ooooooooooo

CJ7 windshield

General

Founding Member
Hi Team Roxor, this is our 1,000th thread! Congratulations, and thank you for taking this journey with me!

I remember the first time I saw the Roxor advertised about a year ago. Before it even went into production, I asked myself, "How hard would it be to get a Jeep CJ7 windshield frame onto a Roxor body?" This was the one modification I knew I needed to make the project a success. Maybe you can see why. This was my hardest Roxor modification, but the most important to me. Here's what I did:

20190311_142140.jpg 20190311_142219.jpg

Parts list and prices (around $700 total):
windshield frame $150, Crown J5758971
windshield hinges $103, Smittybilt 7403
wiper motor cover $40, Kentrol 30459
interior windshield brackets $18, Smittybilt 7408
cowl frame weatherstrip seal $20, Fairchild 5453950
wiper plug pivot covers $7, Omix-ADA 13318.02
mirror 3" round $7, Grote 12004-5
windshield glass & install $167, Safelite glass shop (includes gasket)
paint $200, local Maaco body shop

Notes:
The mounting holes don't align. Jeep parts use standard/American diameter and thread pitch, and Mahindra parts use metric. The lowest hinge holes aren't even close to fitting, so I left them out. More than half of the other holes in the hinge and wiper motor plate needed to be elongated with a side-mill bit. I did it with a small drill press, but a true machinist mill would be easier, and a hand drill honestly won't be precise enough. Loc-tite everything! Don't save a dollar by installing the glass yourself. These parts are all easily available. Windshield frames from Omix-ADA and Crown are equally poor quality, but OEM CJ7 are hard to find and are likely rusty. CJ7 wipers suck compared to other Roxor windshields' wipers, but I don't care about wipers. Color match wasn't good on the hinges and windshield frame--make sure your paint shop shows you a sample before you install it in the dark! Buy stainless steel everything, because it's cheaper than repairing rust later. I like the minimalistic mirror, but there are many options which install on the front of the windshield hinges.

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You didn't wanna use a 75- CJ windshield?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've been looking and trying to see what mods you did to the hinges. If you did any, you hid em well.

General

Founding Member
I used an aftermarket CJ7 (1976-1986) windshield frame and hinges, elongated the holes (made them slots/ovals) for alignment, and cut off the door hinge tabs. The CJ7 hinges also fit Jeep Wrangler YJ 1986-1995.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That setup looks really good!

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
hey general if you want to close up some more of the openings to the windshield there are defrost ducts for the CJ-7 windshield. I would seal the duct openings from the inside to create a weatherproof seal.
020F664D-97D5-41F7-8A69-8D2B3F9D0205.jpeg
E0D75C2A-755A-4267-ACA7-073F6B2CC2DF.jpeg

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Lookin good guys!

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Hi Team Roxor, this is our 1,000th thread! Congratulations, and thank you for taking this journey with me!

I remember the first time I saw the Roxor advertised about a year ago. Before it even went into production, I asked myself, "How hard would it be to get a Jeep CJ7 windshield frame onto a Roxor body?" This was the one modification I knew I needed to make the project a success. Maybe you can see why. This was my hardest Roxor modification, but the most important to me. Here's what I did:

View attachment 3282 View attachment 3283

Parts list and prices (around $700 total):
windshield frame $150, Crown J5758971
windshield hinges $103, Smittybilt 7403
wiper motor cover $40, Kentrol 30459
interior windshield brackets $18, Smittybilt 7408
cowl frame weatherstrip seal $20, Fairchild 5453950
wiper plug pivot covers $7, Omix-ADA 13318.02
mirror 3" round $7, Grote 12004-5
windshield glass & install $167, Safelite glass shop (includes gasket)
paint $200, local Maaco body shop

Notes:
The mounting holes don't align. Jeep parts use standard/American diameter and thread pitch, and Mahindra parts use metric. The lowest hinge holes aren't even close to fitting, so I left them out. More than half of the other holes in the hinge and wiper motor plate needed to be elongated with a side-mill bit. I did it with a small drill press, but a true machinist mill would be easier, and a hand drill honestly won't be precise enough. Loc-tite everything! Don't save a dollar by installing the glass yourself. These parts are all easily available. Windshield frames from Omix-ADA and Crown are equally poor quality, but OEM CJ7 are hard to find and are likely rusty. CJ7 wipers suck compared to other Roxor windshields' wipers, but I don't care about wipers. Color match wasn't good on the hinges and windshield frame--make sure your paint shop shows you a sample before you install it in the dark! Buy stainless steel everything, because it's cheaper than repairing rust later. I like the minimalistic mirror, but there are many options which install on the front of the windshield hinges.
Looks good, what kind of bikini tops are available to you now. Also, could I install that type of windshield and leave the factory roll cage in place or would I need to remove the front part?

General

Founding Member
With a CJ7 windshield frame, you can easily install Bestop's bikini top. It requires you drill a few holes into the frame to install their header channel ($20), which then attaches to the top ($60). Straps are adjustable to fit any "B" pillar, like mine (custom), OEM Roxor, or a transplanted CJ or YJ roll bar. Jeep 1980 CJ7 Traditional Bikini | Bestop

You can remove the side bars completely, or you can just chop off the front horizontal part, leaving the diagonal piece bolted to the main roll hoop, but there's no way to connect Roxor's top bars to a CJ windshield. If you want front protection, you'll need to make something custom, likely that comes down from the upper bars to the dash or even the floor. Google search "Jeep YJ roll cage" for some ideas. Most Jeep fabrication shops do this routinely, but it will cost you $500-$3,000 depending on complexity.