ooooooooooo

No question about the Roxor's ability... well... after lockers and tires were added...

BigDaddy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
When I first got the roxor I was really unimpressed with the open differentials and small tires. I bought it for off road. The open differential just baffles me honestly.

So, I installed 32-11.5-15 bfg Mud terrains and spartan lockers front and back.

The last two days I have really have put the roxor through its paces off road, hill climbing, over obstacles like downed trees, boulders, through muddy streams...

It performs beyond my expectations and the turbo diesel really pulls in the right gear up hills.

20180901_151156.jpg

BigDaddy

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It is funny you mention that, I thought for sure something was installed wrong when i received it back. Not only was the rear end noisy, it clunked regularly, in sync with the axle rotation. Everyone warned me that it was going to be noisy, especially initially.

Holy mackerel! It was, but the clunking went away in about 20 miles... the rear end is getting quieter and quieter the more i drive.

the turning radius is affected with front locker, I will say that in 2wd it's not that noticeable, but in 4wd it likes to go straight, lol... a lot. But it's so worth it.... its unstoppable...

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It is funny you mention that, I thought for sure something was installed wrong when i received it back. Not only was the rear end noisy, it clunked regularly, in sync with the axle rotation. Everyone warned me that it was going to be noisy, especially initially.

Holy mackerel! It was, but the clunking went away in about 20 miles... the rear end is getting quieter and quieter the more i drive.

the turning radius is affected with front locker, I will say that in 2wd it's not that noticeable, but in 4wd it likes to go straight, lol... a lot. But it's so worth it.... its unstoppable...
I have 1500 miles on my spartan luchbox locker and I don't even notice that it is their unless I cut wheels all the way to left or right on pavement, then I hear a quiet little ratcheting sound from the rear as the diff is open. It def gets quieter as you drive it. On dirt it's still quiet as can be and you would only know it was their when your driving through stuff that should have you stuck!

Shortbus

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes and how much was the price, did you install yourself or have a shop do it. If a shop installed how much was total price. I know just enough about turning a wrench I can definitely screw things up.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes and how much was the price, did you install yourself or have a shop do it. If a shop installed how much was total price. I know just enough about turning a wrench I can definitely screw things up.
it's a Dana 44 19 spline Spartan Locker, On the Rox fabrication can help get you fitted up with the exact one. I didn't find any price Advantage by trying to shop for it myself, as a matter of fact it was more expensive. I did the install myself which took me a total of 5 hours give or take. if you're not mechanically inclined I would definitely recommend bringing it to a shop as there are several tools that you will need for the job that you probably don't have in your garage right now, like a hydraulic wheel puller to get the hubs off which really helped, or a slide hammer to pull the axles, and a torque wrench. I actually ended up having to do the job twice, because there is a proprietary spacer that is needed in the Rox or rear end that was not mentioned in the Spartan Locker instructions. this is yet another good reason to go with on the rocks because they have installed several of them and have written directions with pictures for putting them in. I'm a total amateur, so don't let a professional mechanic charge you more than 5 hours labor to do the job. you should be looking in the neighborhood of 350 for the locker, another 30 or so for fluids and RTV sealant and Loctite, and somewhere in the neighborhood of four or five hours of Labor.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Experence with lockers I mus admit are limited , however a few years ago I had air lockers on my Samauri ( came that way ). I really liked having control myself , seems the right way to do it.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nice. Digging the Chrome wagon wheels and white letters on the BFG's.
Chrome wheels seem wrong, not only are they only good for one season due to rust , but they also can be unstable due to the plating process. I had one a few years ago split down the middle........fortunately they were Super Swamper 31s and I was using about 10 lbs of psi..........air or no air made little difference.

Doshounds

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Chrome wheels seem wrong, not only are they only good for one season due to rust , but they also can be unstable due to the plating process. I had one a few years ago split down the middle........fortunately they were Super Swamper 31s and I was using about 10 lbs of psi..........air or no air made little difference.

I can understand in Michigan but in Texas we can use chrome wheels for years unless we drive into the water at the beach. Lol. If I was in Michigan I wouldn't use chrome wheels either. I have seen trucks one year old at Auctions with so much rust your head would spin. The road salt is brutal.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I can understand in Michigan but in Texas we can use chrome wheels for years unless we drive into the water at the beach. Lol. If I was in Michigan I wouldn't use chrome wheels either. I have seen trucks one year old at Auctions with so much rust your head would spin. The road salt is brutal.
It IS amazing up here ( we are snow Capital of the US 300+ inches ) .....the car washes work overtime. Washing the salt of under the vehicle is high piority, and yes they rust out bottom up. The first thing to go are rocker panels and around headlights. Aluminum wheels go too if you do not clean them daily.

Jefdry79

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
it's a Dana 44 19 spline Spartan Locker, On the Rox fabrication can help get you fitted up with the exact one. I didn't find any price Advantage by trying to shop for it myself, as a matter of fact it was more expensive. I did the install myself which took me a total of 5 hours give or take. if you're not mechanically inclined I would definitely recommend bringing it to a shop as there are several tools that you will need for the job that you probably don't have in your garage right now, like a hydraulic wheel puller to get the hubs off which really helped, or a slide hammer to pull the axles, and a torque wrench. I actually ended up having to do the job twice, because there is a proprietary spacer that is needed in the Rox or rear end that was not mentioned in the Spartan Locker instructions. this is yet another good reason to go with on the rocks because they have installed several of them and have written directions with pictures for putting them in. I'm a total amateur, so don't let a professional mechanic charge you more than 5 hours labor to do the job. you should be looking in the neighborhood of 350 for the locker, another 30 or so for fluids and RTV sealant and Loctite, and somewhere in the neighborhood of four or five hours of Labor.
Hey there, I’m in the process of installing my spartan lockers. Wondering where you got your hub puller from? Also wondering about that spacer you mentioned. Is that something I need to order separate?

44Bogger

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey there, I’m in the process of installing my spartan lockers. Wondering where you got your hub puller from? Also wondering about that spacer you mentioned. Is that something I need to order separate?

The spacer is in your differential already. Just make sure it gets put back in. It might need some grinding/milling around it to go back in. Just don't change the length of it.

B

Bister

Thanks, if it’s there I’ll get it figured out.
Very detailed installation instructions are on Roxor's page. I printed them off and gave them to the guy that did my front locker for me. He said they covered things pretty good.

B

Bister

It seems strange Roxor does not include lockers as standard equipment. .......
The way I see it is they didn't put anything in cause they could never please everyone, not everyone needs lockers and if they put in Spartan locker, the next guy will want OX. And no matter what they add at the factory, they would just add it to the price. I put Spartans front and rear, I can see not everyone wanting Spartans, especially in the front if you don't need them. I think leaving it more as a blank canvas for folks to do what works for them is a good approach.