ooooooooooo

MINOR upgrades Mahindra SHOULD make-

RidgeRunner

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm NOT referring to front and read PTO's and a belly mower, I mean small, nickel and dime stuff.
Surely they would like some honest feedback.
List your top few MINOR improvements-

Here's mine after 100 miles of ownership-

1-) The key switch has no "indent" between off and acc., Thus, it's too easy to accidently drain the battery

2.) The emergency brake handle, when engaged, and the gear shift lever, almost make contact.

3.) While there is plenty of leg room for the driver, the PEDALS seemed to be a little close together.
When wearing boots, I often find myself on the wrong pedal. Maybe more seat time and I'll adjust.

4.) Tires (they fall under minor because they have to provide some anyway) If this is truly an off road vehicle,
let see some real off road tires. At a minimum, a more aggressive DOT set of tires.

Your turn....

General

Founding Member
I'd be happy if the factory were just more consistent with assembly. Paint is inconsistent, fasteners are loose, alignment is off, fluids are wrong quantity. Hopefully that changes as their organization matures. Mahindra's leadership says they're making a name here and testing the North American market. Even though I love the design, their build quality will have to improve (including the parts welded in India) if they want to charge a premium for a road-going vehicle.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If Mahindra wants to leap frog the competition, the formula is quite simple: 1) Build one basic vehicle (e.g., Classic) of exceptional high quality, steel/aluminum construction near current price point. That could include a real rear bumper solidly attached to the frame, vice the current cross member wanna-be. Along with better paint, decent undercoating would also be nice. 2) Pay attention to detail and give priority to quality control. Surely, three thousand units in, the factory has figured out how to get employees to tighten fasteners and fill to proper fluid levels. Time for those, "gee, we're new at this," excuses has expired. 3) Don't be too big to listen to the customers. Since virtually all automotive manufacturers don't, Mahindra would have an automatic leg up if it did. It'd be interesting to know if anyone up the Mahindra food chain pays attention to places like this forum. Among this group of early adapters, there's some considerable expertise (not me) and good ideas -- Roxor knowledge often well exceeding what's found in many dealerships -- and we're part of a free testing ground for the product. Some of the suggested ergonomic improvements noted above are minimal cost. Ditto for minor things such as drilling an extra drain hole in the floorboard or cutouts to facilitate heater/defroster add-ons. Seems the off-road market has a bunch of strong minded individuals who know what they want. It's rarely what the factory guesses they want. The SE/LE models may have been okay as product kick-starters, but if one needs a winch, they can buy a winch they prefer, without a sound system and extra lighting thrown in for good measure. The open differential with basic KO2 tires are adequate for most of us putzers and woefully lacking for others. Those who desire swampers with spinners and electronic lockers can buy them after market. It'd be nice if a large, a la carte selection of DIY/dealer installs were offered at competitive prices. Same goes for spare parts, without waiting for the slow boat from India. Every Roxor should enable owners to make it street legal where legal. Put the onus on the owners and dispense with the work-arounds. And while they're at it, make electrical hook-ups easy and simple. Treating factory wiring diagrams like they're nuclear codes is ridiculous. When the kinks are eventually worked out of introductory Roxor, it would be nice to see a Scrambler version with a dump bed and pto for ag use. That might be reason to own two. All in all, seems we're off to a good start.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Overall I'm fine with the quality of what I got. I'm especially impressed with the cast iron diesel engine and iron transmission. I agree the emergency brake needs to be moved. I'm also just fine with the single gauge. It's definitely time to come out with a better cab over kit and doors.

RoxorSE

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE #052
Good ideas. I could use more leg room, a stronger seat that slides farther back. A full cab enclosure, both soft and hard top with doors like a CJ 5. There should be a formal liaison to Mahindra working with the owners. What a wealth of information and experience across the USA that Mahindra could tap into at relatively no cost. A working advisory relationship with Roxor owners would immediately set them apart from all other vehicle manufacturers and build an exceptionally strong brand.

Rhb798

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I
Just my 2 cts....IF they make it street legal, here comes all the air bags and other BS stuff that will add thousands to the price plus weight, plus loss of performance.....plus all the xtra bs for Cali vehicles...
I agree with you Bill, keep it simple let us do our own up grades, different strokes, for different folks.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just my 2 cts....IF they make it street legal, here comes all the air bags and other BS stuff that will add thousands to the price plus weight, plus loss of performance.....plus all the xtra bs for Cali vehicles...

Exactly. I'm happy with the approach Roxor has taken. Right now the vehicle is the perfect combination of reliability and simplicity. Don't get me wrong, I like airbags. They saved my grandfather who was too stubborn to wear a seat belt. But people should get to chose what they want to drive as long as they aren't driving something that could be a safety hazard for everyone else. Right now federal policy requires manufacturers to make cars far too complicated, which in turn makes them a lot less reliable. They also use more fuel which is the most ironic part of the whole story.

