ooooooooooo

Hello

Oldgrouch62

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Hello people. I just recently learned that it may be possible to make one of these things street legal so that piqued my interest. I would frankly not consider one as an off-road only type of device but for years I've been watching out for an old Jeep I could afford to get & fix up and use around the farm, for short trips to town, and some "redneck convertible" type of use, mainly on county roads at speeds under 50 MPH. Jeeps of any age and condition are sky high so I'd be spending a whole lot more than the cost of a new Roxor and the necessary paperwork, equipment, etc to go that route. And at 57 I am afraid I am gonna run out of years or energy before I find that jeep and get it fixed up, this looks like a place with a ton of info that I hope to find useful.

General

Founding Member
Welcome. You'll find lots of good info around this forum. Mahindra strongly opposes on-road use, because their opponent is the Federal government. However, States individually govern who gets registered to drive on public roads. Every state has different standards, ranging from impossible to super easy. Search "street legal" and you'll discover a range of options listed around this site.

MikeT

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Welcome. You'll find lots of good info around this forum. Mahindra strongly opposes on-road use, because their opponent is the Federal government. However, States individually govern who gets registered to drive on public roads. Every state has different standards, ranging from impossible to super easy. Search "street legal" and you'll discover a range of options listed around this site.

This is possibly the most accurate and concise explanation I have seen for this (insert photo of Geico General here!!).

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hello people. I just recently learned that it may be possible to make one of these things street legal so that piqued my interest. I would frankly not consider one as an off-road only type of device but for years I've been watching out for an old Jeep I could afford to get & fix up and use around the farm, for short trips to town, and some "redneck convertible" type of use, mainly on county roads at speeds under 50 MPH. Jeeps of any age and condition are sky high so I'd be spending a whole lot more than the cost of a new Roxor and the necessary paperwork, equipment, etc to go that route. And at 57 I am afraid I am gonna run out of years or energy before I find that jeep and get it fixed up, this looks like a place with a ton of info that I hope to find useful.
Welcome, I was in the same boat - wanting a vintage jeep but couldn't justify letting go of a TON of cash. We moved to Arizona from Washington State about 5 years ago and noticed ATV's, Golf Cart's, SxS's, and dirt bikes all over the place on public roads - and I'm like WTF!! Found out You need
head-tail & stop lights & horn & mirror. Hand signals are legal, no windshield required just eye protection. No inspections! Take MSO or Title to DMV for off road plate and also pay tax for the on - road tab. (you get two tabs for the plate which is sized for a motorcycle.) Current drivers license and proof of insurance and you are good to go. Compared to many other States AZ is very friendly. Even the folks at the DMV are nice and treat you as a customer (which is what you are) and not some pain in the ass that just walked thru the door and asked them to get off their butt and do their job. (State of Washington comes to mind) So .... just thinkin' ...... Lot's of snow birds here from other States that register their toys for on-road use. Could a person go to a customer friendly state with sensible regulations with a MSO or Title and go back home with a new title and plate? Dunno, but certainly something to think about. That's pretty much what Dirt Legal does for you and charges BIG $$$. Well anyway - for me the Roxor is the perfect combo for running around exploring this beautiful desert landscape called Aizona:cool:

B

Bister

Does your state allow other side x side/UTV/ATV's on backroads (non inter-state) like AZ does?

Oldgrouch62

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
They're pretty lenient about 4-wheelers etc on the roads. Most counties have an ordinance that allows them as well as golf carts etc so long as you have lights mirrors etc and can show proof of liability insurance. But they're not allowed on any state or federal highways here and not all the cops are real forgiving about it even on side roads because it's often kind of a gray area. IN does allow mini-trucks and once you get the on-road title tags etc you can drive one of those everywhere except interstate highways. I am kind of hoping that maybe the Roxor will fall under that umbrella, though it's way outside of the guidelines (62" max width, 1,600 lbs max empty weight, etc).

And I really don't want to be the test case if I can avoid it. I'd hate to spend that much money just to find out that I can't cruise over to town and pick up some parts or visit the DQ or whatever. Might as well just get a Gator, close to the same money and a lot of times here the extra weight of a Roxor would be a heck of a disadvantage in not being able to float over soft ground.

I've even thought that if I ever did find a rusty hulk of a CJ-5 that had an intact VIN plate and a clean title, I might pull a bit of sleight of hand, but that's probably going to be about as bad as finding an old Jeep that's worth fixing!

EDIT: I just found this map. I'm in one of the "special restrictions" counties, I'll have to add the courthouse to my list of calls tomorrow just to see where I stand.

Attachments

• or-ATVRoads.pdf
    348.8 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
B

Bister

I live in the eastern part of Saskatchewan. Our off-road vehicle legislation states we can drive in the ditch (which no one does), cross highways etc, but no one really looks in this area. We just use the gravel roads and stay off the highways. Just a way of life now. Most towns have bylaws to allow in/out of ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. Some RM's have bylaws stating you can drive on the gravel roads. We don't even get looked a here, there are bigger fish to fry. Just be respectful and follow the rules of the road. Kind of lucky here.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Northern WI is similar to AZ in that UTVs and everything are a way of life. They drive all over. General rule is dont drive along the state highways (the numbered highways, not letter county roads, for you non-cheesers) and you can pretty much go anywhere.

The Roxor is definitely cheaper than doing a full restore on a CJ5, and much cheaper than a restore plus a diesel. I have both. I do have an extra CJ5 as well. PM if you decide this route.

