ooooooooooo

Anyone get one tagged in Florida yet?

EVOLTweetyBird

Well for 2 grand I'll go find an old junk jeep with a title and go from there. Florida is a pain to register a vehicle, So many fees for registration, especially if it's a first timer.

CanadianRoxor

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
2K was through dirt legal. If you have the know how I'm sure you could save yourself some money in the process.

BayouLady

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Well for 2 grand I'll go find an old junk jeep with a title and go from there. Florida is a pain to register a vehicle, So many fees for registration, especially if it's a first timer.
Please explain. I don’t understand. Can you take a title and vin from another vehicle and change the Roxor into it? (Have a 1979 CJ7). Is the Roxor then a replica? Sorry for so many questions- new at this. With Gen4 went through Montana LLC.

General

Founding Member
@BayouLady There are two opposing theories here. First, VIN fraud is illegal. Second, vehicles can be "restored" using newly manufactured parts. So, you can't swap another vehicle's VIN onto a Roxor (illegal), but you can use Jeep or Roxor or aftermarket parts to revive your CJ7. Your CJ7 doesn't become a replica just because it has Roxor parts, it's still a CJ7, easy to register and insure and maybe even safer and more reliable than before. Some states require you to tell them when you replace "major components," like engine, frame, body, etc. I've never met anyone who was impounded for not re-registering a new engine, but technically it's possible.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
What he said above! Don’t swap VINs. If found vehicle will be seized. I’ll add what General said:

Roxor are being noticed more. An astute LE would see a full size plate and recognize it as a Roxor and noting such would have all the reason to run your plate. If it comes back to anything other than a Roxor there’s reason one to stop and investigate. Once VIN is noted and swapped good bye Roxor.

Roxors get a lot of attention and certain characteristics that you are not going to change, even with a slot grille and CJ windshield and roll bar.

Check with your state, but generally body swap of an older vehicle on a newer chassis is acceptable. Frame replacement is common repair for older rusted or damaged frames. Even in AZ if I had an older CJ and tub swap on a CJ that was already registered and titled, an inspection isn’t even necessary. Only issues is if you replace the CJ with a new replacement tub is the VIN transfer or you scratch build one here in AZ, MVD will inspect and issue a VIN and title. Again your state will dictate how it’s done or not allowed.

This has been discussed extensively. A tub swap isn’t easy, and the issue is people doing so to conceal stolen vehicle and secondary to avoid certain restrictions.

A cop would need PC or consent to look at your VIN on the firewall. Sort of. Because if it was me, I’d get my flashlight and look under where I know I should find a VIN. Depending on year that VIN should be visible from the outside of the vehicle (dash) so that’s in sight. And trust me, the PC is blatant with a Roxor running plates that come back to a CJ.

Funny thing, is a spare Roxor tub be allowed as a replacement tub for a CJ since it’s not a VIN barrel dentifoed? Definitely muddies the water.

The general rule is the older vehicle, as indicated by on VIN is allowed to use newer motor and components. Not the other way around.

Again, do not swap a CJ or any other VIN or throw on a CJ plate on a Roxor. It will cost you.

We have LE on this board. I’ll fess up, I’m one too. And you have LE who are Jeep or off road guys and will know.

If you guys notice I do certain things with my Roxor. I did my r search and followed up with confirming if I can do things, like drive on the freeway. I looked it up, looked up definitions, did the “hmm” then asked.

If I ever get a specialty vehicle plate, and yes I am seeing what can apply, I may get the big plate. Then I’d look at every state I plan to go to and see if there are any issues if I travel through that state with that plate and registration. General senses, if a state or country of residence issues a valid license plate that vehicle can be operated in that state. Doesn’t mean I won’t get stopped or questioned but not much a cop can do if a resgiatration doesn’t have any restrictions an defined it as a “motor vehicle”. These are the rules typically applied to custom built vehicles.

Right now my Roxor is lawful to use on the road in Arizona with no restrictions. And apparently I possibly can drive in Utah with some restrictions. But I’ll call their highway patrol and verify.

All of it is common sense, apply good faith judgement, don’t try to circumvent law.

Somewhere out there ther are bumper carts rolling on CA streets with a CA plate and a 32 coupe rolling on the chassis of a RZR.

Last edited:

tuskermedic25

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I wonder why the price went from $500 to $2000 in Florida in the dirtlegal site, maybe their rep can shed some light. Im still driving 1.5 months in Florida with my South Dakota motorcycle plates and no stops to date, with many patrol cars driving nearby, but never directly riding my tail. Yesterday a martin county sherriff car went around me cause i was going 45mph on a 60mph road, but just kept on going, maybe he was on his way to a double homicide.

CanadianRoxor

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I wonder why the price went from $500 to $2000 in Florida in the dirtlegal site, maybe their rep can shed some light. Im still driving 1.5 months in Florida with my South Dakota motorcycle plates and no stops to date, with many patrol cars driving nearby, but never directly riding my tail. Yesterday a martin county sherriff car went around me cause i was going 45mph on a 60mph road, but just kept on going, maybe he was on his way to a double homicide.
$2000 for a full size FL tag is steep. I can’t see many people dishing out that.

BayouLady

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
What he said above! Don’t swap VINs. If found vehicle will be seized. I’ll add what General said:

Roxor are being noticed more. An astute LE would see a full size plate and recognize it as a Roxor and noting such would have all the reason to run your plate. If it comes back to anything other than a Roxor there’s reason one to stop and investigate. Once VIN is noted and swapped good bye Roxor.

Roxors get a lot of attention and certain characteristics that you are not going to change, even with a slot grille and CJ windshield and roll bar.

Check with your state, but generally body swap of an older vehicle on a newer chassis is acceptable. Frame replacement is common repair for older rusted or damaged frames. Even in AZ if I had an older CJ and tub swap on a CJ that was already registered and titled, an inspection isn’t even necessary. Only issues is if you replace the CJ with a new replacement tub is the VIN transfer or you scratch build one here in AZ, MVD will inspect and issue a VIN and title. Again your state will dictate how it’s done or not allowed.

This has been discussed extensively. A tub swap isn’t easy, and the issue is people doing so to conceal stolen vehicle and secondary to avoid certain restrictions.

A cop would need PC or consent to look at your VIN on the firewall. Sort of. Because if it was me, I’d get my flashlight and look under where I know I should find a VIN. Depending on year that VIN should be visible from the outside of the vehicle (dash) so that’s in sight. And trust me, the PC is blatant with a Roxor running plates that come back to a CJ.

Funny thing, is a spare Roxor tub be allowed as a replacement tub for a CJ since it’s not a VIN barrel dentifoed? Definitely muddies the water.

The general rule is the older vehicle, as indicated by on VIN is allowed to use newer motor and components. Not the other way around.

Again, do not swap a CJ or any other VIN or throw on a CJ plate on a Roxor. It will cost you.

We have LE on this board. I’ll fess up, I’m one too. And you have LE who are Jeep or off road guys and will know.

If you guys notice I do certain things with my Roxor. I did my r search and followed up with confirming if I can do things, like drive on the freeway. I looked it up, looked up definitions, did the “hmm” then asked.

If I ever get a specialty vehicle plate, and yes I am seeing what can apply, I may get the big plate. Then I’d look at every state I plan to go to and see if there are any issues if I travel through that state with that plate and registration. General senses, if a state or country of residence issues a valid license plate that vehicle can be operated in that state. Doesn’t mean I won’t get stopped or questioned but not much a cop can do if a resgiatration doesn’t have any restrictions an defined it as a “motor vehicle”. These are the rules typically applied to custom built vehicles.

Right now my Roxor is lawful to use on the road in Arizona with no restrictions. And apparently I possibly can drive in Utah with some restrictions. But I’ll call their highway patrol and verify.

All of it is common sense, apply good faith judgement, don’t try to circumvent law.

Somewhere out there ther are bumper carts rolling on CA streets with a CA plate and a 32 coupe rolling on the chassis of a RZR.

Thanks guys. I had read on another forum to take windshield and vin from the CJ, and was wondering how that worked. Glad you let me know. No, won’t be doing that! Our whole family are Jeep enthusiasts, and includes two who are deputies. Guess I could have asked them. Right now looking at Louisiana Mini Truck law. But, have plenty of time—. Waiting for automatic, and hubby to recover from back fusion surgery. Thanks again

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Please explain. I don’t understand. Can you take a title and vin from another vehicle and change the Roxor into it? (Have a 1979 CJ7). Is the Roxor then a replica? Sorry for so many questions- new at this. With Gen4 went through Montana LLC.

I looked at that 49dollarllc site. Is that who you used? Do you file tax returns for the llc? That site says you don’t. Just looking for someone’s experience with it. Is your registration restricted like i303 says is possible? Texas won’t register off road vehicle for on road use so that Montana llc and permanent plate sounds enticing.

BayouLady

Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
I looked at that 49dollarllc site. Is that who you used? Do you file tax returns for the llc? That site says you don’t. Just looking for someone’s experience with it. Is your registration restricted like i303 says is possible? Texas won’t register off road vehicle for on road use so that Montana llc and permanent plate sounds enticing.
Background: we camp a lot and see many Rvs with Montana plates. Several of our friends do this. We have always, and still do, register all of our vehicles in our home state, Louisiana, except for the Polaris.

