ooooooooooo

Leaking intake, mahindra is telling me to pound sand

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have a 2019, bought new from big sky harley in Great Falls MT. Montana makes it easy to be road legal since any atv out here is more or less automatically issued a license plate during the titling process. The speed limit on any road outside of cities is 70, so obviously I went with the stage 1 tune to remove the speed limiter and enable me to move with the flow of traffic. The salesman assured me there would be no impact on the warranty. Less than 300 miles in I started noticing a audible hissing or whooshing sound any time the engine was under load. Upon closer inspection I noticed the boot where the intake pipe transitions to the intake manifold had lifted and broken it's seal. I was in the middle of BFE when it happened so I disassembled it and bent the bracket back flat, and added a strand of tie wire between it and the injector pump to hold it down temporarily. I notified the dealership immediately upon my return to town, and it has been a battle ever since. The dealer said mahindra is only offering a replacement with the stock parts (which failed almost immediately upon delivery). I contacted mahindra corporate and they said they will not cover it because I have a stage 1 tune (salesman assured me it would have no impact on warranty). The fact that there are so many aftermarket intake hold down solutions available tells me I am not the only one to have this issue. Diesel freak has a reasonably priced ($300ish) intake connection kit available that i think mahindra should be utilizing until they figure out how to keep the charged air in the system, but it is not being offered as a solution. Has anyone else out there had similar issues, and what has your resolution been?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I’ve had no issue or resolution as such. I have done the OTR hold down bracket then later the diesel fresk connection. Yes I can see a problem area here Although I don’t think I had a problem. I do have the OTR hold down bracket. If you pm me your address I’ll send it to you and you can send me whatever you feel it’s worth. It’s just sitting in my barn right now. It’s not the best solution but it’s better than nothing. Diesel freak has the best solution.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I can see that you are disappointed... The simple truth is almost every company and manufacturer in America will invalidate their warranty on their product if it's modified away from the OEM specifications. That's just how it is

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sorry about your Roxor issue. That questionably designed intake junction was recognized as a potential problem starting with the first 2018s. OTR and DF addressed it from the beginning and are the easiest, preemptive way to head off trouble, far more so if operating tuned. Like others, i started with the OTR hold down and, not because there was any issue, finally upgraded to the DF kit. Could be a long wait for Mahindra (or any other manufacturer) to voluntarily correct design insufficiencies like this pliable rubber boot arrangement, but at least we have some quality after market solutions. Any aggravating Roxor shortfalls like this over here are certainly a far lesser deal in India where replacement parts are readily available.

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ve had no issue or resolution as such. I have done the OTR hold down bracket then later the diesel fresk connection. Yes I can see a problem area here Although I don’t think I had a problem. I do have the OTR hold down bracket. If you pm me your address I’ll send it to you and you can send me whatever you feel it’s worth. It’s just sitting in my barn right now. It’s not the best solution but it’s better than nothing. Diesel freak has the best solution.
I appreciate the offer, but I agree the df connection kit is the right fix. My tie wire fix does the same thing as the hold down bracket, and there is still a noticeable leak.

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I can see that you are disappointed... The simple truth is almost every company and manufacturer in America will invalidate their warranty on their product if it's modified away from the OEM specifications. That's just how it is
I absolutely agree that companies are well within their right to invalidate their warranties if a product is modified. I have a duramax that didn't get tinkered with until after the warranty period for that exact reason.. What chaps my ass with this situation is the dealer reassured me the tunes they sold did not impact the factory warranty. It was a big factor in my decision to purchase the roxor. I may not have purchased the unit had I known it couldn't go over 55mph without voiding the warranty. At the very least, I would have waited for the warranty period to be over before adding a tune. Either mahindra corporate is lying to the dealers about the tunes impacting the warranty, or the dealer lied to me. Either way, my decision making process would have been a whole lot different if I would have had all of the facts.

