ooooooooooo

Budget Friendly Cold Air Intake $32.00

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
After the shock we all experienced from learning the high cost of the new Roxor cab enclosure I thought everyone would enjoy reading a thread about how to build a nice cold air intake for cheap.

I wanted a cold air intake for my Roxor mainly to save money on filters. The Roxor air filter costs around 30 bucks and its a 2 hour round trip drive for me to get one. I cannot say with any certainty if this cold air intake improves performance, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and more convenient to clean this cone then buy a throw away filter from the dealer.

I looked around on eBay and I found this nice kit that is normally for a 1995-2005 Chevy Blazer. It came with the right bends and the filter cone was the right size.

Red Cold Air Intake System Kit&Filter For 1996-2005 Chevy Blazer 4.3L V6 | eBay

The total price was just 32 bucks and it only took me about 20 minutes to install. The unit does change the sound a bit too. Enjoy.......

image1 (26).jpeg

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice, cheaper than K&N
My son's and i have several turbo cars, from high performance to stock. With all the research we have done over the years, its not in anyones best intreats to use air filters that oil as part of there filtering ability. A turbo should not pull air with oil in it, hard on the turbo. So for those of us building intake systems i recommend using dry filters.

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
After the shock we all experienced from learning the high cost of the new Roxor cab enclosure I thought everyone would enjoy reading a thread about how to build a nice cold air intake for cheap.

I wanted a cold air intake for my Roxor mainly to save money on filters. The Roxor air filter costs around 30 bucks and its a 2 hour round trip drive for me to get one. I cannot say with any certainty if this cold air intake improves performance, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and more convenient to clean this cone then buy a throw away filter from the dealer.

I looked around on eBay and I found this nice kit that is normally for a 1995-2005 Chevy Blazer. It came with the right bends and the filter cone was the right size.

The total price was just 32 bucks and it only took me about 20 minutes to install. The unit does change the sound a bit too. Enjoy.......

View attachment 3530
Thank you for this!

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update: I've driven the roxor a couple hundred miles with the cold air intake. It does feel a little more powerful which is nice. However, the turbo is a lot louder now. If you like the sound of the turbo then great. As for me I'm going back and forth a little about keeping it. Like I said I like the idea of saving money on filters, but I'd like my rig to be quieter. FYI

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

View attachment 3530

Thanks for the idea
Your photo doesn't show the breather..
Did u plug it off or just route to different area since your intake shows now breather tube from valve cover cap like OEM

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
My son's and i have several turbo cars, from high performance to stock. With all the research we have done over the years, its not in anyones best intreats to use air filters that oil as part of there filtering ability. A turbo should not pull air with oil in it, hard on the turbo. So for those of us building intake systems i recommend using dry filters.

The crankcase ventilation is plumbed into the air inlet downstream the air filter. Modern diesels pretty much all use closed systems as well. Look at the turbo inlet on a Mercedes van and there is a puddle. Does not hurt a thing using an air filter requiring oil.

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Update: I've driven the roxor a couple hundred miles with the cold air intake. It does feel a little more powerful which is nice. However, the turbo is a lot louder now. If you like the sound of the turbo then great. As for me I'm going back and forth a little about keeping it. Like I said I like the idea of saving money on filters, but I'd like my rig to be quieter. FYI

Ok
I saw where ur breather was rerouted : )
My original intake has a vacuum from the fuel a few inches from where the breather tied in. So what did I do with that?
In ur engine bay pic I did not see the fuel vacuum line or all that mess to the left of ur intake from rhe turbo?

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It's the green part in the pic
But it looks like u removed all that extra
When I installed that same intake theres all that fuel junk there as in this photo

roxor engine resized (1).jpg Mahindra-Offorad-ROXOR-engine.jpg

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
It's the green part in the pic
But it looks like u removed all that extra
When I installed that same intake theres all that fuel junk there as in this photo

View attachment 3743View attachment 3744

My advice to you is get your egr removed first before you even think about a cold air intake. That egr is a really MPG killer and you'll thank me later. Contact vivid racing. They gave me a really nice deal on a stage 1 tune which included an egr delete. Then I paid about 25 bucks for the delete plates. I got rid of a lot of junk on the engine that way and my engine ran A LOT better. After you go through that process then think about a cold air intake.

Andydaniel1371

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Egr plates are coming for weeks through my dealer. Is that green part... fuel vacuum part of removing egr ?
TOTALLY get not pushing breather back to air box.
Thanks

MRJ4x4

Roxor #
With this being noted why not install an oil catch can? I hate that the PCV is Plumbed into the air intake pipe. It really does not sit well with me. Sure it won’t bother it right away but over time it can really shorten the life of the valves, and other parts getting gummed up from it. I’m leaning towards installing one. What would your thoughts be?

Haerterich

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On my cummins, 2006, that hose runs down the left side of the engine and is open to the air. The points is you are right really don't want that going back into the engine. I like the catch can idea.

Paulson

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
On my cummins, 2006, that hose runs down the left side of the engine and is open to the air. The points is you are right really don't want that going back into the engine. I like the catch can idea.
Same with all my Cummings trucks and tractors. Dump trucks and my cat semi. Nice thing about the roxor. It just runes the air filter. Some of my big rigs dump the crank ventilation after the filter. And that's not good.

2dutz2

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
A52AAAAAVJA001435 1435
I tried a cold air intake on my Roxor and went back to the Roxor original. I do not think they do a good job in dirty conditions. With over 50 years of diesel operation I Have always stuck with original filters and never had a problem. Would I put a Cool air on my newest John Deere -200 HP. tractor , YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING.

MaXXis85

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It will be more of a warm air intake. The open filter element will be pulling hotter ambient under hood temps into the turbocharger, especially on a non intercooled engine, I'm all for the stock induction airbox with a really good filter.
But I will say Kudos for making things happen when you have an idea. Things like this is what causes ideas to trigger to better things. If you had an intercooler to cool the intake air temp, Id say this is perfectly fine. I would add an additional filter sock to give one more layer from dust and particulates.

CJ2Rox

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I went this way on mine but didn't use the filter element that came with this kit. It let alot of dust into the tube and have no idea of the brand. I ended up buying a AFE bigger filter that does a far better job.

lcp

Has anyone looked into modifying a tractor air filter housing to fit our Roxors? Maybe one that used an easier to find filter with more surface area giving better flow and able to trap more dirt?