ooooooooooo

New member of Team Roxor from Texas

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Good morning! I just bought a 2020 during the inventory flush at the beginning of August. I really love driving this so far.

Immediate goals are to get some full-size plates for it and then set it up for roadtripping and off road driving.

I have really enjoyed going through the old posts here--thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

Best regards,
Josh

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Welcome glad you grab a roxor while you still could. What color is yours? Pics?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Good morning! I just bought a 2020 during the inventory flush at the beginning of August. I really love driving this so far.

Immediate goals are to get some full-size plates for it and then set it up for roadtripping and off road driving.

I have really enjoyed going through the old posts here--thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

Best regards,
Josh

Welcome from Texas. Don't get your hopes up on full size tag. Many here have tried. Flat tow it to where you want to go. Get the OFF HIGHWAY TAG and you can scoot around town, Just camo yourself as a jeep. LOL.

BDRAG

IMG_20200819_182313.jpg

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Thanks! Yes, I have been following these for awhile, and the closeout was really the thing that got me off high center.

Color is the OD green. This is my daughter and her friend out on Saturday morning.

So far, I have added the Fortress top and tip-out windshield. Rear seat and turn signal kit should arrive today, so that will keep me busy for a few evenings!
Roxor.jpg

Roxor.jpg

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BDRAG,

Thanks for the advice! I live in FW and work in Dallas.

When I called the tax office, they told me no problem-just get a safety inspection done, bring in the certificate, and they will give me full-size plates. It didn't sound like a big problem as long as I added a bunch of stuff (windshield, turn signals, etc.). I am planning to get the turn signals installed ASAP and try to get the inspection and plates on Friday, so I can update you then.

So far, I have driven it about 200 miles on the streets (had to get it from a dealership 90 miles away because all the local ones were sold out!), and I haven't been stopped. However, it makes me nervous that a cop will pull up behind me at a light and notice the tiny yellow "off road only" plate. Most people just think its a jeep, but I imagine it would be hard for john law to ignore that right in front of him...

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I know a couple
BDRAG,

When I called the tax office, they told me no problem-just get a safety inspection done, bring in the certificate, and they will give me full-size plates. It didn't sound like a big problem as long as I added a bunch of stuff (windshield, turn signals, etc.). I am planning to get the turn signals installed ASAP and try to get the inspection and plates on Friday, so I can update you then.

So far, I have driven it about 200 miles on the streets (had to get it from a dealership 90 miles away because all the local ones were sold out!), and I haven't been stopped. However, it makes me nervous that a cop will pull up behind me at a light and notice the tiny yellow "off road only" plate. Most people just think its a jeep, but I imagine it would be hard for john law to ignore that right in front of him...

Other cops have harassed Roxor owners, even one's who got a street legal plates. If you want to decorate your Roxor like a Jeep, that's what I did, but it's a risk....... If you get a cop who needs to complete his daily quota you'll be a perfect target.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks! Yes, I have been following these for awhile, and the closeout was really the thing that got me off high center.

Color is the OD green. This is my daughter and her friend out on Saturday morning.

So far, I have added the Fortress top and tip-out windshield. Rear seat and turn signal kit should arrive today, so that will keep me busy for a few evenings!View attachment 7395

View attachment 7395
Nice, I like the windshield and the top. Not to mention you cant go wrong with OD Green!

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
BDRAG,

I took every off-road only / Roxor sticker and decal off mine I could find. Just my take on it. Welcome to the club!

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yea, I was really torn between the OD green and some of the other colors! And then...this was the only one left! Made it pretty easy, lol.

The windshield works well, although the stock shocks only hold it open up to about 35 mph. I plan to order the replacements from Diesel Freak so it will stay open at full speed. The top is REALLY nice. Also, it is two pieces that join securely just beyond the B pillar of the ROPS. It would be super simple to remove the back portion to leave the rear seat open for hunting or even replace the joining piece with a hinged version that could be folded back over the front. Lots of options, and it is VERY solid.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
BDRAG,

Look at your title. In the top right corner it will say in the remarks, FOR OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY. If it says that, there is no chance in hell. DEEP DEEP DEEP in the DMV crap it states if the vehicle is titled for OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY, it may not be registered REGARDLESS OF MODIFICATIONS. Unless your a municipality or road crew for state.

I have been down this road for 2 years. I even paid a company to get me a new vin number and do it as a kit. Buzzzer sounds. It aint happening. Give it up. Lol.

On another note, I love my Fortress top with that 1/2 wool insulation on hot days.

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
BDRAG,

Tax office said, safety inspection. That don't matter either. I did the ASE $250 road worth inspection and got a state inspection. BUZZER SOUNDS AGAIN. Lol.

