ooooooooooo

New guy looking for advice...

drh1965

Hi gang. I was very excited to see that the Roxor existed when I was looking for a side by side for our hobby farm. But then, I saw all of the lawsuit rigamorole. I have experience with old YJs but I wouldn't call myself even a hobby mechanic. It seems to me the largest risk to ownership is fixing these things with zero dealer support and almost nonexistent parts access. Did I sum that up about right?

My question for this group is: do you pretty much have to be prepared to DIY everything?

Thanks in advance for any mind dumps in this thread!

Darrell

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Starter and extra filters are really all that you need to keep on hand. If your buying new check all fluids for proper level as they have been coming low on fluids from the factory. Not sure if they are filled with the stated capacity amount or not just know that they are not to the top of the fill plug when checking. Grease everything also as they could most likely use more than the factory put in them. It’s also a good idea to remove the front wheel bearings and repack them as that is another known “dry” spot from the factory that will lead to failure in time. For parts, if you can’t cross things like belts and bearings and seals there are dealers and other businesses such as diesel freak, torque king and on the Rox that can help you by shipping the needed parts to you. There’s also friends in India that have been known to get us parts as well. So parts is really not a problem other than you might not get them the same day from a parts store or dealer. For diagnostics and repairs the manuals have been posted here so yourself or your mechanic has a starting point. Don’t worry as others will help you out when you have problems. Till then just enjoy your machine

drh1965

Thanks AZROX and txroadkill for those thoughtfull replies. I can handle most of anything common/simple. My Jeep Club back in the 90s used to abuse our rides. Every run ended up with new fluids in the axles and TCASE. But the mechanicals were bullproof and my YJ had zero electronics to break. I also had access to a repair shop/lift which made things easier!

I already dug into the repair manual and these Roxors seem similar. The diesel has been reliable?

I noticed a Cat in the exhaust which seemed baffling for a side by side. It probably is just a shared component with the Thar.

I mean, 538s with a plow and I'm in business. Add a utility trailer and what can't it do? Too bad it doesn't have a PTO. That would rox.

Again, appreciate the feedback!

Dan H.

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
There are cat and egr deletes are available. A stage one tune is almost a given to boost performance. Definatley double check all the above listed items. I had low fluids and poor wheel bearing grease on mine. But no issues with the engine. It has been solid for me.

Last edited:

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@drh1965: I second what Dan H said. Engine is solid, but needs the tune. Any company selling tunes these days offers a great product. Go with the higher performance (some call that a stage 1, others a stage 2). Whatever is higher power, get it.

The CAT is either a left over of the Thar or was part of Mahindra trying to step closer to an actual commercial vehicle sale in the US. There were rumors at the time the Roxor was introduced that Mahindra was bidding on a vehicle for the US Postal Service. That obviously didn't go anywhere. So, I think it is a left over from the Thar. It was easier for Mahindra to just reuse the drive train.

As for the CAT and performance, save your time. Vivid Racing did a series of dyno tests early 2020 (with YouTube videos): With stock exhaust and CAT, bigger exhaust with high-flow muffler and without CAT, stratight dump pipe after the turbo. There were pretty much only single digit HP and torque differences. I thought that was a pretty honest thing to even post the video series in the first place.
The videos are long gone. Vivid is still selling the bigger diameter exhaust with high-flow muffler (I think).

drh1965

Thanks AZROX and txroadkill for those thoughtfull replies. I can handle most of anything common/simple. My Jeep Club back in the 90s used to abuse our rides. Every run ended up with new fluids in the axles and TCASE. But the mechanicals were bullproof and my YJ had zero electronics to break. I also had access to a repair shop/lift which made things easier!

I already dug into the repair manual and these Roxors seem similar. The diesel has been reliable?

I noticed a Cat in the exhaust which seemed baffling for a side by side. It probably is just a shared component with the Thar.

I mean, 538s with a plow and I'm in business. Add a utility trailer and what can't it do? Too bad it doesn't have a PTO.That would rox.

drh1965

You guys are making this an easy decision. Mahindra should be paying you!

I plan to hit a power sports place in Amarillo on our way through to Houston over Christmas. They have something like 20 in stock. I kind of like the new squirrelly sheet metal. It leaves tons of room for imagination. That and I've got 450' of gravel road to plow up here in Colorado ?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If your gonna pull a trailer I suggest getting a stout bumper receiver hitch. Be careful what’s out there as some hitches only bolt to the crossmember and that’s not strong enough and you’ll eventually crack the crossmember where the hitch bolts to. I would suggest getting a Cecco bumper as it mounts very solidly and also ties into the frame.

ramrod

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
and in nc and around this side of US, it seems like its a cheeper buying from tractor place then a powersport place,powersport stores seems to have more and higher fees

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
But it does have a PTO

I mean, 538s with a plow and I'm in business. Add a utility trailer and what can't it do? Too bad it doesn't have a PTO. That would rox.

drh1965

It does? That would be fabulous. Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Power Take-Off for implements?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Roxors do not have a pto or a way to add one. Unfortunately for those who wish to have one the cases are different in the way a bearing is retained thus making it impossible to modify with existing parts to add it.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The Transfer case has the same setup as my old Willys. I haven't had a need to tinker with it, and Roxor hasn't made any parts to add to it. It would have to be a custom job to make work. The older Willys you can do many things with that old thing that wasn't in the plans

Last edited:

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
This video talks about it after he does is cupholder fix. Ig i had the need for one I would tear into it and build one but again it would all be fab work

drh1965

Mahindra must not be proud of it because it is not in the Operator's or Repair manuals. I would love to be able to use an auger and a tiller off of a pto.

drh1965

That sure looks like a PTO. I wonder if it is just spinning whenever the TCase is engaged? If so, maybe Mahindra has some plans for that if Stellantis gets off their backs???

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
When I first got this my Dad is one who fabs things and he went crazy when he saw the transfer case. He listed off all the things he could make for it

Last edited:

drh1965

It really seems like a great opportunity. It is not a heavy vehicle for most ground engagement stuff but man, my wheels are spinning right now...

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Should put you in contact with my father who like me his brain gears are always spinning when he sees options that many don't know are there