Since I'm on my soap box I'll also say I'm not that old, but I remember when keys were only 2 dollars. Now my wife drives a van and the keys cost $300 each. I spoke to the dealer and asked if I could just use a regular key that doesn't have the fancy buttons and he said no. It makes me made because I don't have any choice in the matter. Now with my Roxor I have a choice again and I if I lose a key I won't have to pay the same amount of money that I did for my nice winch.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :)

roxorEDM

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
lockers.....as an off-road target vehicle having open diff's is what is keeping me from pulling the pin on buying one.

Swapping tires, adding gauges, adding lights, etc.... most back yard tinkerers can do.
But adding lockers / ltd slip is outside most peoples ability and pretty much std. on off-road vehicles of all types.

toolsinaction

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm all for better quality. Mine has some issues from the factory and a lot of out of true parts.

RoxorSE

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE #052
Exactly. I'm happy with the approach Roxor has taken. Right now the vehicle is the perfect combination of reliability and simplicity. Don't get me wrong, I like airbags. They saved my grandfather who was too stubborn to wear a seat belt. But people should get to chose what they want to drive as long as they aren't driving something that could be a safety hazard for everyone else. Right now federal policy requires manufacturers to make cars far too complicated, which in turn makes them a lot less reliable. They also use more fuel which is the most ironic part of the whole story.

Since I'm on my soap box I'll also say I'm not that old, but I remember when keys were only 2 dollars. Now my wife drives a van and the keys cost $300 each. I spoke to the dealer and asked if I could just use a regular key that doesn't have the fancy buttons and he said no. It makes me made because I don't have any choice in the matter. Now with my Roxor I have a choice again and I if I lose a key I won't have to pay the same amount of money that I did for my nice winch.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest :)
Well said. I also miss being able to build a vehicle one option or accessory at a time for a custom order from the dealer. Now It's all about expensive packages of bundled items you don't want.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Roxor is on the right track -- a simple, 70 year old, rock solid design with a few fundamental improvements (diesel power), offered at an affordable (15K) price, which can then be used as a basis for modification/customization to the maximum desires of the customer and limits of his/her purse. Unfortunately, most of the nicer add-ons cost money and pretty soon costs get out of control. Beyond the basic platform, it's about customer choice and their own interpretation of perfection. If Roxor came with Spartan lockers, some would want Auburns or Eatons, instead. It already comes with tires. Should those not suit, buy what you like after market. Add a rear seat for the kids or the dog (mine rides up front). If one's up to the challenge of confronting state and federal bureaucracy and has the know how to make a vehicle sold as off-road street legal, that's fine. Just provide a top quality foundation upon which to build, as we want to and can afford to do so. Proven design is there already; now tweak a few relatively minor (low cost/creature comfort) details, pay attention to durability (undercoating, stainless, galvanized, skid plates, eliminating mud pockets, etc.) and improve quality control. Seems Roxor's getting there.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor is on the right track -- a simple, 70 year old, rock solid design with a few fundamental improvements (diesel power), offered at an affordable (15K) price, which can then be used as a basis for modification/customization to the maximum desires of the customer and limits of his/her purse. Unfortunately, most of the nicer add-ons cost money and pretty soon costs get out of control. Beyond the basic platform, it's about customer choice and their own interpretation of perfection. If Roxor came with Spartan lockers, some would want Auburns or Eatons, instead. It already comes with tires. Should those not suit, buy what you like after market. Add a rear seat for the kids or the dog (mine rides up front). If one's up to the challenge of confronting state and federal bureaucracy and has the know how to make a vehicle sold as off-road street legal, that's fine. Just provide a top quality foundation upon which to build, as we want to and can afford to do so. Proven design is there already; now tweak a few relatively minor (low cost/creature comfort) details, pay attention to durability (undercoating, stainless, galvanized, skid plates, eliminating mud pockets, etc.) and improve quality control. Seems Roxor's getting there.

I did notice there are a few bald spots on my undercoating that I had to spray myself.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Here is the only pictures I have of the fortress windshield and manual wiper. Roxor 11.jpgRoxor 13.jpgRoxor 12.jpg

Bdwelder_99

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
That's a very interesting set up. I think they are beauty in simplicity. Your wiper is up and out of the way. I like it.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You can adjust it how you want. I adjusted the spring tension so the wiper presses stoutly against the window. I have not had any problems with it sliding down. I've used it a couple of times. I put 3 coats of Rain X on the inside and outside of the window. Water just sheets off. Don't need the wiper much.