ooooooooooo

Arizona

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I bought my Roxor a week ago. Not sure why, but my local dealer could not get me my registration docs on the spot and had to be sent in. When I got my RZR a few years ago at another dealer I drove the RZR home temp reg in hand. And the Roxor is a road vehicle, go figure,
So it's day 9 of the wait. Dealer is closed on Monday's. But I called the company who does the title paperwork. Again, I'm confused as Arizona is one of the least cumbersome process to get titles and regs.

I'm pending a RV (off road only) plate and as soon as I get that I can get the MC (road) plate. Arizona allows street use of properly equipped vehicle and have some regs to follow. But as it stands nothing stops the Roxor from being a daily driver with one restriction.

On the other hand, I did call the MVD office today and asked about getting the vehicle a regular passenger vehicle plate. Seems that the issue is the VIN number, or technically, lack of. As it's a PIN and not a VIN. I was told if the vehicle is road worthy just bring it in with the title and a level 1 inspection and voila. Sounds too easy. So we shall see.

Cut and pasted:

How do I register my OHV to be “street legal”? (i.e., to operate it on paved or maintained roads)
ShowAnswer
Depending on how you plan to operate your OHV in Arizona, you have two options:
  • Option 1: If you operate primarily off-highway, then your vehicle is eligible for a reduced Vehicle License Tax (VLT) of $3.00 and waiver of the registration fee. The following requirements must be satisfied:
    • You must purchase an OHV Decal. An OHV owner may request a free motor vehicle registration when paying for the OHV Decal.
    • The vehicle must be designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain and have an unladen weight of 1,800 pounds or less.
    • You must affirm that your vehicle is equipped for highway use and will be primarily used off-highway.
    • Registered vehicles must comply with mandatory insurance requirements.
    • Vehicle emission testing requirements may apply.
  • Option 2: If you operate primarily on improved roads and highways (such as city driving), then you are required to register your vehicle, including payment of all fees, through the standard registration process. You must also satisfy the following requirements:
    • If your vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain and has an unladen weight of 1,800 pounds or less, you must purchase the OHV Decal.
    • You must affirm that your vehicle is equipped for highway use.
    • Registered vehicles must comply with mandatory insurance requirements.
    • Vehicle emissions testing requirements may apply.
So apparently 1800 lbs is a big factor here.

On the other note, I did my insurance today with Jake, from you know where. Full coverage was $307 a year, had I done liability only it would only be $62 a year.

And I have yet to find the law restricting use on interstate highway as I was told.

Moe

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE 83
I am also an Arizona owner, and I have the MC plate. Was very easy, except the money part. Was close to $400 per year, but it is legal on all roads in AZ except interstates.

As above, sign a simple afidavit that the vehicle has the horn, license plate light, etc. and done deal.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I am also an Arizona owner, and I have the MC plate. Was very easy, except the money part. Was close to $400 per year, but it is legal on all roads in AZ except interstates.

As above, sign a simple afidavit that the vehicle has the horn, license plate light, etc. and done deal.

From what I now understand NOW, interstate highways are OK. Not really for RZR and X3 as they have locked diffs and generally that much on pavement will quickly wear out a vehicle like that. Not to mention non DOT approved tires. I was told can't run on interstate. This was wrong info HOWEVER I will do one verification check with DPS.

Speed limiter needs to be removed. 45 is not allowed on interstate.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Done

Now for the windshield parts, lic plate bracket and light, mirrors, top, ....

502E4F25-447A-4CDC-AF1E-4F9B992075EE.jpeg

Moe

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
SE 83
Congrats! Can you tell me where you got the license plate bracket? Does it light he plate? Did you have to drill into the bumper? Thanks!
The license plate bracket was installed by the dealer, required here whether licensed for off-road only or street legal. It is located right below the drivers tail light, power tapped off of the tail light. It is just through bolted the body.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I saw a bracket at autozone for around $7. I wished I knew that before I made one. Easy to do.

