ooooooooooo

Diesel freak’s shocks ?

ToddBenson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I’m looking to replace my stock shocks because they suck so bad. But the bilstiens are so expensive. I was looking at the diesel freak website and noticed they had some replacements for the front and rear. But there wasn’t a name brand and do not have reviews on them. Has anyone installed these and if so how do you like them ? Thanks.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
I’m looking to replace my stock shocks because they suck so bad. But the bilstiens are so expensive. I was looking at the diesel freak website and noticed they had some replacements for the front and rear. But there wasn’t a name brand and do not have reviews on them. Has anyone installed these and if so how do you like them ? Thanks.

Do a search under shocks. There are several posts. KYB makes some for $77 a pair from shock warehouse. I went with Monroe's, big pain. Lol. I like them though. Maybe because I'm different and did my own thing. I also have a pair of shocks I can now try and return. Lol.

BDRAG

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Couple of weeks ago, I mounted the KYB (KG5473) shocks BDRAG mentions. Whole job took less than 45 minutes. Easiest install possible.

The stock shocks came right off the studs after I removed the nuts. Since the stock shocks are not under pressure and do not expand at all, I pulled them off without any tools.

Install of the KYBs was equally easy. I left the factory straps on the KYBs when I placed a (top or bottom) bushing partially on a stud. I cut the strap and quickly pushed the second bushing on the other stud as the shock expanded. While compressing the KYB shocks by hand, I worked the bushings all the way onto the studs.

For what I am using my Roxor, the KYBs make a difference compared to stock. At about $150 - $160 they are worth it.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just to make certain I order the right ones did you use the KYB (KG5473) shocks on all four wheels?

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
Couple of weeks ago, I mounted the KYB (KG5473) shocks BDRAG mentions. Whole job took less than 45 minutes. Easiest install possible.

The stock shocks came right off the studs after I removed the nuts. Since the stock shocks are not under pressure and do not expand at all, I pulled them off without any tools.

Install of the KYBs was equally easy. I left the factory straps on the KYBs when I placed a (top or bottom) bushing partially on a stud. I cut the strap and quickly pushed the second bushing on the other stud as the shock expanded. While compressing the KYB shocks by hand, I worked the bushings all the way onto the studs.

For what I am using my Roxor, the KYBs make a difference compared to stock. At about $150 - $160 they are worth it.

So AZROX, were the KYB shocks the same outside diamiter as the OEM shocks? Max A mentioned in my post about smacking the Brake Line banjo on the caliper. The picture he posted looks like OEM shock that's smashed. Lol. So as Max said, if you have adjusted the turn stops for better turning radius, check you clearances. He says I will probably be ok on mine that are 1/4 dia larger than the OEM's were. I don't plan on detaching the sway bar or doing any massive articulation like during rock crawling and have 3/4 clearance now from banjo full lock. I have never messed with the factory set turn bump stops.

BDRAG

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
First of all, I want to give credit to 928dennis for looking up the KYBs. Thanks for doing the research for us!

I use four KYB KG5473 shocks. Add a leaf in front. No changes at the rear.

Most of you spend time in rough terrain where shock length, sway bar disconnect, and brake hose length become an issue. That is well above and beyond of where I use my Roxor. Please keep this in mind as you read my posts.
I spend several weeks a year in an M1165 where I get my off raod kicks. Some of you know what im talkig about. ?

I was looking for shocks about 1.5" longer than stock (to match the add a leaf in the front). I drove my machine on roads for several months with stock shocks without an issue regarding length.
928dennis mentioned the KYB KG5473 lenghth in his post earlier this year. I found this to be the right lenght for my application.

The bushings slip right onto the studs. No messing around.

I will measure the KYB diameter later today and update my post.

Togo

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I haven’t done anything with my front end. Do you think these shocks would still work?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Togo: i dont know about running longer shocks with the stock suspension height. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Every owner may adjust their front steering stops differently. I figured I measurme the shocks rather than clearance between shock and closest component.
The KYB tube diamters are 1" 9/16 and 2" 1/16. Compared to the front shocks, that is within 1/16".

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
One last piece of information:
Front shock length eyelet to eyelet center collapsed 12" 1/2, extended 20" 3/4.
(The stock rear shocks are about 1/4" shorter than the front shocks).

b-pinkerton

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Just to make certain I order the right ones did you use the KYB (KG5473) shocks on all four wheels?
I would also like to know if I should order 4 - (KYB KG 5473) if I have not done any modifications to the front end. Or would I need different ones in the front and back? I have been looking through a lot of old conversations on here but it seems that most people have lifted or at least leveled their roxor. I am just looking for some shocks to be noticablly better than stock but not as expensive as the Bilsteins.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I did the OTR level lift springs and used the shocks that came with them. Noticed a ride improvement after install. Then this year I started driving in some rough pastures and noticed I bottomed out a lot. Or at least felt like it. Very sharp and abrupt spring movements. Noticed it on the road as well. Seems to have gotten worse after I put a tire carrier bumper with tire on. Suppose it was way too much weight for the already weak rear factory shocks to handle. I put those kyb kg 5473 on the rear. Only $33 from rock auto. Huge improvement. Very happy with the ride now. Parts of the pasture where I was 1st gear and practically riding the clutch over spots I’m now in 1st cruising at a decent rpm. 2nd is still to fast but just short of needing to shift is about the speed I can now maintain. Appreciate the input from ya’ll.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Love rockauto I got my KYBs from them as well. Been a customer of Rock for over 10 years. My 4 kybs made my rox great.