ooooooooooo

Metal roof and flip out windshield

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Had the steel roof and flip out windshield installed by the dealer. The roof and windshield come from "the Perry Company / Fortress LoPro Aftermarket" in Waco, TX. It's about $1000-$1200 for both installed. It appears Perry does not deal to the public so you will likely have to find a dealer that can get it but it's way worth it.

20180907_171103.jpg

Bdwelder_99

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
If you do not mind. After you use the flip out window for a while. Tell us your honest opinion. If its worth having or a gimmick. In thought it seems like a good ideal. But I have no real world experence with one.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
If you do not mind. After you use the flip out window for a while. Tell us your honest opinion. If its worth having or a gimmick. In thought it seems like a good ideal. But I have no real world experience with one.

I also run the Fortress set up. Its a compromise as far as convenient and practicality. I do like driving with the window swung out, well till I hit 40 mph and it slams shut and scares the S H I T right the hell out of ya! WHAM! Then you back off the peddle and it flings back open. HAhaaaaa. DANG!

I think a small stay rod added at the ends and one in the center would solve that WHAM issue. I will also say that now that I have seen it do the WHAM, I look for it and the speed at which it occurs, calculating the head winds and gusty wind. So as it starts its " OH I'M ABOUT TO SLAM SHUT GIGGLE WOBBLE ", I reach up and snag the center handle and pull it home to the stowed position and hook the drivers side yeti style lid latch onto its snag point. Its habit after 125 road miles.

BDRAG

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Yes mine too closes at 40-45+. It is nice when just putting around the ranch at slow speed on a hot day. Some sort of braces or something to "lock" it open would be nice. Mostly I like that its glass and not plastic. It is well made at least. Time will ultimately tell but I do not regret it.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Yes mine too closes at 40-45+. It is nice when just putting around the ranch at slow speed on a hot day. Some sort of braces or something to "lock" it open would be nice. Mostly I like that its glass and not plastic. It is well made at least. Time will ultimately tell but I do not regret it.

I see in your pic of the black beast that you are not running the windshield wiper. It is a tad pricy but once installed and made to work, it does a great job.

BDRAG

Doshounds

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I installed the top, windshield and wiper kit. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet since I am waiting on parts at powder coaters. With the bigger tires and fender flares the front tires rub the flares so waiting on a lift from On The Rox. Once I get it installed it will be ready to roll.

IMG_4419.JPG

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I see in your pic of the black beast that you are not running the windshield wiper. It is a tad pricy but once installed and made to work, it does a great job.

BDRAG
I just had the dealer order it for me. Seems really pricey at 230 for a wiper but hopefully the quality makes up for it.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
I just had the dealer order it for me. Seems really pricey at 230 for a wiper but hopefully the quality makes up for it.

Like I mentioned in past posts, others have dealt with small install issues easily. I added a washer on the post that mounts to windshield, so a brass nut is not all there is between black powdercoat and the nut. You will also need to re locate the wiper blade pivot hole 3 inches from where it is centered or someone else mentioned they shortened the wiper arm. You may need to drill up a hole in the slot provided for the lower motor mount bolt.

I wired straight to battery lugs for now and replaced the provided in line glass fuse with a blade type that is encased in rubber, Installed near the battery hook up. Convenient high low switch on driver face of unit.

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
If you do not mind. After you use the flip out window for a while. Tell us your honest opinion. If its worth having or a gimmick. In thought it seems like a good ideal. But I have no real world experence with one.

One thing I have not had the pleasure of trying out is how this all works in a hard rain. There is a good gap at the top of the windshield and I bet that water is going to stream in at speed straight over the top. LOL> Hope not but when driving you can feel above windshield and feel a good air flow.:-(

BDRAG

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
One thing I have not had the pleasure of trying out is how this all works in a hard rain. There is a good gap at the top of the windshield and I bet that water is going to stream in at speed straight over the top. LOL> Hope not but when driving you can feel above windshield and feel a good air flow.:-(

BDRAG
My windshield is sealed very well all the way around the outer edge of the frame and there is weather stripping they put between the top of the frame and the roof so no air or water comes through. I have had a chance to drive it in rain and the only water really coming in was around the sides from the tires (need some moderate fender flares) and over the top back around from the wind. As far as the windshield, its glass, so I rainx'd the heck out of it front and back and wipers are not really needed. I guess I want a wiper just in case but honestly it's just a want. Not a need. But if I get one, does not matter to me to mod or fab a little, I enjoy that. What I want is quality hardware. Which is why I ask for pics and opinions.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any word on Fortress doing a full enclosure?

Ganeshram

Had the steel roof and flip out windshield installed by the dealer. The roof and windshield come from "the Perry Company / Fortress LoPro Aftermarket" in Waco, TX. It's about $1000-$1200 for both installed. It appears Perry does not deal to the public so you will likely have to find a dealer that can get it but it's way worth it.

View attachment 1294
Ah....1000$ for windshield....its to look expensive....in India I can make it incl glass for 350US$.all I need is the dimensions of the pipe in the front to make the frame in sheet metal and fix the windshield glass
I can make it here in India and Ship it to US

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Not just the windshield. Also the steel roof and the windshield flips out and it is US DOT rated safety glass. Also, just found out cj7 windshield fits and those can be had for pretty inexpensive. But thank you. I will keep you in mind in the future.

M4R1N3

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
If they do, it's gonna be a heavy one! Lol.

BDRAG
Funny thing is the roxor is the heaviest "jeep" ever made at just under 3100 lbs. The cj7 weighs about 2800. The cj5 about 2700. The cj3 and under weighed around 2300.

DEKirk2

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
For those of you who bought the fortress set up... Did you have to pay freight above what they wanted for the parts? My dealer is saying $1200 plus shipping, $ 215 and then tax on all of it.... seems a little steep!?!