ooooooooooo

FLAT TOWING QUESTION / OBSERVATION...

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Ok. So I get the warn hubs installed and test tow per the latest and greatest Mahindra recommendations. Hubs unlocked, Transfer case in Neutral, Transmission in 1st gear. I crawl under and can turn front drive shaft which means hubs are working. Cool! I tow, Front drive shaft still turns as well as rear drive shaft? Rear diff and front diff get warm. Transfer case not as warm. Drive all around in 2 high with hubs unlocked, front diff stone cold. WTF??? LOL......

So if trans is in neutral front diff doesn't turn with rear??? So why do I need the hubs if everything turns anyway???

BDRAG

Last edited:

KLaHa

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
BD, I am with you. Why do we need the hubs if tranny and case are in neutral?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
I get the hubs if it saves wear and tear. It does in 2 wheel drive. The roxor turns a tad bit sharper as well, but they won't save the ring, pinion, or axle bearing? But hay, it keeps us in warranty?

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Transmission should be in first gear to tie it to the engine so it doesn't turn at all, not neutral.

Yes, correct, first gear. That's what I wrote:):)

BDRAG

Last edited:

KLaHa

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
All right getting this nailed down ... and appreciate the comments btw, so which Warn Hub # do I order for the Roxor?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
I got it dyslexic the last time. LOL. 29062. ( 71 BACK JEEP CJ )

BDRAG

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #

Roxor886

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Ok. So I get the warn hubs installed and test tow per the latest and greatest Mahindra recommendations. Hubs unlocked, Transfer case in Neutral, Transmission in 1st gear. I crawl under and can turn front drive shaft which means hubs are working. Cool! I tow, Front drive shaft still turns as well as rear drive shaft? Rear diff and front diff get warm. Transfer case not as warm. Drive all around in 2 high with hubs unlocked, front diff stone cold. WTF??? LOL......

So if trans is in neutral front diff doesn't turn with rear??? So why do I need the hubs if everything turns anyway???

BDRAG
Did you ever figure anything out? I too am experiencing the same thing. First gear transmission, neutral transfer case both drive shafts turn?

Pdphilson

Guaminí, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #

BDRAG
These Roxors are old school
Put the trans and transfer case in neutral

People are use to later model dodge etc. That need a different configuration on towing

B

Bister

These Roxors are old school
Put the trans and transfer case in neutral

People are use to later model dodge etc. That need a different configuration on towing

Transmission goes in FIRST gear, not neutral, as mentioned a couple times above. Transfer case stays in NEUTRAL.

Roxor886

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Transmission goes in FIRST gear, not neutral, as mentioned a couple times above. Transfer case stays in NEUTRAL.
If I do this

With the transmission in first gear, and the transfer case in neutral the front drive shaft still spins with the hubs unlocked? I have it up on 4 jack stands to verify all of this. Help me understand please.....

Roxor886

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
the only way I can stop the front drive shaft from spinning is to have transmission in nuetral and transfer case in 2 wheel drive.

B

Bister

The recommendation in the manual is first gear for the transmission, I believe this is to prevent the transmission from spinning since it is locked to the engine, and neutral for the transfer case. If I was towing, I would follow this. I'm not quiet sure what you are explaining or doing. I will leave it up to folks more knowledgeable than me on this subject to reply to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
If I do this

With the transmission in first gear, and the transfer case in neutral the front drive shaft still spins with the hubs unlocked? I have it up on 4 jack stands to verify all of this. Help me understand please.....

Well, I have seen and read the Roxor Factory Flat Towing update my dealer got. It does state to put Transfer Case in Neutral, Transmission in 1st Gear. So I will do this. It seems crazy but I am new to this as well. One person told me, I can't remember who, The transmission in first is to keep transmission from spinning from transfer case gears that may still spin even in neutral. If your spinning the tail shaft to the transmission it may not be receiving any trans fluid flung on it? I'll do what the factory recommends. LOL.
BDRAG

Roxor886

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Well, I have seen and read the Roxor Factory Flat Towing update my dealer got. It does state to put Transfer Case in Neutral, Transmission in 1st Gear. So I will do this. It seems crazy but I am new to this as well. One person told me, I can't remember who, The transmission in first is to keep transmission from spinning from transfer case gears that may still spin even in neutral. If your spinning the tail shaft to the transmission it may not be receiving any trans fluid flung on it? I'll do what the factory recommends. LOL.
BDRAG
Thank you both! Still clear as mud but I guess factory wants it this way for a reason. For myself personally I will disconnect the rear shaft on longer trips to be safe.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
Thank you both! Still clear as mud but I guess factory wants it this way for a reason. For myself personally I will disconnect the rear shaft on longer trips to be safe.

I only tow short distances at this point. Less than 100 miles. I drag it to a few local car events and such. If I drag it to the property I trailer it.

If I was to flat tow for any distance I would also do as you stated, remove shaft.

BDRAG

Roxor94

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I flat towed my Roxor yesterday to see how it pulled. No issues except the rear axle seemed very hot. I went about 6 miles with half of that at 55 mph. Transfer in neutral and transmission in first gear like the manual states. I do have warn hubs on the front.

Is this normal for the rear axle to be so hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk