ooooooooooo

OBD Scanner Review

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
After using an OBD scanner tool for several months, I thought I write a brief review.

The components:
- OBD II adapter (e.g. Dirt Legal): the Roxor has a non standard plug. You will need the adapter to plug in the scanner tool
- Veepak OBD II scanner: this small hardware module plugs into the OBD adapter.
- Car Scannner app: this app connects ro the scanner module via bluetooth and displays sensor data on your phone, tablet, etc.

OBD II adapter:
Plug it into the port just above the clutch pedal and your good to go. No matter what OBD II scanner you pick, you will need this adapter. Probably less than $20.

Veepak OBD II scanner:
Once plugged into the adapter, a blue LED will turn light up. On your phone (tablet) select the Veepak and let it connect via Bluetooth. Thats it.
The module costs less than $35 online.

Car Scanner App
That is the one I picked. It is a free download on the app store. There are many like it.
When you open the app, you select a vehicle. The Roxor is not on the list. Just pick "other".
The app allows you to set up screens on your phone (tablet). You can pick 1, 2, 3, etc sensors to display on the screen. You can build multiple screens and can swipe from one to another.
Setting up the screens is pretty straight forward. Actually, you can set up screens without the app being connected to the scanner hardware. Say, you want to sit on the sofa and set up screens, just pick Demo Mode after you open the app. The app will apply what you set up in Demo Mode when you connect it.
Attached is a screenshot of the sensor data I dispaly on my phone.
Screenshot_20210918-130546.jpg

You can select different styles: numbers (what I picked), dials, etc.
You can change the names of sensors (e.g. some sensor names are too long to display in one line. You van abbreviate the names).
You can set font sizes, text color, number of digits, etc.

Sensor available are (just some examples)
- coolant tem
- Intake air temp (IAT)
- barometric pressure (see my post on EGT)
- MAP (see my post on EGT)
- OBD voltage (battery voltage with ignition ON, alternator voltage when engine runs)
- calculated boost (app calculates: MAP - Barometric = boost the turbo produces)
- fuel rail pressure (it runs around 28k psi)
- RPM
- speed: I have not tried this one, but will. If this can dispaly the speed, one could use the phone or tablet instead of the odometer.
- and more....
- there are some calculations the app will do. I am not sure how accurate = useful they are: fuel rate, average fuel consumption, .... I display Calculated Boost to see what boost the turbo generates.

I installed the OBD II adapter in each of my Roxors. Now I just need to plug in the scanner in whichever one I drive.

For what this setup cost, it is well worth it. It is pretty simple to set up and operate

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update on the speed display. I just tried the speed dispaly. It works!
The app says that it is not accurate (liability reasons, I am sure). Keep in mind the app could be used on a Porsche at 165 mph. So it it is off by 5% thats a big deal. On a Roxor, not so important.

All of you fuys with broken speedometers, here is your solution!
Get a scanner plus app and display speed on your phone or tablet.
You could have a 10", 12" whatever size display with sensor data the stock display doesn't show. (Of course you will need to keep it plugged in).

Hope this helps.

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update on the speed display. I just tried the speed dispaly. It works!
The app says that it is not accurate (liability reasons, I am sure). Keep in mind the app could be used on a Porsche at 165 mph. So it it is off by 5% thats a big deal. On a Roxor, not so important.

All of you fuys with broken speedometers, here is your solution!
Get a scanner plus app and display speed on your phone or tablet.
You could have a 10", 12" whatever size display with sensor data the stock display doesn't show. (Of course you will need to keep it plugged in).

Hope this helps.
Just to help clarify what you already figured out on your own. The speedometer on the Roxor is all digital. So the speed you are reading through the app is the same exact data that the speedometer uses. It's kind of funny if you think about it, but the speedometer has a little motor in it to convert that digital data back into mechanical motion for the needle sweep. It's like we've gone full circle from the old cable driven speedometers. The only data that is unique to the speedometer on the Roxor is the odometer reading. That is actually calculated in the unit from speed the speed data.

Kinetixrcr

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Some are definitely better than others. I think you'll find that the ones that are tied to a specific device tend to have a better interface. Autometer's Dashlink seems to be pretty popular. That being said, I've been using an older Obdlink product for about 5 years now without issue. If you are looking for something that you can leave in the vehicle long term, you may want to check out Scangauge.