ooooooooooo

Making street legal in Texas

Dieseljeep

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I have own Jeep CJ most of my life and a couple of Wranglers. Put a Turbo diesel in a 1985 CJ7 in 2003 and drove till 2014. Just sold a 2013 Rubicon. Never felt like a Jeep to me. Want to buy a Roxor really bad, but can't justify it unless I can make street legal. At least for non highway use. Keep getting mixed info need facts. They are on sale right now and I already have CJ windshield, roll bar, and steering colum with turnsignal.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That is how I use mine in OK for now. Working with a legislator on getting approval for Mini Truck Status. If that can happen you can drive on state highways, but no interstate, which would be fine with me.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I have own Jeep CJ most of my life and a couple of Wranglers. Put a Turbo diesel in a 1985 CJ7 in 2003 and drove till 2014. Just sold a 2013 Rubicon. Never felt like a Jeep to me. Want to buy a Roxor really bad, but can't justify it unless I can make street legal. At least for non highway use. Keep getting mixed info need facts. They are on sale right now and I already have CJ windshield, roll bar, and steering colum with turnsignal.

I'm here in Texas. As of right now, NO! Read this thread below. Some attained their tags, some denied. When I was rejected I started calling Austin. Found out the same bureaucratic CRAP is happening to the dune buggy, sand rail, kit car guys. DMV has been yanking tags. I was told the same is in store for those Roxors with tags weather they are tags as Roxor or Replica.

In Texas, if the title says FOR OFF-HIGHWAY USE Your screwed. I do have an AG for my property in east Texas and I am so far safe with the orange triangle bolted to my spare tire mount. Allowed to be up to 25 miles from land. Read below. I went to Austin and did get a letter into a few senators hands and got requests for more info. Fingers crossed.

BDRAG

SUPPORT THESE GUY'S BECAUSE THE ROXOR IS IN SAME BOAT!

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Dirt Legal full size plate no messing around.

The turd I spoke with in Austin told me unsolicited that there are out of state companies, he named the above, providing out of state plates and that even if a vehicle is licensed in another state does not make it legal for street use in Texas. It is being driven ILLEGALLY and could be confiscated or impounded if stopped.

I asked that for instance if I lived in Oklahoma where the roxor can be legally licensed and I move to Texas if it's legal in Texas? NO! I could not license it here because the Roxor IS NOT RECOGNIZED AS STREET LEGAL IN TEXAS! I can't drive it here to even visit from Oklahoma. It's not recognized as street legal. PERIOD,

BDRAG

Last edited:

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Dirt Legal full size plate no messing around.

Also, it's very likely that when a person with an out of state Roxor applies for title in Texas and surrenders the out of state title in the process that if the request is denied that now the owner has no title in hand and the state does not have to return the title surrendered in the process. THAT WOULD SUCK, NOW THE OWNER WOULD NOT HAS ANY TITLE,

That risk is not an option I'm my eyes!

This is why I am fighting for the DMV to review the policies currently in place, that's why I threw in to ride the coat tails of the SAVE THE TEXAS DUNE BUGGY movement. They have the attention of the govenor and senate.

BDRAG

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Also, it's very likely that when a person with an out of state Roxor applies for title in Texas and surrenders the out of state title in the process that if the request is denied that now the owner has no title in hand and the state does not have to return the title surrendered in the process. THAT WOULD SUCK, NOW THE OWNER WOULD NOT HAS ANY TITLE,

That risk is not an option I'm my eyes!

This is why I am fighting for the DMV to review the policies currently in place, that's why I threw in to ride the coat tails of the SAVE THE TEXAS DUNE BUGGY movement. They have the attention of the govenor and senate.

BDRAG

In this case the title never transferred. Even if the state doesn’t return your title you can still apply for a lost title from your old state. You will still have a valid title

Reactions: Ben

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
In this case the title never transferred. Even if the state doesn’t return your title you can still apply for a lost title from your old state. You will still have a valid title
Yes most likely but what a f u c ¥ *# g hassle.

BRDAG

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
By the way Oklahoma is the same as Texas as far as registering the Roxor for street use. I know some folks got tags for them, but if law wants to hassle them there is a large penalty according to my tag agent. I am working with local legislators to see if Roxor can be listed as a mini truck. Out of state tags are only good for 30 days in Oklahoma then you have to title in Oklahoma. Which you cannot.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
By the way Oklahoma is the same as Texas as far as registering the Roxor for street use. I know some folks got tags for them, but if law wants to hassle them there is a large penalty according to my tag agent. I am working with local legislators to see if Roxor can be listed as a mini truck. Out of state tags are only good for 30 days in Oklahoma then you have to title in Oklahoma. Which you cannot.

Well then maybe between the two of us we can get some type of REAL WORLD response. Lol. I was lead to believe early on by my local dealer that Oklahoma was a possible tag option. DANG! Lol.

As I have posted, I did everything a person is required to do on any restomod, hot rod or classic car by adding all the minimal safety items required for the others. I passes the states ASE appointed location safety inspection. It's all due to this buracratic support of the US auto industry. The whole DMV is infected against anyone, any company they don't want as competitors.

Watching one of the recorded meetings between save the buggy guys and DMV, if you plan on building your own kit car or buggy or whatever, then you must apply for a manufacturers license with the state. Then to sell that you must apply for a dealers license and can only sell through that dealer and you can't be that dealer as well as builder????? Yea BS. YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN MOTORCYCLE AND TAG IT AND SELL IT AND AND AND........

Now I'm gettin pissed again.

BDRAG

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This Texas thing I have been told does not apply to out of state travelers that have their Rox plated in another state. Most of us will be in the state for less than a month, and, we use the Rox as transportation as we live in a large Motor Coach.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
This Texas thing I have been told does not apply to out of state travelers that have their Rox plated in another state. Most of us will be in the state for less than a month, and, we use the Rox as transportation as we live in a large Motor Coach.

Darstar, most likely you would be safe but, according to the the Tx DMV PLANNER II, Mr Kirk, THE person I called and conversed with, under NO CIRCUMSTANCE can a Roxor be driven on Texas roads. It is NOT RECOGNIZED AS STREET LEGAL regardless where it's tagged. Again, one would have to be stopped first.

Another example from one of the buggy guys and DMV videos was when the DMV head talks openly about a certain jurisdiction in Texas that has many vacation, tourists, visitors to its county using sand rails and dune buggies brought or driven to the area. This place and its officers are 100% aware of the law in regards to those vehicles and routinly pulls them over and sites them. In some cases towing them.

This is what is in store for the Roxor straight out of the person responsible for this BULLSHIT regarding the Roxor here in Texas. It's sad!

BDRAG

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
With Texas taking on this attitude , it’s very likely I will pass on returning next year. Friends feel the same way, not good for the local economy. NM welcomes us with open arms, the toll is the extra distance from theMidwest.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Darstar, most likely you would be safe but, according to the the Tx DMV PLANNER II, Mr Kirk, THE person I called and conversed with, under NO CIRCUMSTANCE can a Roxor be driven on Texas roads. It is NOT RECOGNIZED AS STREET LEGAL regardless where it's tagged. Again, one would have to be stopped first.

Another example from one of the buggy guys and DMV videos was when the DMV head talks openly about a certain jurisdiction in Texas that has many vacation, tourists, visitors to its county using sand rails and dune buggies brought or driven to the area. This place and its officers are 100% aware of the law in regards to those vehicles and routinly pulls them over and sites them. In some cases towing them.

This is what is in store for the Roxor straight out of the person responsible for this BULLSHIT regarding the Roxor here in Texas. It's sad!

BDRAG
I wonder how Texas treats running on the beaches ?

NQILLC

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Some new information from Michigan, that has hope for other states to potentially follow or use as a guide.

Additionally check out Gateway Broncos. They are licensed by Ford to build original body style Broncos from 66-77 https://www.gatewaybronco.com/. They are considered resto-mods, from junker Broncs. So there is no reason legally, you can't put a bunch of Jeep CJ parts on a Roxor, especially if you get a junker CJ with title, and put a CJ style windshield with VIN plate on the wiper motor, register it as that year CJ , and then call it a resto-mod. Same thing is going on here. It's really the only legal way to go for all 50 states. And inspection wise, it will pass.

Attachments

• MI Law 2018-HCB-5639.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 479

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Some new information from Michigan, that has hope for other states to potentially follow or use as a guide.

Additionally check out Gateway Broncos. They are licensed by Ford to build original body style Broncos from 66-77 https://www.gatewaybronco.com/. They are considered resto-mods, from junker Broncs. So there is no reason legally, you can't put a bunch of Jeep CJ parts on a Roxor, especially if you get a junker CJ with title, and put a CJ style windshield with VIN plate on the wiper motor, register it as that year CJ , and then call it a resto-mod. Same thing is going on here. It's really the only legal way to go for all 50 states. And inspection wise, it will pass.
Jesus! Did they misplace a decimal point???180K for a replica bronco?..that make a roxor worth like at least 135k right?? What a deal!

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #

The way I read the amendment, it allows a vehicle WITH AN OFF ROAD TITLE to be licensed if it meets the requirerments listed. The only thing I don't have is a washer fluid set up. That's easy, hang a windex bottle on my grab handle. Lol. No really, it all is completely reasonable to ask a road vehicle to meet.

I will be passing this along to the Save the Dune Buggy guys lobbyist.

BDRAG