ooooooooooo

Biodiesel in Roxor

TnRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Anyone tried running biodiesel in there roxor, if so what is your experience?

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Great question!

Do you have access to biodiesel? I am curious because even if I wanted to run biodiesel, I would not know where to find it (at least in the two states I spend my time).

In Europe, biodiesel is standard as B20 (20% biodiesel) or even B80 (80% biodiesel).
Vehicles have recommendarions as to what mix to run. If its not recommended, the manual will say it, too. Whenever I had rental cars (in Europe) with a turbo diesel engine, they would have a B20 sticker at the fuel cap.

What advantage do you see from using biodiesel? Access to cheaper fuel?

Do you have experience with using biodiesel or making it?
I looked into making biodiesel about 20 years ago. When I saw what it would take (gathering the fryer grease from restaurants, heating and filtering it, mixing methanol, lye, do titrarion testing, boilng off the ethanol, filtering the parafin / wax / soap, etc). By the time I added up all the time required to build the system and later on making a batches of biodiesel, I went right back to the fuel pump.
I think, if one has a solid 2 days a month to make a 55 gallon drum (or two) of biodiesel, why not. As for me, spending a whole weekend on it is not worth it.

Because biodiesel is made with methanol, it can be really harsh if the ethanol is not cooked off. Its about like running a degreaser through the engine. I do trust an industrial process that has quality control. I woukd not trust my biodiesel cooking. I do not eant ro go with trial and error to see what works in any of my vehicles.

Colderweather86

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
All diesel fuel in the USA has 5% biodiesel in it, and fuel stations are not obligated to tell you. So you're already running it.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've manufactured biodiesel and even run waste vegitable oil system in diesel cars.

If you run B20 this is generally considered to be a premium grade fuel. It'll lubricate the injectors and pumps better. However the methanol in the fuel will eat right through rubber. So you'll have to replace any rubber fuel hoses with biodiesel rated fuel.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Campyman: Thanks for sharing the additional detail. I remember the rubber hose issue from reading through forums when I looked into biodiesel in about 2003-2004.
I have a mid-80s diesel tractor and thought running biodiesel in it after diesel went from low to ultra low sulfur in about 2003. I was not uo for changing hoses on the tractor at the time.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Campyman: Thanks for sharing the additional detail. I remember the rubber hose issue from reading through forums when I looked into biodiesel in about 2003-2004.
I have a mid-80s diesel tractor and thought running biodiesel in it after diesel went from low to ultra low sulfur in about 2003. I was not uo for changing hoses on the tractor at the time.

Well if you have a source for used vegetable oil you could make your own biodiesel for around a buck per gallon. But it's a lot of work. It got old for me. These days I just enjoy my solar array, and charge my electric van of the sun.

AZROX

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
@Campyman: the $1 a gallon got me interested in loking into biodiesel back in 2003 - 2004. Then I figured out how much work it is and how high the risk of messing it up. So, I never tried it, but came to the same conlusion as you did. ?