ooooooooooo

New Roxor Automatic

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So, Roxor recently announced availability of a 6 spd A/T. I Just took delivery of a Classic with 5 spd manual and have driven it quite a bit and love the 5 spd. With Warn hubs it can be flat towed, bump started with a low battery and just all around fun to drive. A/T will drain some HP and torque, ad weight, require a trans cooler and overall run hotter (not to mention several $$$ more) Also I doubt it can be flat towed without disconnecting both drive lines. Those that choose not to drive a stick don't know what they are missing. Any way.... I've lusted over a military Jeep since I was a kid and couldn't be more pleased with the modern Roxor version. Been over it with a fine tooth comb - so simple and basic - a true DIY dream!!
Any thoughts on the A/T?

B

Bister

They had to do it to compete with the side by sides since younger generation can't drive a stick. I'm with you, the 5 spd is a home run!
Some people just like automatics, I do. I drove truck for 35 years and the last truck I drove was an auto-shift, I loved it. Some folks can't drive stick due to health issues; stroke, bad knees, etc. Sometimes an automatic is more practical, like catching calfs on a ranch where you need one hand free, or maybe in a rental situation, like a park.

They each have there place and use and following.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So, Roxor recently announced availability of a 6 spd A/T. I Just took delivery of a Classic with 5 spd manual and have driven it quite a bit and love the 5 spd. With Warn hubs it can be flat towed, bump started with a low battery and just all around fun to drive. A/T will drain some HP and torque, ad weight, require a trans cooler and overall run hotter (not to mention several $$$ more) Also I doubt it can be flat towed without disconnecting both drive lines. Those that choose not to drive a stick don't know what they are missing. Any way.... I've lusted over a military Jeep since I was a kid and couldn't be more pleased with the modern Roxor version. Been over it with a fine tooth comb - so simple and basic - a true DIY dream!!
Any thoughts on the A/T?
In farm applications, especially when repeatedly having to stop or park on sloped ground, or frequent travel over improved roads between farm properties, the automatic will have advantages over the 5-speed manual in the eyes of some land owners. To them, part of the utility in a UTV is in the ease and mindlessness of an automatic. For others more traditional, an A/T Roxor may be akin to a 4-door Jeep among purists -- any comforts and conveniences are offset by considerations as noted above. That said, I've heard welcome enthusiasm for the new A/T, though it's not for me.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, I would have liked an automatic for use on the farm here- but the price difference is a killer - anyways, I already own a manual. . When catching a calf, you have to be very very fast and shifting to neutral takes a tiny bit longer than just jumping off and letting it roll to a stop. And the gates everywhere- are a real pain. I just have to get used to it now .

RCF

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I got to drive a new Roxor automatic yesterday local dealer just got in ,it was great ,good shift points and very smooth and the new console between seats is big improvement too.It is a expensive option but I can see why a lot of buyers would go that way .

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I wonder how this AT will hold up to the various tunes that people are applying to their Roxor's. As we all are aware, a clutch replacement was required (suggested) for some tunes. Will the AT take the heat?

musclecar mike

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Do not own
The pro automatic guys saved me a lot of typing. Automatics are superior in all situations, the even flow of power reigns supreme. That would be our primary use here around here in Washington County Texas. The lack of flat towing, ya'll are spot on. As for the farm situations, my problem will be getting my feet out. Old guys know how to drive manuals, old guys who feel 20 can drive them. Heck, I am wishing my chevelle had a automatic now. As for the bad knees, I want to ad backs and shoulders to the list. mike out

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Automatics are simpler to operate, but will always be a longevity concern. They simply don’t age as well as manuals. I also dislike driving them on slick surfaces as you lose fine grain control.

They have their place, just not on my rig lol

Driver8

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
My concerns are not which, AT or manual, is better or out performs the other. Right now we have several popular shops doing ECU tunes that can double the HP output of the Roxor motor. On the manual, this would require ( if you want longevity ) an upgraded clutch plate. Not having any data on the AT, I wonder if it was designed for the stock Roxor HP and if it will be able to handle the double in HP that most tunes are gunning for. Especially for those that are running the Roxor on street at highway speeds.