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The only resolution is to pony up the $ yourself and get the diesel freak component
I disagree. According to the agreement when I purchased the unit new from the dealer, there is a 2 year warranty, and the tunes they sold and installed were sold under the condition they did not impact warranty coverage. The right resolution would be for either mahindra or the dealer to hold up their end of the agreement and make the repairs.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I disagree. According to the agreement when I purchased the unit new from the dealer, there is a 2 year warranty, and the tunes they sold and installed were sold under the condition they did not impact warranty coverage. The right resolution would be for either mahindra or the dealer to hold up their end of the agreement and make the repairs.
That's not a real fix. The design is inferior. They leak even when 100% bone stock.

Ron

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Kind of ironic though. With the tuner in the engine is probably closer to OEM specs than the de-tuned ECM engines are.

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I appreciate all the feedback. Did anyone else buy a tuned ecm from the dealer at the same time as they bought their roxor? If so, was the impact on the warranty discussed? I'm curious if I am the only one that was told the tunes would not impact warranty coverage.

Buckpasser

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
They may not pay for anything, but I see the dealer as being responsible. They sold you all components with the verbal promise of no effect on warranty. They SHOULD pay and learn their lesson on giving inaccurate information on what the manufacturer will and won’t cover.

WhistlePig

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update for anyone interested.

First off, thanks for all of the feedback.

Shortly after I made my original post, the dealer called and said they had gotten the authorization from mahindra to go ahead with the repairs. Silly me, I thought my conversations with the service manager were clear that "repair" meant putting something different there instead of replacing faulty parts with the same poorly designed parts that had already failed almost immediately. Today, after over a year and ~5500 miles from when I originally contacted them about the problem, the dealer called me and said they had the parts. While on the phone the service manager explained all he could do is replace it with original parts, and they would continue to do that as long as it is under warranty. After the warranty period, it's no longer their problem. I took it down there and they installed a new stock hold down bracket, and said they installed a new rubber sleeve between the manifold and lower grid heater adapter (upon inspection i found soot buildup on the exposed sleeve flange so I'm not convinced it was replaced). They also replaced my tie wire field repair with a zip tie between the injector pump and grid heater, which i was less than impressed by, as well as curious if that is part of the repair procedure. Leaving the parking lot it was noticeably quieter and had better power. I drove for roughly 10 miles and the hiss is slowly coming back, and the power is dropping back off again. As of now it's still better than when I brought it in, but my confidence in the repair diminished quickly.

I understand the dealer can only do what mahindra authorizes, but it is aggravating having a brand new vehicle acting up from almost day one, and the manufacturer taking over half of the warranty period to provide a half assed solution. It makes me think if I bring it back because its still leaking, the warranty period will be over before the next "repair" is ever authorized. Luckily there are good aftermarket solutions out there for this problem, but I would expect a manufacturer to want to ensure their shortfalls do not ruin their reputation.

I just returned from a month long trip with my roxor, and it was easily once a day on average someone approached me asking either what it was, or if I liked my mahindra. I have been talking up the machine, because it is truly an awesome vehicle, but mentioning the leaking intake and that I was waiting to see what mahindra will do about it. Now I guess I have my answer, and will share it when asked in the future. Lucky for mahindra there are no competitors in the roxor category of vehicles, but anyone in the market for one should plan on purchasing an aftermarket intake connection.

I'll be in the market for a tractor shortly, and I had previously made up my mind that I would be buying mahindra. After this run around over something so simple, I have no faith in mahindra standing behind their products for any reason, and I don't want to be stuck with the bill for something catastrophic on a brand new tractor. I will be looking elsewhere, as well as encouraging others to do the same. Anyone got any other tractor recommendations that aren't green and yellow???

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Update for anyone interested.

First off, thanks for all of the feedback.

