ooooooooooo

I liked my Mahindra tractor so well I bought a Roxor, and I wasn't disappointed.

GnadenAce

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
About a year ago I bought a Mahindra 1638 tractor/backhoe to replace a similar size John Deere. The Deere was about a 2000 year model, found out later it was a Yanmar with green paint. Everything was made of plastic, including the shifting forks, which broke. Splitting the machine and fixing it (with more plastic shifting forks) was about $5000. Soon traded for the Mahindra and have been pleased that the only plastic is a small part of the dash and the fender skirts. Very solid machine. I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic that ran the families mining operation. I was not satisfied with the lifting capacity of the Mahindra, so much that I had the dealer come out and prove to me that the machine was lifting to specs, just not over. I was used to operating heavy Cat and Volvo loaders with enough power to lift the rear end of the machine off of the ground, and the Mahindra was not engineered to do that. I did finally recognize that Mahindra engineers had put limits on the machine so that you couldn't "do anything stupid". They also used the horsepower of the engine to full advantage in each gear. With the hydro transmission (love it) there is little overlap in power requirements between the gears. If you head up a hill in hi gear even empty, you'll probably shift before the top of the hill. I can see where this is all part of the plan for durability and longevity. I've not been easy on my tractor, have a grapple on the front and harvest firewood from steep hillsides. I've tortured the crap out of my 1638, and the only problems have been of my making. When I saw that Mahindra was selling the redesigned Roxor model, I bought one.

I bought a 2022 black enclosed from a dealer in Lancaster, Ohio because my local tractor dealer was not a Roxor dealer. Shout out to Specialty Tractor, they had the machine in stock, had knowledgeable sales staff, and the transaction was painless. Hauled the Roxor home and have put about 175 miles on it, mostly off road but enough high speed road with steep hills to properly break in the engine. Weather in Ohio immediately went to heavy rain and then constant sub freezing cold. Some of my observations so far...

I grew up with clutches, transfer cases, lock out hubs and open differentials. While I'd rather have a diesel without a computer, this one seems rock solid and I'm pretty sure is in some of Mahindra's tractors. Other than the engine, I'm pretty sure I could fix just about anything that might go wrong with the machine. After some time with the machine, I'm pretty sure that if I don't mess with the way it is designed, I probably won't have anything to fix for a long time. I realize that when you race, you need all the speed and torque that you can squeeze out of your machine, but I wouldn't want a prospective buyer to think that he has to modify to have satisfactory performance. The Roxor is different from the tractor in that the stock engine puts a ridiculous amount of torque to the wheels in any of the 5 gears. When I want to really put a load on the Roxor engine, I run it up a nearby hill called "mile hill", because it's about a 400' elevation difference in a mile of twisty turny county road. It's the only way to make the heater actually heat, and it's an important part of breaking in a diesel engine. With the turns I can't get a good run for it, but I can get over half way up in 5th gear, and after the shift the engine will gain speed and top the hill in 4th. I've been around all kinds of mining equipment my entire life, and this machine is impressive in it's stock configuration. I plan on pulling a trailer into the woods, and I'm concerned that increasing the horsepower may have unintended consequences in the clutch or any other drive line components when the trailer load may properly exceed the vehicle weight. (That's impressive too.)

There have been a couple of issues after the grandson took it out in the deep mud up to the doors (didn't get stuck). The next morning the starter would spin but the bendix wouldn't engage. Threw up a windbreak around the machine with an electric heater right under the starter. Started up after about a half hour. No further problems in even colder weather, but bought a spare starter just to be safe. At the same time discovered that the emergency break cable had frozen engaged, and the brakes were stuck on on the rear axle. Had to let it set until the weather warmed up and then squirted WD 40 into the end of the cable . Next time it froze, the brakes froze again. Next time it thawed out I squirted it again and taped an empty pop can to the brake handle so we remember not to use it until the weather warms up unless we have to. Remember park in first gear with wheel cut into the curb.

One other observation, the factory cab leaves a lot to be desired if you bought it so your wife could ride in a/c and heated comfort. If it's raining the doors will leak, if the wind is blowing the doors will leak more. This machine is designed to be eternally caked in mud, and the cab is to keep the mud from landing directly on you. There is no way of getting in or out of this machine (stock) without getting whatever is on the machine on you. Also, I used to ride moto cross and love speed and thrills. The stock Roxor limited out at 56-57MPH is a real thrill ride with the doors flapping and the windshield flexing in and out 1/2" or so. The wheel width is narrow compared to a car or truck, and I'm pretty sure a quick jerk of the wheel would have us on our side in no time. Can't see myself taking it any faster.

Final review, if you have the means, buy one. You won't be sorry.

All in all, I highly recommend the Roxor.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Glad you are pleased with your purchase.

This forum is a waterfall of knowledge! Welcome and congrats on your roxor.

FredFlintstone

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have had my roxor for about 4 months and really love it so far. I have found this forum to be really helpful..

Glad you are enjoying yours...