For me, I would take the AT but...... If it means that my engine mods bumping up to 120hp output will blow my $3000 AT sooner than later, I'd rather do the manual and swapp a clutch plate every now and then. Am I being over dramatic?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Am I being over dramatic?

No. Just ask the Cummins guys how much they have to spend when sniffing mods on their auto equipped trucks. It's generally several thousand to get a auto with the ability to handle a tuned Cummins. We don't know what auto is in the Roxor, so we don't know what its prolonged torque handling capacity is. It could be good news. It could be a beefcake auto that is snoozing at 250 ft-lbs of diesel torque. It could not. As you say, the manual is a known formula.

Last edited:
B

Bister

I believe it is a GM transmission, the one used in the Canyon. I think I have that right.

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I read that Mahindra was using a GM AT. Given the history of some GM Transmissions I would seriously question the reliability, especially behind an engine with increased HP and Torque. (Torque effects transmission life more so than HP) With few exceptions the auto industry does not "overbuild" automatic transmissions. They employ just enough structural integrity to get the job done. This saves cost as well as weight and helps to increase their CAFE numbers. Unfortunately the general public ends up being the "proving ground" and thus the aftermarket has thrived by developing improvements for all kinds of situations. When outsourcing things like transmission assemblies the factory HP & Torque specs are provided to the suppliers engineers to aid in designing the product for the specific application. Tuned GM, FORD and DODGE trucks puke their stock transmissions every day. If in fact the trans is a GM 6L50 as stated in another post it should be able to handle quite a bit of HP and TORQUE increase over stock specs. :cool:

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I read that Mahindra was using a GM AT. Given the history of some GM Transmissions I would seriously question the reliability, especially behind an engine with increased HP and Torque. (Torque effects transmission life more so than HP) With few exceptions the auto industry does not "overbuild" automatic transmissions. They employ just enough structural integrity to get the job done. This saves cost as well as weight and helps to increase their CAFE numbers. Unfortunately the general public ends up being the "proving ground" and thus the aftermarket has thrived by developing improvements for all kinds of situations. When outsourcing things like transmission assemblies the factory HP & Torque specs are provided to the suppliers engineers to aid in designing the product for the specific application. Tuned GM, FORD and DODGE trucks puke their stock transmissions every day. If in fact the trans is a GM 6L50 as stated in another post it should be able to handle quite a bit of HP and TORQUE increase over stock specs. :cool:

Sadly, this is very very true.

tben87

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Question the reliability of a GM trans? That's a first for me. Never been let down as long I've never run it up to 250 deg and changed the fluid and filter. Heck even the TH400 in our plow truck survived for 2 months with it being overfilled by a gallon of water, and its still going strong after we drained it. Meanwhile my 93 dodge with a totally stock cummins is on its 3rd trans and it gets fluid and filter changes every 2 years as well. I guess everyone has different experiences. Oddly most people I know personally who complain about having a bad GM trans "usually" don't take care of them. I'm also a bit biased as I have lots of family working for GM's Powertrain Division and I actually own a ZR2 Duramax Colorado with the aforementioned 6L50. Yes, the GM 6L50 is based on the Roxor 6L50. It is not, however, the same trans on the inside. The GM trans has heavier parts inside spec'd from the 6L90 that is behind the 6.0L in the 2500/3500 trucks among a few other modifications. Hence why the GM trans has much higher power thresholds then the 6L50 that's made in Strasbourg, France for the Roxor. With this being said, the trans in the Roxor will last a long time as the power input thresholds are much higher then most people will put into it. Roxor 6L50= 250hp/405ft lbs. GM 6L50= 480ft lbs (Duramax Colorado). Unless Roxor has spec'd the trans differently those are the numbers Punch Powerglide advertises for a 6L50 behind a light duty diesel application. GM has many different dresses of the 6l50 depending on the platform. A lot of it comes down to cooling capacity as well. For the Roxor, I believe heat will be the biggest killer especially if tuned, that's why I believe the manual is a better decision. But the price is atrocious.

Reactions: SMF

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
They had to do it to compete with the side by sides since younger generation can't drive a stick. I'm with you, the 5 spd is a home run!
The automatic is a test bed for the new postal contract they will bid on. ? How can they use the same chassis, engine etc and magically be road legal? Maine told me I cannot use Mahindra parts on the highway! Idiots.

My exide battery is in shock! Lol