ooooooooooo

Factory Heater/defrost modes to get the most out of it.

B

Bister

As most know I have the factory heater and defrost. I like them, but the heater was noisy being only one speed, so I fixed that with an $8 switch from universalpartsinc.com and I added another bottom 3" vent (also from Universal Parts), added 2 permanent 1.25 holes on the bottom and expanded the defrost. I also recommend adding foam along the bottom of your windshield, this is a must in winter. I like the simplicity of the defrost kit and not having to cut up my dash and run vent tubing and mount defrost vents, but I feel it needed a few modifications to get the most out of the defrost kit and the factory heater. It's much better now, I have my full heat back and not restricted. The 3 speed switch was the best money spent.

This video is a bit longer than my "The 60 Second Roxor" videos I do, but I couldn't fit it in in 60 seconds. lol. Hope this helps a few fellow 'Roxorians' (geez, that sounds like something from StarTrek) and you are not bored to death.

Last edited by a moderator:

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As most know I have the factory heater and defrost. I like them, but the heater was noisy being only one speed, so I fixed that with an $8 switch from universalpartsinc.com and I added another bottom 3" vent (also from Universal Parts), added 2 permanent 1.25 holes on the bottom and expanded the defrost. I also recommend adding foam along the bottom of your windshield, this is a must in winter. I like the simplicity of the defrost kit and not having to cut up my dash and run vent tubing and mount defrost vents, but I feel it needed a few modifications to get the most out of the defrost kit and the factory heater. It's much better now, I have my full heat back and not restricted. The 3 speed switch was the best money spent.

This video is a bit longer than my "The 60 Second Roxor" videos I do, but I couldn't fit it in in 60 seconds. lol. Hope this helps a few fellow 'Roxorians' (geez, that sounds like something from StarTrek) and you are not bored to death.

This is a Bister inspired mod to the Roxor OEM defrost kit. I purchased a set of 4 swiveling vents from this eBay vendor:

4Pcs Adjustable RV Trailer Yacht Side Roof Round Air Vent Ventilation Outlet | eBay

After trimming the tubes to within an 1/8 inch of the threads, I was able to cut 4 holes in the body of the defrost unit. The gray ones I mounted in the back, while the two black ones were mounted in the vertical column. While I was able to use the nuts on the back vents, (with a bit of trimming) there was no way to mount the nuts behind the front vents, so I made the holes a close fit and used RTV to seal them in. 2 5/16 inches would be about perfect, but I only had a 2 1/4 inch hole saw, so it was that and some dremel work to make them fit. I also cut a slot as Bister suggested in the defrost vent. I'll post again once I have installed this and can report on how it works.

Doug

IMG_2004.JPGIMG_2005.JPGIMG_2006.JPG IMG_2007.JPG

B

Bister

This is a Bister inspired mod to the Roxor OEM defrost kit. I purchased a set of 4 swiveling vents from this eBay vendor:

4Pcs Adjustable RV Trailer Yacht Side Roof Round Air Vent Ventilation Outlet | eBay

After trimming the tubes to within an 1/8 inch of the threads, I was able to cut 4 holes in the body of the defrost unit. The gray ones I mounted in the back, while the two black ones were mounted in the vertical column. While I was able to use the nuts on the back vents, (with a bit of trimming) there was no way to mount the nuts behind the front vents, so I made the holes a close fit and used RTV to seal them in. 2 5/16 inches would be about perfect, but I only had a 2 1/4 inch hole saw, so it was that and some dremel work to make them fit. I also cut a slot as Bister suggested in the defrost vent. I'll post again once I have installed this and can report on how it works.

Doug

View attachment 5506View attachment 5507View attachment 5508View attachment 5509

Sweet. That will open it up nice and give you your air flow back, and being able to still close off the bottom like the original design will keep your good flow out the front/top. Nice. Thanks for sharing.

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Sweet. That will open it up nice and give you your air flow back, and being able to still close off the bottom like the original design will keep your good flow out the front/top. Nice. Thanks for sharing.

I was able to install the defrost kit yesterday. Temperatures in the 40's so no frost to remove, but I took a few readings with a pocket anemometer made by Extech. After a warm up and run around the property, all vents except the new front facing vents were throwing out air at 125+ degrees F. The two front vents showed 89 degrees. Also, the air speed was about 1/2 to 2/3 that of the other lower vents. This makes sense, since there is no scoop to direct air out, just whatever gets caught as the main stream rushes up to the defrost. Still better than nothing. The defrost vents ran to 120 degrees and only about half the wind speed, but this last was probably due to the difficulty in getting the anemometer to cover the air holes; they are long and thin, while the anemometer pickup is 1 1/4 inches in diameter.

I also tried different combinations of vents open and closed to gauge their effect on each other. Opening a second vent did not seem to reduce the airflow or temperature. Opening two bottom vents and one front vent caused a reduction in air flow from the front vent, but the same temperature. Since the front vents are only siliconed in, I could try to take them out and find a way to scoop some air into them, but that is for far down the road. For now, I am satisfied.