BDRAG

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BDRAG,

Ugh, thanks for your input. Looks like this will be an uphill battle. Getting it registered as a kit car was my second plan, but it sounds like you have been down that road, too...

Yes, the Fortress top is great!

Josh

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
BDRAG,

Ugh, thanks for your input. Looks like this will be an uphill battle. Getting it registered as a kit car was my second plan, but it sounds like you have been down that road, too...

Yes, the Fortress top is great!

Josh
I even went down to protest with the save the Texas dune buggy guys in Austin back in 2019. . They won their battle but it was a 3 plus year battle and expensive. They regs left out the sand rail guys. So some time after the first of the year the state came out with the OFF HIGHWAY TAG so the sand rail guy's had a small out.

It sucks that a golf cart can drive on the street. LOl. If we were able to get a bunch of us in a meeting with the local DMV head and get them convinced its a safe vehicle and meets all the criteria that the dune buggies do, I think we would have a chance to get a clause in there. I had planned on a meet with the local head till the damn virus crap shut them all down. Then this little bs tag came along. So far I have driven it the 15 miles to work many times now. No mahindra visible, jeep stick on emblems for $20. Lol.

I tell anyone who asks that its a 1981 design, a diesel that was built for export only for 2 years.. This one was imported to the U.S.A from India in 2018 to a place in Detroit where it was painted and assembled. Lol. Many just nod and say COOL! LOL.

BDRAG

Last edited:

Perunapete

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
BDRAG,
I like that explanation. I'll have to use that!
Let me know if you want company on your trip to see the local DMV head honcho.
Josh

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I must admit I admire the camaraderie you Texans have. Even when I was in the Marines it stood out. That fellas is awesome! Gotta love that Lone Star State.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hahaha, very nice. I Love it.

As a Greek American org. from New York, (we are not the quietest either) I hear that a lot living in Utah.

oldgreybull

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

Best regards,
Josh
Welcome - you've got a great product and you've found a great group to share experiences.
Regarding the full-size plate thing; I hope don't get too hung up on that. Instead enjoy your ride, have fun tweaking and customizing to suit your preferences - there are a ton of possibilities to explore.
We're early in the track record of this vehicle; the real test of street legal legality will come when the inevitable accidents happen and insurance companies start defending lawsuits - criminal and civil.
What makes the Roxor appealing in my opinion is that it is a clone of the real deal - a bullet proof early era jeep - like my old '46 CJ2A, only better! But - it's new, so it can't be "grandfathered", and it is heavy and can be made to operate at highway speeds, and no attempt has been made by the manufacturer to pass highway safety standards. In fact, quite the opposite, the manufacturer, who should know their product best, says it should ONLY be operated off highway - kiss of death. Sure, some local DMV agents may sign off, but I've not heard of any DMV at the state level which lists it as anything but an off road UTV - FCA has seen to that and is eager to remind them.
And then there's the reciprocity thing - getting other states to sign off on a classification they themselves don't recognize - it gets really sticky fast when you try to transfer a registration to another state. Plus we also expect reciprocity with insurance coverage; how does that work if you drive in a state that says the Roxor is only off road? Will the insurance company hang in there with you or bolt when they realize the registration in "unusual".
Don't attack the messenger here; I am confounded, baffled, annoyed, yep - pissed off, by seeing golf carts in my neighborhood operating with impunity and LEO turns a blind eye. "It ain't right, it's unfair, silly, ridiculous" - but, the fact is the Roxor hasn't passed highway safety standards and it classified by the manufacturer as an off road vehicle - can't get around that.
I bet there's no way that a brand new, straight off the line, CJ2A, 3B or even early CJ5 could be registered today as street legal either. There's this little thing called the NHTSA and their rules and regulations which came into being in 1966. New vehicles must meet their standards to be highway worthy.
So, I for one have accepted that I have a really great off road utility vehicle which I've modified to meet basic street legal requirements - can't do much about the formal highway testing though. The day I bought it home I started looking into making it "street legal". Now I'm considering getting a SD registration and MC tag which can add some semblance of legality to operate on local roads, but it also opens up another can of worms (besides the odd fact of a MC tag on "jeep") because is that in my state, FL, residents are required by law to transfer registration within 30 days. I'm sure I can "skate" by for a few months or more, but once I have to renew the out of state SD registration it will be very hard to explain why I did that again since I'm a FL resident.
Those of you who live in western states, or in very rural areas with a more open minded approach to these things, are probably fine. I"m in a semi-rural area within 10 miles of two US highways, a major interstate, and toll road and I'm 1,200 miles from SD where I have no roots or contacts. A SD MC tag on my "Jeep" becomes a rather flimsy proposition... still, better than nothing? or maybe not?
I'm not going to get my knickers in a wad over it - don't want to spoil my fun :)