ooooooooooo

New Roxor Owner on the West (wet) Coast (Canada)

BillB

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hello, a couple of weeks ago we purchased a new 2018 Classic II (s/n 2149, white, winch, BFG tires on AL wheels). We live on an island that does not have ferry service so we can put a restricted license plate on side-by-sides, UTVs and golf carts, and hopefully the Roxor. The Roxor will be backup to our 2000 TJ which has only 80,000 original kilometers on the odometer and body is in excellent shape but it needs to be up on stands for some work (brakes, steering box, front universals, sway bar extensions). All work we can do, but all work that will require multiple trips for parts.

Our roads are fairly well maintained gravel with steep hills. The Roxor will be our second vehicle, plus transportation while the TJ is being repaired, plus some fun, plus towing stuff around here (logs, boat trailer, utillity trailer etc.). I looked for a CJ2A project for a couple of years, preferring that over a golf cart, or Polaris Ranger, or similar. Gave up on a do-able CJ2A project and started looking at the Roxor. I like the heritage, the diesel, proven mechanical drive train and the fact that it is new. I have a small boat and a JD tractor, both with small Yanmar diesels and they have provided excellent serviceability and reliability.

Initial impressions of the Roxor:
- Body paint is better than I was hoping.
- Ride on our roads is firm - all good.
- I feel like I am sitting higher than in the TJ or the YJ we had prior.
- don't like the gearing. It is lugging on our hills in high range. We only slip onto 4Wd on the very steep parts and use 2Wd as much as possible to reduce wear and tear on the front end. Also cannot use 4Wd on the wooden government dock. (I see that the diff ratio is different in the 2020 models; maybe a kit will become available). Driving around in 4W Low Range is not a full time option.
- we cannot drive fast here. No intention to go four wheeling in the mud but as it is currently geared we rarely get out of 1st gear. Typical max speed on our roads is about 20 mph.
- disappointed with the turning radius but can live with it.
- our unit must have been sitting for a year at the dealer and there is rust on some of the machinery (hubs, engine block). Body is good. Will clean, prime and paint the rusty areas when the weather improves.

Plans:
- Install the Pintel hitch which came with the deal.
- Add Bikini top - short term I hope. Planning a military style canvas top with M38A1 style bows. Still researching this.
- Have Rock Road Co. windshield frame coming. Will paint white and have glass locally installed.
- Will work on wipers using eBay and Amazon parts.
- considering door options. Want door color to match the body color, so OTR may be the best option.

Overall impression - we are pretty happy with our new ride! Our dog likes it too.
Looking forward to comparing notes and experiences on this forum.

IMG_20191228_1112488.jpg

us17094

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I like the contrast of the black and white. I think you could get away with black doors if you wanted to spare the expense of getting them to match the body.

BillB

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I like the contrast of the black and white. I think you could get away with black doors if you wanted to spare the expense of getting them to match the body.
Thanks, Good point, and I am considering that. There are some off the shelf choices in black. Right now we are in our heavy rainy season so the Roxor is under a tarp so no panic for a few weeks.