ooooooooooo

Excited ref Roxor, searching for Info

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have yet to buy a rock sore but I’m definitely seriously interested. I took a test drive on a 2019 and was told there was no way someone could get a hold of a 2020. Now I am doing research to try to figure out and compare as a good comparison shopper would do, the different models and options I would like to have on Mine. also hoping to find out whether or not it’s worth waiting for the 2021 model year. It is not a dealbreaker, but I am heavily interested in having tracks for winter use but do not want to pay $17,000 for the privilege. Does anyone know if anyone other than Matt-tracks has something in the works?

mickeybobs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
2020s have a 5.38 axle ratio ...2019s have 3.75 ...If your gona use mostly for the street 2019 is the way to go .....,only rock crawling then the 2020 ....I believe these 2 will greater resale value than weird looking 2021s. 19s and 20s look like a cj 7 ....2021 look like a vacume cleaner . i have a 2019 with automatic ...street and dirt roads for me .

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
thank you so very much. That was all very useful information which I did not have. If I do use the 2020 on roads that won’t be a problem either correct?

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It’s gonna be quite the hunt for a new Roxor currently. Between the lawsuit and covid the inventory levels of the 20s are extremely low and none being built to replace them until the 21s come out and there is no timeline on when that will happen. Used might be just as good if not a better option for finding what you want. Facebook groups tend to have a few listings a month in them for sale. Either way expect to travel or pay to have the right one shipped.

in regards to the tracks I know tracks are expensive. Not sure if your just looking at mahindras track option but I’d suggest you to ditch them as an option as they seem to overprice a lot of their products compared to the same identical product elsewhere. some things are inflated and others are inline with aftermarket pricing found in other places. They key is to shop around. And some dealers have been known to sell at above msrp. The Roxor is a 5x5.5 wheel bolt pattern. Be sure you have a big enough hub hole. Not sure the exact size needed, I think it’s 107mm But don’t quote me on that. Any wheel that will fit a CJ Jeep will fit the Roxor. This means you can source your tracks from other places and possibly save money and/or shipping lead times. Possibly even shipping if the place is local And I’m sure shipping isn’t cheap on a set of tracks.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It’s gonna be quite the hunt for a new Roxor currently. Between the lawsuit and covid the inventory levels of the 20s are extremely low and none being built to replace them until the 21s come out and there is no timeline on when that will happen. Used might be just as good if not a better option for finding what you want. Facebook groups tend to have a few listings a month in them for sale. Either way expect to travel or pay to have the right one shipped.

in regards to the tracks I know tracks are expensive. Not sure if your just looking at mahindras track option but I’d suggest you to ditch them as an option as they seem to overprice a lot of their products compared to the same identical product elsewhere. some things are inflated and others are inline with aftermarket pricing found in other places. They key is to shop around. And some dealers have been known to sell at above msrp. The Roxor is a 5x5.5 wheel bolt pattern. Be sure you have a big enough hub hole. Not sure the exact size needed, I think it’s 107mm But don’t quote me on that. Any wheel that will fit a CJ Jeep will fit the Roxor. This means you can source your tracks from other places and possibly save money and/or shipping lead times. Possibly even shipping if the place is local And I’m sure shipping isn’t cheap on a set of tracks.

I will be extra careful regarding the hub hole so much thanks for that one. The 17000 dollar option for MATT=Tracks is a definite no go for me. I am familiar with their product and it is most definitely the finest set of tracks out there but only government organizations usually buy them because they don't really have to earn the funding - just justify the expense as "mission essential" etc.Since responding to Mickeybobs, I have come across a 2020 for the base price of 17799 its an automatic and so my wife is relieved they didn't have a standard. She will only be driving it if I have a medical emergency so I think I should just bite the bullett on that one. I have added a great deal of options and got it up to $25004. Having a cabin it Utah makes the purchase a great deal more useful because I can make it street legal. I will be looking for alternatives for tracks if possible. Its still a great vehicle with no tracks for my needs. Want to drive the Paiute Trail - then the Arapeen Trail and get in as much of the Great Southwest Trail as I can before my body wears out. Thanks again for any and all information.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That looks awesome and I will need to find out about the NordTracks and see if I have to do anything special to put them on my forthcoming machine - Thanks so much although I should probably wait a little to see if I have to remortgage my home to buy a set.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You could do a 12" lift and run tracks around the tires on each side. Rework the brake plumbing with some cut brakes and lock the steering... I wouldn't do it, but it would work with open diffs probably really well.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I am also interested in the model but have an additional question for the wise ones of team Roxor. I have asked for a quote from a dealer for a 2020 and included the Warn Hubs at their suggestion. They made it sound like I had to have them installed to attain 4x4 capability. I noticed on one of the responses that I cannot have the tracks on the vehicle if I have warn hubs? I guess I also need to learn what lockers are and lunchboxes are as well. I really don’t want to screw up this order as it’s from a different state and getting things correctly will require me to go a fairly good distance. Sorry to be such a newbie! I plan to study this website and try to learn those things but any pointers will always be appreciated.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am also interested in the model but have an additional question for the wise ones of team Roxor. I have asked for a quote from a dealer for a 2020 and included the Warn Hubs at their suggestion. They made it sound like I had to have them installed to attain 4x4 capability. I noticed on one of the responses that I cannot have the tracks on the vehicle if I have warn hubs? I guess I also need to learn what lockers are and lunchboxes are as well. I really don’t want to screw up this order as it’s from a different state and getting things correctly will require me to go a fairly good distance. Sorry to be such a newbie! I plan to study this website and try to learn those things but any pointers will always be appreciated.
That is incorrect. You need the locking hubs to disconnect the wheels from the driveline. Not necessary at all, just helps with fuel economy and steering.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Skip the hub lockers, if you really think you need them get them later.

