ooooooooooo

Any one thinking about putting old school Non Directional tire on?

STLFireman

any one put non directional tires on to give the roxor that old school willys look ?

f600-16dn_a.jpg

General

Founding Member
I love the nostalgia, but how do they compare to a modern tire's performance? Price is no better than a modern tire, and size options are limited. I'd be concerned about traction (dry, wet, snow), acceleration and braking, longevity, and noise. 50 years ago, non-directional military tires were fine because folks drove more carefully, but now we're all spoiled and thrash our tires more -- a person could get in trouble, especially while maneuvering at speed.

STLFireman

Not so much for everyday driving but to make a newish Willy’s painted the old od green with those tires and stencils I’m a veteran and just want it for the old school look without the cost and time to restore a old Willy’s just to sit in the garage because I would be to afraid to off road it lol

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I can put some on and take pics if you guys want. Traction is fine, specially in the nasty stuff, but the ride is much more harsh.

KO2 might just be the best 4x4 tire ever made..

jdlee

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I can put some on and take pics if you guys want. Traction is fine, specially in the nasty stuff, but the ride is much more harsh.

KO2 might just be the best 4x4 tire ever made..
I agree on the KO2's. My wife and I both have Subarus with KO2's and would not have anything else. We live in a mountain town on dirt roads. These tires have been great!

lawtac

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
What rims would be needed to fit the Roxor hubs and use the old look tires?

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'll test the 15" Willys rims when I get a chance. The 16" Willys will very liekly fit as my stock rims are 16". All CJs were the same 5x5.5 as the Roxor.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've been a fan of KO's and KO2's for many years and believe M&M was right on track supplying them as their standard offering but unfortunately they did not perform as I needed, even at low psi, so I went modern MT design with old school sizing, BFG KM3 in 7.50-16. The Factory 7" wheel is max width for this tire and causes a loss of about .5" OD over manufacture specs so they're about 31" as shown. For my needs these tires are night and day difference over the KO2's and a perfect blend of height, weight and toughness.

IMG_0915.JPG

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I know that was the tire of our government for ages. But how does it compare to the tires for functionality compared to to tires in today’s market?. I have ended up with stock size BFG KM3s and they perform great. As a kid a friends dad had a surplus WW2 Jeep with standard tires, but I didn’t care back then.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It actually did great down in Moab. You definitely notice a difference between them and the factory one's, but I personally think the difference is not that great. Definitely worth the tradeoff, in my opinion.

B

Bister

need to change my KO2s, they cake up and like running slicks, need to get more of a mud tire for where I drive to get to our cabin

Same here, the stock tires just become slicks in mud. Looking at Firestone Destinations M/T right now.

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
It actually did great down in Moab. You definitely notice a difference between them and the factory one's, but I personally think the difference is not that great. Definitely worth the tradeoff, in my opinion.
I would LOVE to take my Roxor out to MOAB. I rode one of the trails out there when I first got my RAM. Maybe one day....

Lwhite5

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Will 7.00-16 NDT clear and not rub? No lift or leveling kit, I am hustling worried it will rub on the leaf springs on tight turns.