ooooooooooo

Cheap winch

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Picked up a used winch the other week. Got a warn x8000i that had a busted solenoid. Paid $250 for the winch and put another $100 in all new solenoids. The cable needs replacing still and the fairlead won’t bolt up to the OTR plate because of the angle it’s at. I found a low pro fairlead that looks like it will work. When I’m done I should have about $500 in this winch. Not bad for a warn.
e70fd07b8a9fed33a0b6a728cd4c4371.jpg

21ce6c30a3129ef2284fe7008d38c4b7.jpg

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I had the same problem with the fairlead and using cable! The angle of the OEM winch mount wouldn't allow it, so I went to a synthetic rope winch and the fairlead works perfect with that!

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
ca0d6f3d00809b9efa55578d602888f5.jpg

This is the Fairlead I’m thinking of going to. This should allow me to run cheaper cable otherwise it’s a new Fairlead and rope which will be about double the cost. My cable is useable but should be replaced soon. Baby steps in the winch addition. Much less painful on the wallet.

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That should work! If I remember correctly the ends of the outside rollers that are vertical is where it was hitting.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On second thought scratch that Fairlead idea. Bad reviews on it at Amazon. I knew the possibility of pinching on angled pulls was there but it looks to be very problematic when it happens and saw a couple of reviews along with pics that show the Fairlead breaking. Yes the roller breaks completely off. Well I’m the name of cheap I also found a steel Hawse style Fairlead for wire cable. Great reviews and only about $25. Looks like that is my next purchase.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Went ahead and went synthetic but on the cheap. Hopefully it won’t come back to bite me. Used a 20% coupon at harbor freight and bought 80’ of 3/8 line. The line was on sale for 109.99 and that sale expired yesterday. Had to go to a different store for a hook and noticed the new price is now 189.99 for the rope. It’s not rated near as high as the name brand ropes but it’s the same they use on a 12,000 lb winch. It’s rated to 16,000. That’s double my winch capacity so I should be good. Also picked up a fairlead and had a coupon for their new hook that was 10.99 vs 14.99. All together the new rope, hook and fairlead set me back about $145 after taxes. Had a $110 in prepaid debit cards from a tire rebate so I was only $35 out of pocket.

I miss quoted the original purchase price on the winch. I got it for $225. So I’m all in on a running warn winch for $360 out of pocket or $470 for the cost of everything to get it to this point.

Ragnar RoxHard

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I bought the 12k Badlands for $289 at Harbor freight

Eyellgeteven

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Picked up a used winch the other week. Got a warn x8000i that had a busted solenoid. Paid $250 for the winch and put another $100 in all new solenoids. The cable needs replacing still and the fairlead won’t bolt up to the OTR plate because of the angle it’s at. I found a low pro fairlead that looks like it will work. When I’m done I should have about $500 in this winch. Not bad for a warn. View attachment 6471
View attachment 6472
Just curious how you bolted the winch plate to the frame? Being that the frame is boxed, what did you use for nuts? I was thinking of using 3/8" rivnuts, but I'm wondering if they will be strong enough for a winch mount.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
You can get to it. I taped the nut to my open end wrench, then when I was done tightening it I just pulled the wrench from the tape. I just took the bumper off to get to it.

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I used whatever hardware OTR supplied with the winch plate. Use some electrical tape to help hold the nut on the open end of the wrench Tighten them up and then pull the wrench out when done. Start with inside bolt first then the outside one.

bordercollie

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've decided to get a Warn winch because of the long warranty and dependability. I've found them for between 620 and 700 . I have a heavy front bumper with the proper bolt pattern . Just waiting to see if a sale pops up at amazon where its been on sale before. This ice storm down here made me really need one. Thick ice for almost a week .
We had a calf fall through a shallow pond and with the narrow levee, I had to use the 4 whlr to retrieve her. she broke threw the ice right after this picture was taken and all that was up above the ice/water was her head, The bil crawled out and harnessed her head but the rope I took was too short. It came loose where I tired it too quickly so I belly crawled out there to retie it.. got her out alive but it was very close. It would have helped to have had a winch with a controllable speed .
WARN 103251 VR EVO 8-S Electric 12V DC Winch with Synthetic Rope: 3/8" Diameter x 90' Length, 4 Ton (8,000 lb) Pulling Capacity

calf on ice.jpg calf on bank.jpg

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I used whatever hardware OTR supplied with the winch plate. Use some electrical tape to help hold the nut on the open end of the wrench Tighten them up and then pull the wrench out when done. Start with inside bolt first then the outside one.
Exactly what I did.