IppoJ

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just to clarify; for AZ you have to apply for the off-road plate first and then apply for the on-road?
Thanks

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just to clarify; for AZ you have to apply for the off-road plate first and then apply for the on-road?
Thanks
Not exactly. AZ MVD should already have the Roxor in their system. It's over 1800 lbs so you will pay the VLT off the bat. It's still murky when and where the OHV tag applies but its only like $13 I think. When you register it they will hand you the MC plate instead of the RV one.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That looks like a motorcycle plate yes? So you should be good wherever you go?
Within Arizona and where ever they OK street use of UTV/ATV in other states. From what we've seen it's freeway legal as long as it's road worthy and you can get it up to speed.

The whole UTV classification of the Roxor is a complete joke. It's very road worthy.

Rolandwanders

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
if they are giving these motorcycle plates does a person need an endorsement to drive them?
I don't think so, I don't have one and just got back from the AZ MVD yesterday. The lady helping me clearly said they clarify it as an ATV, as stated on the title, and that we could select 'primarily off high way' as opposed to 'exclusively off highway' option on the tag application. The only other document we had to sign was a statement saying we had done what needed to be done - horn, lighted license plate, and mirrors - to be compliant and we're good to go. Took all of 10 minutes and no inspection. What we received in return was a new plate with the MC distinction versus the RV plate it was originally given, then we got an OHV tag and an official street tag to go in the upper right corner. The main street legal considerations are the MC on the plate, and the new year tag for the upper right, that's what the cops are looking for you to have as you tool around the neighborhood.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Short answer is NO MC endorsement required.

The vehicle is not defined as a motorcycle.

Yes, it shares the same plate style and markings but it’s not considered a motorcycle plate. Trailers have the option of a large normal car plate or smaller MC size one.

I believe this all started with the golf cart drivers pushing for change in allowing golf cart street use. Then to ATV, UTV and here we are.

I’ve previously had a RZR with a MC plate. The difference is a “restricted” use where you didn’t pay the VLT tax (as you would all road vehicles) and the conditions were you were traveling to or from off road area. Never heard of it being enforced.

Either way the Roxor at 3500 lbs doesn’t qualify. The vehicle has to be under 1800 lbs. With VLT fee you have it licensed for “highway” use. Same plate, just different amounts paid.

Another issue is windshield. Golf carts has that requirement. Not spelled out on UTV. Some say eye pro or windshield, others say windshield. I just did the windshield, not because of the law. AZ is a no helmet state for MC but I do believe eye protection is required. So why push it?

Turn signals are not required or n lieu of hand signals. For about $60 you can make your own turn signals. I did for $25. I stuck on a mirror. Not that it’s in a good spot but it’s required.

The Roxor has the rest and more (back up lights). So it’s good to go

Last edited:

Phoenixbob

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
OK, so I saw a member on here that has the full size AZ plate. I would like to know the process. I know how the MC plate works I have a licensed Polaris.

Tokarev

OK, so I saw a member on here that has the full size AZ plate. I would like to know the process. I know how the MC plate works I have a licensed Polaris.

Interesting. I assume this means emission testing for Tucson and Phoenix?

DAMCars

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I'm not clear on the benefits of the full size AZ plate? I've had the MC plate with OHV decal affixed since purchase in July. I drive my Roxor 75% on road, 25% off road. I haven't taken the beast on the highway yet ie 101 but probably will once I tune or do the big turbo upgrade.

Phoenixbob

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm not clear on the benefits of the full size AZ plate? I've had the MC plate with OHV decal affixed since purchase in July. I drive my Roxor 75% on road, 25% off road. I haven't taken the beast on the highway yet ie 101 but probably will once I tune or do the big turbo upgrade.
Being able to use in other states is the benefit. In state the MC plate is all you need. After talking with 3rd party MVD looks like you have to have it inspected with proper equipment and get a new vin.

Tokarev

Being able to use in other states is the benefit. In state the MC plate is all you need. After talking with 3rd party MVD looks like you have to have it inspected with proper equipment and get a new vin.
So more or less same stuff as most states that allow home build or street rods?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk