ooooooooooo

Flat and or Dolly Towing

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have asked if with the addition of Warn Locking Hubs, and of course all transmissions in the neutral position will we be able to flat or dolly tow. I was told they expect so but engineers haven’t tested yet and no official statement. I look forward to the answer.

HTW

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Let me know what you find out about flat towing. I used to flat tow my 64 Willys CJ5. If I remember correctly I would unlock the front hubs put the transmission in 1st gear and transmission in neutral. That old Jeep has a Dana 18 Transfer case and being that the Roxor's transfer case is based off of it I would think it would work?

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I will keep you posted. Like I said they were not going to make any statement until they engineered it out. I’ll. Be trailering as needed in the mean time.

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I picked up my WARN hubs and hitch assembly from my Performance Sports folks here in Seneca Saturday afternoon. I have an appointment Tuesday to have both installed by Clemson 4wheel drive. Installation of both above my mechanical ability. I will resubmit the flat tow/ dolly tow question and advise. Again when I asked the Mahindra rep he said they had not engineered it out yet and advise.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Unlock the front hubs and disconnect the rear DS from the axle yoke and zip-tie it up to something. If you guys don't have front Warns (or any other lockable setup) yet, disconnect both driveshafts. It does not take long and WELL worth the hassle.

There are no FF kits out *yet* for the rear axle where rear Warns are, or can be, used. Once there are, we can just unlock all 4 and tow at will.

Bear

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Unlock the front hubs and disconnect the rear DS from the axle yoke and zip-tie it up to something. If you guys don't have front Warns (or any other lockable setup) yet, disconnect both driveshafts. It does not take long and WELL worth the hassle.

There are no FF kits out *yet* for the rear axle where rear Warns are, or can be, used. Once there are, we can just unlock all 4 and tow at will.
I have a demco car caddy so taking the rear driveshaft out will be a simple tow. Thanks.

1930modelA

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
On a cj3 or 5 with a Dana 18 I think you would put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in neutral. That way the front and rear axles turn but not the engine, transmission or transfer case. The drive shafts will be turning.

If you have front lockouts, then you unlock them and the front axle and shaft does not turn. The rear axle does and the rear drive shaft.

Either way, all Should be well. Just like you were coasting down a hill.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
On a cj3 or 5 with a Dana 18 I think you would put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in neutral. That way the front and rear axles turn but not the engine, transmission or transfer case. The drive shafts will be turning.

If you have front lockouts, then you unlock them and the front axle and shaft does not turn. The rear axle does and the rear drive shaft.

Either way, all Should be well. Just like you were coasting down a hill.

You can run into bearing issues with things not getting oiled when you do that. Always safest to either use lockouts or disconnect the driveshaft.

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any off the shelf way to add rear lockers as well to the Roxor to speed/simplify the flat towing process like people do with the old CJ?

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You can run into bearing issues with things not getting oiled when you do that. Always safest to either use lockouts or disconnect the driveshaft.
How would they not be oiled though? The ring and pinion are in an oil bath. What am I missing?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Any off the shelf way to add rear lockers as well to the Roxor to speed/simplify the flat towing process like people do with the old CJ?

There are FullFloat kits for the Willys. I expect the same style kits to come out for the Roxor.

How would they not be oiled though? The ring and pinion are in an oil bath. What am I missing?

I was talking about the tcase/trans. The axles are fine.

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
IMG_20180824_160019.jpg
Flat towed from Phoenix up the hill to Prescott. No issues. Installed the tower bar in the dealership parking lot. Used one of the bumper bolts and drilled a second. Tow bar was $60 on Amazon and I also got a set of tow lights for the trip home.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
jdlee, What gear did you have the transfer case? what gear did you have transmission? im hearing both in neutral, but im also hearing transfer case in neutral, transmission in 1st? what did you do?

Ps: im not car savy so people are reffering to disconnecting drive shafts, front/rear lockouts, locking hubs, im not sure about or how to do that, what did you do?
thanks.

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
N and N
jdlee, What gear did you have the transfer case? what gear did you have transmission? im hearing both in neutral, but im also hearing transfer case in neutral, transmission in 1st? what did you do?

Ps: im not car savy so people are reffering to disconnecting drive shafts, front/rear lockouts, locking hubs, im not sure about or how to do that, what did you do?
thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

thanks.

I would still disconnect the rear drive-shaft and ziptie it out of the way. Do the same on the front if you don't have WARNs. There is prolly a good video about this on YouTube. The process for a 41-71 Jeep is identical to us.

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would still disconnect the rear drive-shaft and ziptie it out of the way. Do the same on the front if you don't have WARNs. There is prolly a good video about this on YouTube. The process for a 41-71 Jeep is identical to us.
I dont know if I have WARNS, I know the winch is WARN brand?. I will definately have to youtube how to disconnect the front and rear drive shaft. Thank you.

General

Founding Member
I dont know if I have WARNS, I know the winch is WARN brand?. I will definately have to youtube how to disconnect the front and rear drive shaft. Thank you.
jrobz23 is talking about Warn Locking Hubs, not the Warn Wench. Locking hubs don't come standard on Roxors, but many people add them on after purchase. Disconnecting drive shafts in this machine is very simple, just loosening about 5 bolts which are easy to get to and all next to each other.