GiStore

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Thar Owner
About a year ago I bought a Mahindra 1638 tractor/backhoe to replace a similar size John Deere. The Deere was about a 2000 year model, found out later it was a Yanmar with green paint. Everything was made of plastic, including the shifting forks, which broke. Splitting the machine and fixing it (with more plastic shifting forks) was about $5000. Soon traded for the Mahindra and have been pleased that the only plastic is a small part of the dash and the fender skirts. Very solid machine. I'm a retired heavy equipment mechanic that ran the families mining operation. I was not satisfied with the lifting capacity of the Mahindra, so much that I had the dealer come out and prove to me that the machine was lifting to specs, just not over. I was used to operating heavy Cat and Volvo loaders with enough power to lift the rear end of the machine off of the ground, and the Mahindra was not engineered to do that. I did finally recognize that Mahindra engineers had put limits on the machine so that you couldn't "do anything stupid". They also used the horsepower of the engine to full advantage in each gear. With the hydro transmission (love it) there is little overlap in power requirements between the gears. If you head up a hill in hi gear even empty, you'll probably shift before the top of the hill. I can see where this is all part of the plan for durability and longevity. I've not been easy on my tractor, have a grapple on the front and harvest firewood from steep hillsides. I've tortured the crap out of my 1638, and the only problems have been of my making. When I saw that Mahindra was selling the redesigned Roxor model, I bought one.

I bought a 2022 black enclosed from a dealer in Lancaster, Ohio because my local tractor dealer was not a Roxor dealer. Shout out to Specialty Tractor, they had the machine in stock, had knowledgeable sales staff, and the transaction was painless. Hauled the Roxor home and have put about 175 miles on it, mostly off road but enough high speed road with steep hills to properly break in the engine. Weather in Ohio immediately went to heavy rain and then constant sub freezing cold. Some of my observations so far...

I grew up with clutches, transfer cases, lock out hubs and open differentials. While I'd rather have a diesel without a computer, this one seems rock solid and I'm pretty sure is in some of Mahindra's tractors. Other than the engine, I'm pretty sure I could fix just about anything that might go wrong with the machine. After some time with the machine, I'm pretty sure that if I don't mess with the way it is designed, I probably won't have anything to fix for a long time. I realize that when you race, you need all the speed and torque that you can squeeze out of your machine, but I wouldn't want a prospective buyer to think that he has to modify to have satisfactory performance. The Roxor is different from the tractor in that the stock engine puts a ridiculous amount of torque to the wheels in any of the 5 gears. When I want to really put a load on the Roxor engine, I run it up a nearby hill called "mile hill", because it's about a 400' elevation difference in a mile of twisty turny county road. It's the only way to make the heater actually heat, and it's an important part of breaking in a diesel engine. With the turns I can't get a good run for it, but I can get over half way up in 5th gear, and after the shift the engine will gain speed and top the hill in 4th. I've been around all kinds of mining equipment my entire life, and this machine is impressive in it's stock configuration. I plan on pulling a trailer into the woods, and I'm concerned that increasing the horsepower may have unintended consequences in the clutch or any other drive line components when the trailer load may properly exceed the vehicle weight. (That's impressive too.)

There have been a couple of issues after the grandson took it out in the deep mud up to the doors (didn't get stuck). The next morning the starter would spin but the bendix wouldn't engage. Threw up a windbreak around the machine with an electric heater right under the starter. Started up after about a half hour. No further problems in even colder weather, but bought a spare starter just to be safe. At the same time discovered that the emergency break cable had frozen engaged, and the brakes were stuck on on the rear axle. Had to let it set until the weather warmed up and then squirted WD 40 into the end of the cable . Next time it froze, the brakes froze again. Next time it thawed out I squirted it again and taped an empty pop can to the brake handle so we remember not to use it until the weather warms up unless we have to. Remember park in first gear with wheel cut into the curb.

One other observation, the factory cab leaves a lot to be desired if you bought it so your wife could ride in a/c and heated comfort. If it's raining the doors will leak, if the wind is blowing the doors will leak more. This machine is designed to be eternally caked in mud, and the cab is to keep the mud from landing directly on you. There is no way of getting in or out of this machine (stock) without getting whatever is on the machine on you. Also, I used to ride moto cross and love speed and thrills. The stock Roxor limited out at 56-57MPH is a real thrill ride with the doors flapping and the windshield flexing in and out 1/2" or so. The wheel width is narrow compared to a car or truck, and I'm pretty sure a quick jerk of the wheel would have us on our side in no time. Can't see myself taking it any faster.

Final review, if you have the means, buy one. You won't be sorry.

All in all, I highly recommend the Roxor.
Great insights,Just to share i have almost all parts available for roxor & mahindra including tractors as well & i precure parts from mahindra plant directly.So if you are stuck for parts let me know.

GnadenAce

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Great insights,Just to share i have almost all parts available for roxor & mahindra including tractors as well & i precure parts from mahindra plant directly.So if you are stuck for parts let me know.
I believe I just ordered a spare ECU for my Roxor from your store. Haven't seen any for sale before and I would feel better if I had a spare at that price. It will definitely be stored in a Faraday cage. Plus, I would really hesitate to send my only ECU across the country and back by USPS if I would ever want to do a performance enhancement. Thank you for your service to the Roxor community. Don't care how I get the parts, as long as they are available.

GiStore

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Thar Owner
I believe I just ordered a spare ECU for my Roxor from your store. Haven't seen any for sale before and I would feel better if I had a spare at that price. It will definitely be stored in a Faraday cage. Plus, I would really hesitate to send my only ECU across the country and back by USPS if I would ever want to do a performance enhancement. Thank you for your service to the Roxor community. Don't care how I get the parts, as long as they are available.
Be rest assured i have shipped 2 ECU already ,Its genuine Mahindra number matching part ,No need to worry.Since i ship by fedEx Express delivery is in 5-14 Days max ,Yes at times for some parts it may take longer considering availability at mahindra plant,but it will be availble.for sure.
However am open to working with anyone willing to work with me & keep small parts in stock for for overall helping the forum members , ,its painful to know something like correct oil drain washers availability being a concern.will ship same free of cost with every filter shipped by my store.
Am available for any support required for the community .