ooooooooooo

First oil change (Need advise)

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hey guys, I am about to do my first oil change after the break-in period (300 miles) and was at Costco picking some stuff up so I decided to look at their oil selection they did not have the recommended 5W40 full synthetic but they did have diesel specific 15W40. This case of oil was $30 after a $10 off rebate at the register.

I am a noob when it comes to diesel engines so I am interested in what you guys think. Thanks!
IMG_20180917_134302.jpg

Bdwelder_99

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Prob best to use the recommended oil. 5w40. API CJ-4 certified. For warrantee sake. After that is expired. And if your in a southern climate. I would have no prob running that oil.

BradsRoxor

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That oil is OK to use in the summer.
The reason they spec 5W40 is for ease of starting in cold weather.
I would recommend Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is a great oil! That’s what I’m using.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That oil is OK to use in the summer.
The reason they spec 5W40 is for ease of starting in cold weather.
I would recommend Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is a great oil! That’s what I’m using.
Same! Rotella has probable seen more disel rigs past the million mile mark than any other oil.

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks for the input guys! I will head to the fleet shop tomorrow to get some 5W40.

RidgeRunner

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
OEM oil and filter here, why chance it? I once worked at a Honda motorcycle dealership. A guy came in with a brand new Goldwing, in order to save $3 on an oil filter he bought a similar-looking filter from the Honda car dealership. The inside of the filter, not designed to see the high oil temps of a motorcycle, quickly melted and did massive amount$ of damage. American Honda denied the warranty claim.

Down East

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Hey guys, I am about to do my first oil change after the break-in period (300 miles) and was at Costco picking some stuff up so I decided to look at their oil selection they did not have the recommended 5W40 full synthetic but they did have diesel specific 15W40. This case of oil was $30 after a $10 off rebate at the register.

I am a noob when it comes to diesel engines so I am interested in what you guys think. Thanks! View attachment 1261

I’ll buy dealer recommended oil until warranty expires. No excuses for so few $.

Day Radebaugh

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Anyone out there figure out how to fill the oil in the valve cover opening without slobbering oil all over the engine? That was a pretty weird experience--you stick in the funnel, dump the oil in, and it's all over the place. I'll add another hour to the time I set aside for the next oil change.

TheFurnace

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Anyone out there figure out how to fill the oil in the valve cover opening without slobbering oil all over the engine? That was a pretty weird experience--you stick in the funnel, dump the oil in, and it's all over the place. I'll add another hour to the time I set aside for the next oil

Good info in the video...works extremely well

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
i run rotella in all my tractors and dump truck. but in my dodge and roxor i run the Cummings recommended Valvoline maximum blue 5w40.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anyone out there figure out how to fill the oil in the valve cover opening without slobbering oil all over the engine? That was a pretty weird experience--you stick in the funnel, dump the oil in, and it's all over the place. I'll add another hour to the time I set aside for the next oil change.
Yes, pop open the dip stick, it will help let the air escape

Last edited:
B

Bister

I think Shell rotella Is what’s supplied in Roxor service boxes for oil
It's not Rotella T, I remember reading woh they partnered up with. I see if I can find it. I use Rotella T6 in mine. Catch it on sale towards year end and watch for the rebate direct from Shell on their website and stock up. You can get it pretty cheap.

MAGAHAWK

you need to pull the dipstick out before filling the valve cover in order to allow the crank case to vent

B

Bister

Thanks Bister. There we go, hotshots is oem. I’ll still be using t6
As long as it meets OEM specs, we are all good. And just about any diesel oil out there should meet specs no a days. T6 for me to.