The only way I can see someone needing them is if you throw a lunchbox up front, then you can unlock and still be able to turn properly. A lot of folks here are fansof rear only lunchbox, I'm not sold I think front lunchbox with manual hubs is better.

You can do a ton of gnarly wheeling with open diffs. If you want to climb rocks the size of a house, you need lockers. If you're willing to roll your rig and possibly completely wreck it, lockers are necessary. If not, you'll likely do just fine with open diffs.

I've gotten myself into sketchy spots and gotten out with open diffs. Winch is infinitely more useful for getting out of a spot than lockers. Lockers will get you into trouble if you let them.

Don't be like be, don't wheel alone

B

Bister

I believe the tracks the Roxor sells won't fit over the warn hub if I remember correctly, also they don't want you to have a locker in the front. An OX might be ok if you leave it disengaged when you have the tracks on. I think most of that is listed in the fine print on Roxor's accessory page....or it use to be.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Perhaps the reason the dealer put me onto Warren hubs is because I told them I wanted to be able to use the towbar and drag this behind my canyon diesel truck. I have a trailer but I just wanted that capability. I’ve been going online trying to find out what a lunchbox is and lockers etc but the jargon sites aren’t helpful.

i guess I’m not wasting money by having the Warn hubs come on my upcoming Roxor, I guess I may have to “remove them” and have some combination of lunchboxes and or lockers to put on tracks in the future????

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I believe the tracks the Roxor sells won't fit over the warn hub if I remember correctly, also they don't want you to have a locker in the front. An OX might be ok if you leave it disengaged when you have the tracks on. I think most of that is listed in the fine print on Roxor's accessory page....or it use to be.
Does your post apply to the Roxor option (Matt-Tracks) or also to the NordTracks version?

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Perhaps the reason the dealer put me onto Warren hubs is because I told them I wanted to be able to use the towbar and drag this behind my canyon diesel truck. I have a trailer but I just wanted that capability. I’ve been going online trying to find out what a lunchbox is and lockers etc but the jargon sites aren’t helpful.

i guess I’m not wasting money by having the Warn hubs come on my upcoming Roxor, I guess I may have to “remove them” and have some combination of lunchboxes and or lockers to put on tracks in the future????
If you know what a locked diff is vs an open diff:
The "ox" locker is selectable and a good deal more expensive. You can have open diffs until you need them locked. The advantage here is you flip a switch to gain traction and you flip the switch back off to get your turning radius back. Turning the lockers off, going back to open diff, prevents the driveline from binding while making turns.

Lunchbox is a passive device, much easier to install, much cheaper overall.
The lunchbox locks the diff when torque is applied to the driveline, when you hit the accelerator. In order to make tight turns on pavement you must accelerate, get off the throttle, then coast through the turn. If you accelerate through the turn your rig will hop skip and bounce around because the wheels are all going the same speed.

In normal turning, the inner wheel is going slower than the outer wheel because it has less distance to travel, it makes a smaller circle. The open diff allows one side to slip (the side with more traction) and the other side gets all the power.

An open diff rig, with one front wheel off the ground and one rear wheel off the ground WILL NOT MOVE AN INCH.

A 2wd truck with three wheels on dry pavement and one rear wheel on ice, with open diffs, is stuck and will require assistance to move.

A selectable locker requires a new carrier, and a diff tech to set up proper lashing. Do it wrong and you're buying a new ring and pinion and paying for more labor. For reference, regearing my 4runner with nitro gears and adding ARB air lockers installed at nitro gears HQ in cashmere Washington cost me $10k.

Lunchbox probably would have been less than a grand, but I'd still have had to regear that rig(3.73:1 to 4.88:1)so I said screw it and paid up. It's also a highway star.

2020 roxor comes with 5.38:1 gear ratio. If I put a locker in it'll be a front lunchbox with manual hubs. Cheap and effective, still has good road manners in 2wd mode.

Bonus of manual front hubs is the ability to drive in 2wd LO.

Physicsdog

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I will try telling the dealer that instead of the Warn Lock Out Hubs I would like a Front Lunchbox with manual hubs and see if they can do that or have any suggestions. I will be riding 90% of the time on fairly well travelled trails here in Utah. Occasionally riding into Cedar City for groceries etc. VERY friendly to OHV's. We have a dirt road leading up to the cabin but it is graded a couple times each year, Washboards drive my wife crazy so I am looking to lower the pressure on the tires and maybe install Fox or Bilsteins to make her happier. 80% of my driving will be at 25 mph or below. 15% will be at 35 or less and the 5% will be on a dry lake bed (with no fast turns) at the VNE of the unit. These are my estimates given that is what I have done with my RZR and she (the DW) has not screamed yet.

Cloud

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Warn lock out are the manual hubs unless I'm mistaken