ooooooooooo

Need help! Turbo diverter valve snapped

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Was attempting to install the agency power boost valve necessary to accomodate the Vivid Racing Stage 2 tune, and the plastic nozzle coming off the diverter that's connected to the turbo housing snapped off. Was told this was a two minute install and now I feel like I made a huge expensive mistake because I can't seem to find a part number for the valve and really hoping i don't have to purchase the whole turbo. Anyone have any experience here?

Check picture, it's the black plastic piece right in the center of the pic that the hose was previously connected to. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
20190223_181855.jpg

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It happened to me as well on one of mine when I was experimenting with blocking off of the line. It’s a boost reference line that allows the wastegate to open when boost pressure reaches a predetermined psi. In the roxors case, the spring is set to open at 7 psi. The piece you were installing restricts air flow to the wastegate to allow it to make more boost before opening. I know with a stage 1 tune, it was completely safe being capped off and not regulating it at all. I’m not sure if a stage 2 tune will push the turbo out of its limits but I wouldn’t think so. You can make something to keep it in a fixed closed position but I would recommend an egt and boost gauge to keep an eye on it.

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yeah that's what I was trying to install, a new line with a boost valve and diaphragm that opens around 16psi. My question would be, how do i repair that part so i can install the new line and valve. Im hoping i can remove the valve but it looks like it's permanently fixed to the turbo housing, that seems to be confirmed as i can't find a part number on mahindra site other than the entire turbo assembly.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yeah that's what I was trying to install, a new line with a boost valve and diaphragm that opens around 16psi. My question would be, how do i repair that part so i can install the new line and valve. Im hoping i can remove the valve but it looks like it's permanently fixed to the turbo housing, that seems to be confirmed as i can't find a part number on mahindra site other than the entire turbo assembly.

Those small plastic WG fittings are really easy to break so it happens. The WG may be available as a sub-assembly part through Mahindra’s turbo oem. There are also companies that make replaceable universal WG’s, Turbosmart is one such company, check Summit Racing and Amazon. If you can get a replacement it might be an option, but expect some fitting mods.

If I was facing this issue, I would first try to pull the WG and then determine if it could be repaired. I’m thinking JB weld either the broken piece back on or a 3/16 hose male barb or a threaded nipple with 3/16 hose male barb, just thinking out loud.

Or do like Jimmy B said, lock it out and plug the line but test run with EGT and boost gauges to be sure your ok. I run EGT and boost gauges, if you have one of Jimmy B’s super EGR delete kits then you can just drill/thread the plates and plug in the gauges.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Jimmyb

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Those small plastic WG fittings are really easy to break so it happens. The WG may be available as a sub-assembly part through Mahindra’s turbo oem. There are also companies that make replaceable universal WG’s, Turbosmart is one such company, check Summit Racing and Amazon. If you can get a replacement it might be an option, but expect some fitting mods.

If I was facing this issue, I would first try to pull the WG and then determine if it could be repaired. I’m thinking JB weld either the broken piece back on or a 3/16 hose male barb or a threaded nipple with 3/16 hose male barb, just thinking out loud.

Or do like Jimmy B said, lock it out and plug the line but test run with EGT and boost gauges to be sure your ok. I run EGT and boost gauges, if you have one of Jimmy B’s super EGR delete kits then you can just drill/thread the plates and plug in the gauges.

Thanks wood lot! That’s exactly what I was trying to say. If you make something to hold the wastegate in the closed position and use a boost gauge to make sure things don’t get out of hand, you should be good to go.

Bhayarock

I beleive my mahindra bolero back in India uses a TEL (Turbo energy ltd) (kkk-Borg Warner K04) based turbo and similar waste gate assembly. If you are hesitant to ask the dealer about it, I think the K04 assemblies should not be hard to find on local parts stores or ebay.
I hope roxor got a similar one.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-turbocharger_kkk_k04_5_88_gcaad-6631977/

Last edited:

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks guys, exactly what i was looking for, think I'll try to stick a brass barb in there and see if that sticks, if not maybe the aftermarket wastegate route is the way to go.

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Brass fitting did not work unfortunately, there must isn't enough of the plastic nozzle left to bond too, and 3/16th was close but still too large to fit the existing line.

Thanks all for the suggestions, any idea if an aftermarket wastegate would work or I'm better off sticking with the OEM replacement?

Bhayarock

As I mentioned before check with your dealer on the price for OEM, if its around the same price as the aftermarkets (30-70bucks) a go for OEM. However if they are quoting more than 70 bucks probably try out after market one. I dont have any experience in setting up the wastegate valves but jimmy b said it's about 7 psi. So hopefully if the aftermarket ones fit make sure its set at the right pressure.
Turbocharger Turbo KKK wastegate Actuator for K03 KO3 K04 K04 | eBay

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yeah 7psi sounds right, it'll have to wait until Tuesday when the dealer opens. Thanks for the help!

Calebp

It happened to me and for now I did the jb weld with a hose barb fitting and it has been fine for me.

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Done and done, used a 5/16th's brass barbed fitting with a 90 degree elbow in it, used the dremel to shape both the wastegate input and the fitting so they fit nicely, then used the original formula JB weld as it does better with heat, up to 550, then i slapped them together for 24 hours and looks like it is holding.

Sidenote, now that Ive been able to actually street test the stage 2 tune from Vivid racing I can conclude that it provides just the right amount of top end HP that was not there before, I highly recommend it if you want just a touch more grunt.

scottjudkins7878

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
As I mentioned before check with your dealer on the price for OEM, if its around the same price as the aftermarkets (30-70bucks) a go for OEM. However if they are quoting more than 70 bucks probably try out after market one. I dont have any experience in setting up the wastegate valves but jimmy b said it's about 7 psi. So hopefully if the aftermarket ones fit make sure its set at the right pressure.
Turbocharger Turbo KKK wastegate Actuator for K03 KO3 K04 K04 | eBay
There is no dealer replacement, because it is sold as part of the turbo unfortunately. I called Mahindra North America in Detroit and they said they are working on a replacement as we speak

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice to know I'm not only one with this problem. ? I took mine to the dealer and they are working on it as we speak. I know there are some aftermarket ones with metal fittings. We shall see. Good post.

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I just had the same problem. Good post. Thanks for all the info

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Done and done, used a 5/16th's brass barbed fitting with a 90 degree elbow in it, used the dremel to shape both the wastegate input and the fitting so they fit nicely, then used the original formula JB weld as it does better with heat, up to 550, then i slapped them together for 24 hours and looks like it is holding.

Sidenote, now that Ive been able to actually street test the stage 2 tune from Vivid racing I can conclude that it provides just the right amount of top end HP that was not there before, I highly recommend it if you want just a touch more grunt.
Can you post a picture of the 5/16 brass barbed fitting with the 90 degree elbow. I going to do mine; I would like to see the picture of yours Rolandwanders. Thank you

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Then I used the dremmel to cut off and shape one end, took off about 3 of the 4 barbs on one side Ave that's the side I coated with jb weld and attached to the wastegate inlet. I also needed to enlarge the inlet to accept the barb but that only took a quick buzz with a universal cutting bit. Make sense?

reedcharlie75

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Then I used the dremmel to cut off and shape one end, took off about 3 of the 4 barbs on one side Ave that's the side I coated with jb weld and attached to the wastegate inlet. I also needed to enlarge the inlet to accept the barb but that only took a quick buzz with a universal cutting bit. Make sense?
Yes, thank you