ooooooooooo

Got blinkers done

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
After ordering a kit from EZ Turn Signals a few months back, I finally installed the blinkers.

Steering column switch is solid. It has green indicator lights that flash when you activate the turnsignal. It has a hazzard flasher switch. It does NOT reset automatically when you complete the turn.

The blinker module is solid-state type for LEDs. I have not looked up specs, but I think it can handle only about 40W. It will work with factory incandescent bulbs for blinkers. (BUT DO NOT activate the hazzards - 4 incandescent bulbs flashing at the same time will blow the inline 3A fuse). The flasher module comes with an inline fuse holder.
It is a three pin: ground, switched power to the steering cloumn switch (SCS), switched power to the little green indicators on the SCS.

I ordered LED lights for front and rear (but decided to use the factory tail and side lights for now)

I ordered indicator lights for the dash to show you which blinker is on. I did not know the steering colum switch already had indicators. Could have saved a few bucks here.

I ordered the cable kit. Worth it. Wires are colored red, yellow, blue green, etc. The instructions use the colors to make installations vert easy: Yellow to yellow, blue to blue, etc. You an see the colored cables in the pictures (fire wall and steering column).

Instrucrions are step by step, connect colors, easy to follow.

I spent 2 hours running wires just to see what reaches where and what the best routes are. I spliced into the rear tail lights to see if I can use them as blinkers and used wire nuts to connect and test the system. Then I spent another 2-3 hours finishing wiring: replace wire nuts with actual connectors, braid grounds, bundle and zip tie wires, heat shrink connectors, etc).
I need to add a wire loom to cover up the wires in the engine bay and at the steering column. Just left it open to take the pictures.
Now that I have done it once, it would take me 3 hours start ro finish.

Ground
Establish a common ground for front lights, and steering column switch (SCS). Tail lights have ground to the body right at the factory lights.

Power
From battery (+) to fuse to blinker module to SCS. From SCS to each corner blinker. One additional line from blinker module to SCS (for the green indicator lights on SCS).

REAR
I ran wire from the power steerimg pump down the fire wall and along the driver side frame back the driver side tail lights. On the frame are two factory clips to hold brake lines. These clips have an open slot that will hold the wires.
From the driver side (inside the bumper) to the passenger side tail lights.

I used the top bulb in the factory lights for the blinkers. Power on the passenger side is on orange, on driver side it is blue. The factory tail lights are grounded to the frame.
Connecting power to the blue and orange wire took the longest in the entire install. It is an awkward spot. I cut the blue and orange wires between the connector and the light fixture and used butt connectors for power from the SCS. I could have saved time just using splice connectors, but I wanted it done right. Again, the tail light is grounded. No need ro run ground back to the SCS if you use stock incandescent bulbes.

FRONT
I use the facrory indicators with 2 new wires:. Power from SCS. Ground from common ground. I unplugged the connector for the side marker lights in the factory harness. You csn an see the green connectors in the picture. Then, I connected the power and ground from SCS with male spade connectors.

Now that I have blinkers with incandescent bulbs, maybe I will look to replace them with LED bulbs.... not in a rush. I just need to remember to not pull the hazzard and blow the fuse. ?

Any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

20201014_121907.jpg 20201014_121843.jpg 20201014_121838.jpg 20201014_121829.jpg 20201014_082008.jpg

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The 4 pin connector on the driver side in your 4th picture contains the rear turn signal wires that run to the tail lights.

Grump Fish

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The 4 pin connector on the driver side in your 4th picture contains the rear turn signal wires that run to the tail lights.
Are you referring tp the black connector right by where the new wires are tie wrapped? This is a project on my list and I would like to tie into the harness rather than running new wires.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Coldweather86: thanks for the info on the wiring to the tail lights. That is very helpful for setting up the stock lights as blinkers. Which, turns out, I did after changing my orignial plan.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
When I installed blinkers on my 2nd Roxor, I just bought the parts, rather than buying a kit. Total cost about $100.

Blinker switch (steering column): Truck Lite 900. All metal, black body with a metal, silver lever. $60
Blinker Relay: FL3-RED-K: 3 Pin Red American Flasher. $15
Wiring: 18-4 (red, green, black, white) wire from the steering column switch to the blinkers. Wires from the blinker relay to the steering column switch. $20
Connectors and fuse holder: $10

I put RED led bulbs in the rear blinkers and and brake lights.

adam8504

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
When I installed blinkers on my 2nd Roxor, I just bought the parts, rather than buying a kit. Total cost about $100.

Blinker switch (steering column): Truck Lite 900. All metal, black body with a metal, silver lever. $60
Wiring: 18-4 (red, green, black, white) wire from the steering column switch to the blinkers. Wires from the blinker relay to the steering column switch. $20

WHAT BULBS DID YOU GET FOR THE REAR AND DID YOU TIE IN THE
FRONT FENDER LIGHT AS WELL?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
For the rear blinkers, I got Sylvania 7506, RED. The red LED makes big difference for brake and blinkers.
When you pull the stock incandescent bulbs, you will find them marked with the proper type.

I left the bulb in the fender stock. Not sure if there even is a replacement.

I added 3/4" LED blinkers in the grille: Partsam, 3/4" smoked lense.

adam8504

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
For the rear blinkers, I got Sylvania 7506, RED. The red LED makes big difference for brake and blinkers.
When you pull the stock incandescent bulbs, you will find them marked with the proper type.

I left the bulb in the fender stock. Not sure if there even is a replacement.

I added 3/4" LED blinkers in the grille: Partsam, 3/4" smoked lense.
Thanks so much I’m gonna get all my parts ordered and get busy

Finn

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy

I read on Amazon that the truck lite 900 would not work with LED bulbs, did you have any issues?
Much appreciated

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Finn: The Trucklite 900 is just the switch. It will turn on either incandescent or LED lights. There are different version of the 900 series with a different number of wires. It doesnt matter which one you get. They will all work. You just need to make sure to ground the switch per the instructions.

The important part is to use a relay that can handle LEDs. The relay I listed will work with LEDs. As long as the relay you decide to use works with LEDs, you will be Ok.

(I do not suggest to use the relay I use with incandescent bulb. They draw too much power. The relay requires a 3A fuse. Before I got the LED bulbs in the mail, I tested my blinker install with incandescent bulbs in all four corners. Blinking left or right was not an issue. When I turned on the hazzards and all four incandescent bulbs turned on, the 3A fuse blew).

I have used the parts in my earlier message on both of my Roxors with LED blinkers at all four corners.

Deuskid

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

@AZROX

No mention and I don't want to assume.... did you use the oem wiring for the 'runs' to the lenses?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Deuskid: for the last few inches of wiring to the blinkers, I used the factory harness.
Front side markers: the wire that runs from the light, through the fender into the engine compartment, has a plug. I put male spade connectors at the end of the wire I installed. The spades plug into the factory plug. You can see it in one of the pictures.
Rear blinkers: I spliced into the blue wire and orange wire a few inches away from the tail light assembly.

Since I took the pictures, I wrapped the wire with fabric tape (brand Tesa).

There is also a description on this board on how to use all of the factory harness. I just decided to run my own wire.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Running wires and finding out which wire to splice into took some time on the first Roxor. When I wired my second Eoxor this spring, it took less than 2 hours (including wrapping the wires with fabric tape and zip-tying the out of the way).
If you buy a kit that just plugs into the facrory harness, it probably takes a little less.