's the ROPS issue. You will have to come up with different solution. The CJ windshield did great. It's sturdy. But I went with a Nash supplied galss that was Roxor specific. Either way there is no economical short cut. Some more minor mods will be next on this area,

Turn signals. The current offerings are way too expensive for what they are. I'm pretty handy with auto electronics, so I made my own. Set aside that I already had 2 amber and 2 red Rigid A lights, and I have 14-16 gauge wire that can be easily salvaged from any vehicle, all I had to buy was a on-off-on swith and a flasher for LED lights. I spent time mounting those lights and went with a separate from any stock wiring harness. So I routed my wires and tapped in to the power outlet as it's on when they keys are on position. I ended up breaking the cheap paddle of the switch and now have a lighted rocker version. Works like a charm. I doubt I had spent more than $50 and that's buying the second switch for $15. I wanted to go with the Grote turn signal switch but now I will stay with the simple system. Less things to break and easy to fix.

Lights. My son gave me his Rigid E2 30 and the same mounts for a TJ worked on the Rox, I thought about using the stock wire but decided again for my simplicity to stand alone it. I know how so in the future I would know how to fix it.

My Rox is tame in comparison with many. Then again I have almost 800 miles with 90% on road. I would have more except between September to December I've been out of town a lot.

So my planned future mods, most will be done this year:

Factory Winch Bumper. I've looked around and trying to mod a CJ bumper and add winch, winch plate, well at that price it's not a bad deal.

Clevis mounts, AKA D rings, It's clevis hooks.

Warn hubs.

Heater. In central AZ is not a must have, but nice to have maybe 3 months of the year.

Windshield wipers. My Rox has all the required road equipment except the one thing. So I'm looking for good options here. The Nash windshield does have room for wipers.

2.5 front lift. C'mon. The Rox should have never left the factory with a rake like that. Plus need some spring for a winch weight.

Steel wheels. And I mean the old school steelies. Eventually I'm going one or two tire sizes up. keeping them skinny for a true classic.

Radio. As in two way. Myself and 3 kids with ham radio licenses.

Top. Likely hard top.

Extended ROPS. I'm staying with the original but I want the rear section to cover a future rear seat.

Rear seat Like I said.

Differential locks, rear and front. This is really a top priority. Anyone who knows anything about off road vehicles knows lockers make a huge difference. I haven't decided if to go with an expensive Ox or lunchbox. I guess I’m giving it time to see what develops or when the Ox becomes a reasonable price point.

As far as sound system, with blue tooth and stand alone speaker options or head phones why a sound bar?

Until the battery gives out, AGM battery with more capacity. Maybe look at a dual battery down the road.

That's really it. Nothing departing too far from stock. At this time no plan for EGR delete. It may happen. Until I have an issue I'm leaving it alone. I will have add ons such as shovel, axe, saw, trax, Tuffy glove box. I'll let ya'll know.

Other than that a military color. All of it.

I’m not doing any extreme rock crawling or high speed desert pre runner. If you look at your typical military or border patrol vehicle they are not an extreme vehicle. A daily road/off road vehicle that does more than just transport people.

View attachment 2767
What are those two thingamabobs on your front bumper? They look like proximity sensors.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I pulled my egr at a hundred miles and it was already gumed up. You should pull it as cheap insurance. Jimby makes a kit for around a hundred or you can get the plates off eBay for about 30