Oldgrouch62

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Well I spent some time on the phone this morning navigating some of our state government employees. The jury is back, and the answer to street-legal Roxors in Indiana is, “Not just no but hell no!!!”. While Dirtlegal can get me an out-of-state title, Indiana DMV already knows all about the Roxor and they will only issue an off-road title for it. You can't get tags with one of those and you do have to register it with the DNR and affix the sticker they issue (for $$$ of course) to it, branding it forever an ORV legal only on some county roads in some-but-not-all counties here and with various restrictions. Dirtlegal replied to my query before I learned the same thing from our local officialdom here and suggested that I title/register it in SoDak, which I could apparently do simply by getting a P.O. Box there with some mail-forwarding service and keep the tags up. Sorry friends but people go to jail for that sort of thing here. Back when IL still had a flat and relatively cheap registration fee for cars and pickups ($20/year, IIRC) it was common for people here to go across the line, get a P.O. Box, and register their vehicles over there. In the early '90s IN cracked down on that hard. Registration fees, which are on the stupid side of ridiculous here, are a major source of revenue for the state to waste, and InGOV is extremely jealous of its revenue streams.

I've already writ to my state rep and state senator, so we'll see if that does anything. Past experience tends towards my correspondence going into File 13 and at most getting a form letter back so I do not hold out a great deal of hope for that.

Well it sure was a fun idea while it lasted. I guess that ye olde midlife crisis will just have to find some other outlet. I appreciate the friendly welcome and the info you good folks have provided, and I'll probably check in periodically just to see what's going on. In the meantime, I won't waste any more of your time. Happy day, all.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I know people out there have tagged swapped these, but IMO that is the worst approach to doing this. It's just so risky. The insurance situation is murky, and I just plain don't have enough innate luck to have that method work.

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

no offense to anyone here
I bought an ATV from a motorcycle dealer. Paid the same price as a bad ass cj5 or cj7. Adding upgrades to a roxor like these bad ass jeeps selling for the same price is a decision

when I read a post from a new member saying I hear the roxor is going to be street legal it’s gotta be an advertisement.

hey I really like my turbo diesel but can’t complain that it’s not hwy legal
or anything else U bought into. hey i feel for those who can drive on county roads but this post is like a community flyer to me
F4AC0B56-28D9-4E84-8791-9FEA12D0A7EB.jpeg
AA8C8515-78BD-44A5-93DB-DA2D10E5D88D.jpeg

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

here’s a local Indiana jeep to look at with a V8 33” tires turn signals heater radio windshield license plates show ready thousands cheaper ready to go

948FB95F-1DEA-4874-A2BB-930ED38EB7D5.jpeg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
While I love old Jeep CJs, I have two of em, the allure of brand new everything is appealing. Also, the sticker price of a used car is never the real price. There is something wrong with each and every one - this is why they are for sale. Definitely each have their day. I will say this, if the Roxor was not diesel, I woulda gone through with putting a diesel in my '57 CJ5 (still may actually).

If you are buying the Roxor purely to drive on the street, that decision should not be made without forethought and planning. It is very possible in many places. It will be a very regional thing, though. Some places will have wide open access, some not.

Oldgrouch62

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I bought an ATV from a motorcycle dealer. Paid the same price as a bad ass cj5 or cj7. Adding upgrades to a roxor like these bad ass jeeps selling for the same price is a decision

when I read a post from a new member saying I hear the roxor is going to be street legal it’s gotta be an advertisement.

or anything else U bought into. hey i feel for those who can drive on county roads but this post is like a community flyer to meView attachment 4174View attachment 4175
I'm not advertising for anybody. I heard some guys talking at the co-op and asked what they were fired up about was all. They obviously had their info wrong (happens a lot at places like that) but all I was doing was trying to verify yea or nay and I found this place. Sorry I got your feathers ruffled. I'm not here to sell anything or to sow any divisiveness.

Jeeps are sky-high here or I'd just buy one but I could spend nearly as much as for one of these things and still have to end up spending God-alone-knows in shop time and $$$ to make it reliable and roadworthy. My preference would be for a good old US-built pre-Chrysler Jeep...but what you want and what you can get are often two different things.

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Do you happen to have a link?

there are a few jeeps advertised on craigslist to auto trader...just asking you to look it took me minutes. Drove 30 hrs to get my trophy fishing boat My point is your going to spend less on a new bad ass jeep to have a windshield heat turn signal steel grill radio winch lift tires etc...
Sorry to offend my point is you can get that jeep you dream of and it’s cheaper than a roxor when u compare apples. A 2016 wrangler sport automatic for your wife is cheaper also.
If your area is debating road use and you don’t need diesel pusher check ur options
good luck

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

or anything else U bought into. hey i feel for those who can drive on county roads but this post is like a community flyer to meView attachment 4174View attachment 4175

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Andydaniel137

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Andy - not sure what your post is really aimed at. Maybe I just read it the wrong way= but if you want a FIAT / Chrysler "Jeep" then by all means knock your lights out. My read on the Roxor community is that most want a SIMPLE dependable well built vehicle that will offer great off road performance at a reasonable price. My thing is I own a NEW vehicle that is as close to the original Jeep as I will see without jumping off the deep end. That is exactly what I've been wanting for many years. I know guys with $30k and more invested in Razor turbo's - great!! That's their thing ..... this is mine and I hope you enjoy yours. To each his own brother - don't cut down that which you don't understand or appreciate:cool:

CLN

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
there are a few jeeps advertised on craigslist to auto trader...just asking you to look it took me minutes. Drove 30 hrs to get my trophy fishing boat My point is your going to spend less on a new bad ass jeep to have a windshield heat turn signal steel grill radio winch lift tires etc..