Shortly after I made my original post, the dealer called and said they had gotten the authorization from mahindra to go ahead with the repairs. Silly me, I thought my conversations with the service manager were clear that "repair" meant putting something different there instead of replacing faulty parts with the same poorly designed parts that had already failed almost immediately. Today, after over a year and ~5500 miles from when I originally contacted them about the problem, the dealer called me and said they had the parts. While on the phone the service manager explained all he could do is replace it with original parts, and they would continue to do that as long as it is under warranty. After the warranty period, it's no longer their problem. I took it down there and they installed a new stock hold down bracket, and said they installed a new rubber sleeve between the manifold and lower grid heater adapter (upon inspection i found soot buildup on the exposed sleeve flange so I'm not convinced it was replaced). They also replaced my tie wire field repair with a zip tie between the injector pump and grid heater, which i was less than impressed by, as well as curious if that is part of the repair procedure. Leaving the parking lot it was noticeably quieter and had better power. I drove for roughly 10 miles and the hiss is slowly coming back, and the power is dropping back off again. As of now it's still better than when I brought it in, but my confidence in the repair diminished quickly.

I understand the dealer can only do what mahindra authorizes, but it is aggravating having a brand new vehicle acting up from almost day one, and the manufacturer taking over half of the warranty period to provide a half assed solution. It makes me think if I bring it back because its still leaking, the warranty period will be over before the next "repair" is ever authorized. Luckily there are good aftermarket solutions out there for this problem, but I would expect a manufacturer to want to ensure their shortfalls do not ruin their reputation.

I just returned from a month long trip with my roxor, and it was easily once a day on average someone approached me asking either what it was, or if I liked my mahindra. I have been talking up the machine, because it is truly an awesome vehicle, but mentioning the leaking intake and that I was waiting to see what mahindra will do about it. Now I guess I have my answer, and will share it when asked in the future. Lucky for mahindra there are no competitors in the roxor category of vehicles, but anyone in the market for one should plan on purchasing an aftermarket intake connection.

I'll be in the market for a tractor shortly, and I had previously made up my mind that I would be buying mahindra. After this run around over something so simple, I have no faith in mahindra standing behind their products for any reason, and I don't want to be stuck with the bill for something catastrophic on a brand new tractor. I will be looking elsewhere, as well as encouraging others to do the same. Anyone got any other tractor recommendations that aren't green and yellow???
Seems every manufacturer has their own component design issues. Big names with solid reputations like Toyota have had some doozies. Mahindra is no exception. Producers make a calculation as to consequences of admitting their mistakes and the cost of any corrections. Decisions involving doing the right thing are rarely held hostage to ethics. Consequently, except in the most egregious instances, usually involving safety liability issues, customer complaints are not likely destined for a happy resolution. In Roxor's case, a $300 DF fix stings, but at least it works. Though Roxor has a few kinks, being on my third Polaris Ranger, I'd take Roxor over a half dozen disposable, belt driven, plastic UTV offerings and the staggering costs of their repairs. As for Mahindra tractors, at least in mid to larger sizes, short of a brand like Kioti, one might be hard pressed to get better value for the money. They are built stout and durable, steel without a lot of high gloss plastic. Mahindra's AG side is quite distinct from Roxor. That's why many are hoping that if/when Roxor is reincarnated it is also marketed thru tractor dealerships as well. Good luck in your decision.

Mtroxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Good to know about the warranty fight. I also purchased mine from great falls and was assured a tune that they installed before I even picked up the machine would not affect the warranty. I haven't had to test it yet, but now I guess I know to expect a little battle if I need it. They up sold me to at 5 year warranty, so I guess I'll see.

David R Berge

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’ll second Kubota.
Been a ranch manager for over 25 years. IMHO, anything bigger than 70 hp I buy green but anything 70 hp and smaller, Kubota all the way. I have 4 Kubotas that have been here quite a while. Good power, start excellent in cold weather, fairly fuel efficient, easy to operate…. My ranch hands all agree also.

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Kubota is good, I have a B3200. I also own a LS [they make all the New Holland under 100 hp]. I considered Rural King's tractors [made by TYM] but the LS came with more features standard when I purchased about 18 months ago, it was part of a promotion.

Greg

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The dealer ability to Handel warranty issues will effect the future sales of the Roxor in the US.
In this day with all social medial and forums people are able to communicate and share.
The Roxor is a great platform but it needs refining. Mahindra needs to own up on the design flaws.
Dealers need to be able to have parts on hand. Getting parts must get easier.