DLR

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I noticed your manual wipers. I need to add them. Can you let me know what you ordered (item number and site)? I bought some that didn't seen to fit my folding windshield.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I put in wipers similar to Bister's. What part did not fit correctly? With mine, the blades were too big; I ended up ordering 12 inch blades to fit my windshield, which is a one off creation. My windshield came with preexisting holes, which are in different locations from Bister's.

Doug

B

Bister

I noticed your manual wipers. I need to add them. Can you let me know what you ordered (item number and site)? I bought some that didn't seen to fit my folding windshield.
Thanks,
Jim
I think these ones would be the right size. My drivers one could be a bit farther to the right side by a couple inches. It's about 6" from the roll bar, 8" would be better to match up with the passenger one and give a fuller sweep. I can get a better measurement if you want. Mine had 16" blades and 14" works better. Mine came on a slow boat from China and we had to cut them down. The arms were too long. This is the arm length you need I think.
UTV Manual Hand Operated Windshield Wiper for Polaris Ranger, RZR, Kawasaki MULE | eBay

B

Bister

I was able to install the defrost kit yesterday. Temperatures in the 40's so no frost to remove, but I took a few readings with a pocket anemometer made by Extech. After a warm up and run around the property, all vents except the new front facing vents were throwing out air at 125+ degrees F. The two front vents showed 89 degrees. Also, the air speed was about 1/2 to 2/3 that of the other lower vents. This makes sense, since there is no scoop to direct air out, just whatever gets caught as the main stream rushes up to the defrost. Still better than nothing. The defrost vents ran to 120 degrees and only about half the wind speed, but this last was probably due to the difficulty in getting the anemometer to cover the air holes; they are long and thin, while the anemometer pickup is 1 1/4 inches in diameter.

I also tried different combinations of vents open and closed to gauge their effect on each other. Opening a second vent did not seem to reduce the airflow or temperature. Opening two bottom vents and one front vent caused a reduction in air flow from the front vent, but the same temperature. Since the front vents are only siliconed in, I could try to take them out and find a way to scoop some air into them, but that is for far down the road. For now, I am satisfied.

I found the best way to check the air temp is a cooking thermometer stuck in the vent. Mine is always around 180ºF or higher. I leave everything open unless I need a bit more on top to clear the windshield and that only fogs up if the dog and I are both in there after a good 4-5 mile walk on a cold day of -20ºF or lower and the Roxor is cold when we get back and we are both puffing or panting. lol

8731A3A4-8507-4B95-A443-6F6E89038563.jpeg

B

Bister

Here’s how my wipers line up. This is why I would move my drivers side in a bit. At least 2” more. It’s at about 7.5” from the inside of the ROP now. It would give a full sweep and I would be looking through the highest part of the wiper arc. Now that arc is off to my left. Also my wipers would meet better.

88D490FE-306E-4040-9110-1A57065C45A0.jpeg7EA9E4D0-027C-412F-95A5-D17D65DEA7D7.jpeg51678A23-112E-4ABE-B19A-10532FA68BBD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bister

Bister and Doug,
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered recommended wipers on ebay today. I appreciate all of the members who keep the info on mods flowing. Well, today it's 55 degrees in Pittsburgh. I'm going for a ride in my Roxor!!!
Jim
You're welcome. It's 16ºF here and we are going to ride tubes and snowboards. lol
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 11.29.46 AM.pngEB5572D1-6910-4768-84D3-3035E306A105.jpeg

B

Bister

What a creative use for an old Craftsman tractor. I bet the Sears people never thought of a PTO ski/tube lift for their tractors! Clever engineering on your part. My Craftsman GT5000 sits ready to plow snow without a mower deck. I now use a Toro Zero turn for grass cutting duty. Keep up the great mods. They have to put a smile on people's faces.
Jim

Thanks. The Roxor was pulling full tow/hill maintenance duties today from some minor grooming to getting more gas for the tractor.

3663B7D0-F0C3-490C-A015-1E1B57E71D7A.jpeg 91DCEDFC-AF53-4E7D-9501-F6D6B28E7956.jpeg 8BCC24A5-3D31-46C0-9006-5FC986CCDA65.jpeg

Reactions: DLR

Skymarc

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Got the vintage OTR heater installed in my Red Roxor. Did not bother to install the small defrosters as it wouldnt work here.

Found this Cj2 duct, just got it and hope it fits but its gonna be sweet...

8A0D7858-B6EB-430B-BF20-3241349A6937.jpeg
B0A2EE44-9878-4273-9B0F-D5BF618A214C.jpeg
8A0D7858-B6EB-430B-BF20-3241349A6937.jpeg

8A0D7858-B6EB-430B-BF20-3241349A6937.jpeg B0A2EE44-9878-4273-9B0F-D5BF618A214C.jpeg