When we became interested in getting a UTV, our investigation found that Louisiana registers all as off highway, not to go over 15mph. (From memory, we got it two years ago—-). Also, Colorado, where we spend the summer does not recognize Louisiana off road plates. Our only option was Montana or maybe South Dakota. Our friends gave us the name of a law firm in Montana (their LLC thru them) that sets up LLCs and registers vehicles for you. Our Polaris General is registered and licensed as a quadracycle and insured as such.

I don’t remember the cost (2017); but will look it up if you need it. (Maybe $1000 plus Montana registration fees.) There is a renewal yearly fee for the LLC. They handle all paperwork and communications with Montana, and keep us updated with law changes there.

We are still wary of where we go as there are many interpretations of Colorado law. The Colorado off road club is trying to get a law through the legislature standardizing rules and regs for OHV and UTVs. Hinsdale County is very friendly to off road vehicles. Several in Lake City are trying to limit or stop use in the town. Not sure how/if that will affect street legal licensed UTVs. We are watching it carefully.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Besides big boy plate make sure the registration doesn't note something along the lines of off road /ohv descriptor.

Heck if my state said they will give it a full pass for $2k, I just might.

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Been looking into getting a full sized tag also. I am in southern Alabama and there is a provision to the Alabama law that will allow the Japanese mini trucks to be titled and registered but restricted to no interstate driving. I would be good with this. I am making a trip to the DMV in a couple of days to renew our other tags and plan on taking the Roxor paperwork to see what they say. I was very insulted by the Dirt Legal’s $2,000 price tag for a full sized plate but... if it would transfer to my home state with no restrictions, I may pony up.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I don’t think a out of state LLC will work. Your local state will want you to reg your veh at the primary residence. Of course everyone will have different circumstances. Retirees, military, traveling vacuum cleaner sales man, truck driver. So who knows. Let us know what you find out.

Funny how this issue arised my curiosity to attain my Mexican residency and drivers license via my wife and buy a new Toyota HiLux or Mits L200,3 door 4x4 diesel and reg in Mexico and I can have it state side up to a year and reset every year. Can’t do it now. Need to retire first. Job issues.

There is always a LEGAL loophole. I focus to be sure I’m legal with anything to do with cops. Anything to do with a state office, such as DMV, it’s another issue. I pay my taxes. I pay my dues. Gov cannot díctate every thing.

I’ve mentioned before if you had a veh reg in another state because your state is stringent, well there is such thing as good faith effort. It’s a personal use vehicle, being picky about a plate usually arises from something else. No guarantees either. Ask around, KNOW the laws and regs. Don’t ask a patent attorney about playting a Roxor. Ask one who might know about this issue, which there aren’t that many. You aren’t going to ask an optometrist about erectile problems just because a doctor is a doctor.

Last edited:

txroadkill

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I don’t think a out of state LLC will work. Your local state will want you to reg your veh at the primary residence. Of course everyone will have different circumstances. Retirees, military, traveling vacuum cleaner sales man, truck driver. So who knows. Let us know what you find out.

Funny how this issue arised my curiosity to attain my Mexican residency and drivers license via my wife and buy a new Toyota HiLux or Mits L200,3 door 4x4 diesel and reg in Mexico and I can have it state side up to a year and reset every year. Can’t do it now. Need to retire first. Job issues.

There is always a LEGAL loophole. I focus to be sure I’m legal with anything to do with cops. Anything to do with a state office, such as DMV, it’s another issue. I pay my taxes. I pay my dues. Gov cannot díctate every thing.

I’ve mentioned before if you had a veh reg in another state because your state is stringent, well there is such thing as good faith effort. It’s a personal use vehicle, being picky about a plate usually arises from something else. No guarantees either. Ask around, KNOW the laws and regs. Don’t ask a patent attorney about playting a Roxor. Ask one who might know about this issue, which there aren’t that many. You aren’t going to ask an optometrist about erectile problems just because a doctor is a doctor.

Well you have to view the registration differently than an individual. The llc owns the vehicle and you own/work for the llc. Because the llc is out of state it doesn’t matter the residency requirements of an individual. It only matters if the llc has an office location in state than they could require it but not sure if any states do. The service I’m referring to utilizes their address and they forward it to you. So in essence on paper everything is out of state. My only sticking point on it is taxes. The service claims you don’t have to file state or fed income tax cause it’s a paper llc only and no revenue is generated. I’m not a tax lawyer so I don’t know if that’s true. Hate to try and use a loophole only to get hung out on a technicality.