ooooooooooo

Opinions appreciated

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hi everyone, I'm not yet an owner but maybe soon.
I would appreciate input on the use of the Rotor as a farm hand. Right now I use a 2000 lb RTV 900 with aggressive 26" Blackwater Evolution tires. I have over 4000 hrs on the rtv and feel it's time to replace it before it starts needing big repairs and those costly parts.
It seems I trail ride every day working on the cattle farm. Lots of mud this winter and really just terrible trying to get around to tend to the cattle. It's not just one low place but continuous mud for long areas. I will miss the hydraulic cargo bed on what I have but it isn't used that much. I mainly need to know how good this 3000 lb Rotor is in serious mud. I like the looks of simplicity though and gosh, it just so cool looking. thank you for imput on this. bordercollie

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Serious mud does mean different things to different people. Mud months in the North might mean serious mud to me but not you, etc. One of the great perks of a vehicle like the Roxor is not exactly what it comes like, which is incredibly capable, but that it comes immensely alterable to exactly your needs. If you need more tire width for mud flotation, some lift to clear the tires, selectable lockers for traction, all doable. While this is doable on many UTVs, most don't have the base chassis to handle this very well over time. The Roxor does (to a point of course).

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Spring thaw mud in the north is nasty stuff. For a few weeks a year, I generally use a Willys with some old skinny Super Traction tires to get my mail (roughly a mile drive though a retired two track/logging road). This is now one of the Roxor's many jobs around my land.

From my experience with mud, pairing the right tires makes a massive difference.

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Definitely will need tires, (31 inch is about as big as you can go without any other mods), the stockers are good for all terrain but not mud they ball up real easy and i'd also recommend at least a rear locker too. Also, look at ECU reflash to give you some more ponies under the hood! Other than that,they are a very capable machine.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok. This isn’t the correct thread, but I was watching Outdoor Channal Ted Nigent Sprit of the Wild and saw my first ROXOR commercial. Pretty good commercial, just an overview and comparison to the Willis. Glad Mahindra is spending the money on advertising.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank ya'll for the insight. I am really torn about this choice I need to make by summer. It will be either a Roxor or a RTV like I have. My budget is no more that 17g. Once I buy one or the other any mods will be out of range for my pocketbook. Aggressive tires are a necessity. Down here in MS right now its extremely wet with standing water on many fields for long distances. I was wondering about aggressive tires 26". The Blackwater Evolutions I have bought 2 sets during 4'000 hrs of use and are/was 8 ply ( 26 11 12 )in rear and have heavy weight ratings (my Kubota rtv 900 weighs 2,000 lbs) and it's hard to tell when they are low on air even then. ( I ran over a wooden spike and ruined one of the rears other wise they still had good lugs.) They are rated for about 30 psi . So do ya'll think I could use such a similar tire? I won't be going fast -at most 35 on small sections of pavement between fields. Usually in the pastures, I'd be going much slower.. I'd be tagging / weighing calves putting out minerals, spraying fence rows etc... a purely work machine. The lockers sound like a necessity for me, So mainly I'm not buying for speed but getting me where I need to go and do my farm work. There are many places I won't dare take the rtv because it will not throw mud but just sinks... Only prayers get me home in those instances.
Also this engine I know very little about , if well maintained, how long will it go without serious fixes. I'd expect a lot of it as far as worry free. What do ya'll think. I do like simple and the underside looks good. I like the looks of the driveshafts and automotive like possibility of diy parts installation. for example the one piece 4wd ds on the bota is over 600 for the part alone.
Thank ya'll again for taking the time to help me sort this out. ..

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Did old timers in your area use Willys back in the day to run their ranches down there? Up here, they used em for all sorts of stuff - ranch/farm hand, logging, power line rigs, mail carriers, mine ops, you name it. If they did, this is the modern equivalent. If a Willys could do it, this can too.

This can likely run much larger tires than the Kub. If you're really soggy, I'd think very wide tires would be what you're after. You can check out videos of old Jeeps driving on water they have so much flotation. I'd think you def wanna float over that bog.

Another angle here is the Roxor could potentially replace a grocery getter rig depending on MS road rules.

About the engine, do some homework on it. The more I read, the more I like. Internally it's built like a diesel should be IMO. The old school IH roots are neat too.

B

Bister

I don't farm but I drive around in conditions you mention(the farm/valley I grew up on). I went with rear lockers over bigger tires to start with for a bit extra traction and fronts on order. I have places I could end up with tires off the ground in dry conditions, that's why I wanted at least rear lockers. The Roxor will go through more than an RTV will I'm pretty sure.

I hope to get a set of steel rims (someday) and an extra set of tires better for mud/snow and use the current ones in the summer/drier conditions. I did this on my old Rhino.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have had a Kubota RTV and it is a formidable piece of equipment. However, it cannot hold a candle to the capabilities of the ROXOR in any environment or conditions.

Dutch

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I wanted to give you an update on the Underground mining Roxors. 4 months underground in the harshest environment imaginable, hauling miners and equipment several miles underground through thick, deep mud. So far the only part replaced is one starter that packed full of mud. They have learned to seal them up better and have not needed to replace more. The Roxors are replacing Kubota diesel UTV's which had poor reliability, needing transmissions sometimes in less than 300 hrs. They have now purchased 8

Kyjondeere

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Thank ya'll for the insight. I am really torn about this choice I need to make by summer. It will be either a Roxor or a RTV like I have. My budget is no more that 17g. Once I buy one or the other any mods will be out of range for my pocketbook. Aggressive tires are a necessity. Down here in MS right now its extremely wet with standing water on many fields for long distances. I was wondering about aggressive tires 26". The Blackwater Evolutions I have bought 2 sets during 4'000 hrs of use and are/was 8 ply ( 26 11 12 )in rear and have heavy weight ratings (my Kubota rtv 900 weighs 2,000 lbs) and it's hard to tell when they are low on air even then. ( I ran over a wooden spike and ruined one of the rears other wise they still had good lugs.) They are rated for about 30 psi . So do ya'll think I could use such a similar tire? I won't be going fast -at most 35 on small sections of pavement between fields. Usually in the pastures, I'd be going much slower.. I'd be tagging / weighing calves putting out minerals, spraying fence rows etc... a purely work machine. The lockers sound like a necessity for me, So mainly I'm not buying for speed but getting me where I need to go and do my farm work. There are many places I won't dare take the rtv because it will not throw mud but just sinks... Only prayers get me home in those instances.
Also this engine I know very little about , if well maintained, how long will it go without serious fixes. I'd expect a lot of it as far as worry free. What do ya'll think. I do like simple and the underside looks good. I like the looks of the driveshafts and automotive like possibility of diy parts installation. for example the one piece 4wd ds on the bota is over 600 for the part alone.
Thank ya'll again for taking the time to help me sort this out. ..
I'm not familiar with the Blackwater Evolutions, but you can now get the Roxor with EFX Motovators from the factory. They are more of a UTV tire with more aggressive tread than the BFG AT/KO2 from the factory.

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Check out this channel. Lives close to me but I don't know him. It is just as muddy in South LA as MS right now.

Red, White, & Roxor

His ride will be the ultimate combination of mud capability, longevity and strength when he gets lockers. In one video he said he is waiting for the 30 spline axles to come out.

I replaced a Kubota RTV 900 with a Roxor but it's not quite done being kitted out yet. Will be soon. More to come on that later.

B

Bister

I wanted to give you an update on the Underground mining Roxors. 4 months underground in the harshest environment imaginable, hauling miners and equipment several miles underground through thick, deep mud. So far the only part replaced is one starter that packed full of mud. They have learned to seal them up better and have not needed to replace more. The Roxors are replacing Kubota diesel UTV's which had poor reliability, needing transmissions sometimes in less than 300 hrs. They have now purchased 8

Excellent to hear. This is the first one heading to a Potash Mine here in Saskatchewan. Hopefully the first of many for my dealer.

jose

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

Please keep us updated. I'm really curious about the underground toughness.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Wow everyone . These are really great replies/answers to my questions . I would like to go and get one right now ! haha !! I have one lined up to go and put my hands on next week .. I want to crawl under it and shake it all around. I would like to find an '18 limited with the old model discount if there aren't too big of changes between 18's and the 19's..
My pocketbook says find an '18 and take advantage of the discount so maybe could get the limited model for a tad more than budget. I don't like to think about it but must consider those taxes on such a purchase as they do add up. That soft roof/light bar wouldn't last too long here as there are many tree limbs along the fences and cows love to run under those when I'm trying to herd them . I'd need to either fabricate one or do without. So have that sorted out .. now for the lockers ya'll speak of. Gotta check those out too. Please keep those opinions coming. I going to look at those tires now and that link shared with me too.
Thanks to each of you !

B

Bister

I never worried about getting a light bar on mine, or a top cause I knew I would be getting the soft cab. Now I wouldn't get one cause I am sure a hard cab is coming and it would just be removed. It has real headlights, not like the little candles in the old SxS's, they are better than my 2004 pick up, so to me the light bar wasn't required and you can always add one on after if needed.

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just a stock tire and wheel option. Ebay 235 75 15 forceum mud tires $330 for all 4 and pro comp 15x8 steel wheels $180 for all 4 thats what i put on mine

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you all again for great recommendations .
It been an exciting day !!! I went and test drove a Roxor. It shifted easily and was just all around a positive experience. I could tell that they had limited experience with them and wondered if the answer to my question on the locking wheels was accurate. The young salesman was under the impression that the 2019 auto lock . Is this accurate? It had the BFG tires and also a hard top on one I looked at . I really liked that because a softie wouldn't do with all of the limbs here. I also saw a standard 2"receiver hitch. The windshield wasn't on the one I test drove but saw it on others . It looked really nice.. Now to save up . All of the good deals on 2018's will probably be gone by the time I sell the kub ( gotta fix a few things) . I thought that the salesman was gonna laugh his head off when I slid under that machine and just kept going forward looking under there. I'm gonna GO FOR IT brothers and sisters ! It will most likely be a few months and provided they don't go out of reach by then-
edit: I was only disappointed at how tall the steering wheel was...

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thank you all again for great recommendations .
It been an exciting day !!! I went and test drove a Roxor. It shifted easily and was just all around a positive experience. I could tell that they had limited experience with them and wondered if the answer to my question on the locking wheels was accurate. The young salesman was under the impression that the 2019 auto lock . Is this accurate? It had the BFG tires and also a hard top on one I looked at . I really liked that because a softie wouldn't do with all of the limbs here. I also saw a standard 2"receiver hitch. The windshield wasn't on the one I test drove but saw it on others . It looked really nice.. Now to save up . All of the good deals on 2018's will probably be gone by the time I sell the kub ( gotta fix a few things) . I thought that the salesman was gonna laugh his head off when I slid under that machine and just kept going forward looking under there. I'm gonna GO FOR IT brothers and sisters ! It will most likely be a few months and provided they don't go out of reach by then-
edit: I was only disappointed at how tall the steering wheel was...
Unless something drastic has changed then no they do not auto lock. It is very
Possible that the dealer installed some spartan lockers in that particular machine being that what your describing sounds like A roxor with some mods, but I would not take the salesmans word for it. Talk to somebody in service, trust me, it is something they would remember doing (about 10 hrs of work for front and back, ask me how I know). If you can't get a clear answer or you are afraid they are full of crap(that is NOT totaly unheard of) you can jack up the rear of your ride and spin one tire forward, if it has an auto locker both sides sould spin, then once both are spinning turn the tire on your side in the reverse direction and you should clearly hear an audible "ratcheting" sound while the other wheel continues in the initial direction for lack of a better description. If this dosnt make sense then look up a video of it on YouTube(testing spartan locker for function should get you close) good luck.

B

Bister

SonnyD, it just so happens I have a clip of what you speak of. So I just uploaded it. I didn't think it would be of any use to anyone. lol

Here is a clip I did of mine a while ago just to see what it was like. I have absolutely NO experience with how they should be, but I was informed that this is all normal and to go have fun. I have them on order for the front now also. I am glad I have them in the back, kind of getting greasy getting out of the valley with the melt.

FYI: They are not this loud when on the road. I have to turn off my tunes and listen really close just to hear them click on a corner.