ooooooooooo

Another heater option

ehart814

I don’t even own a Roxor yet, still trying to figure out how to move some other toys to make room...

Read about these diesel heaters on other forums and I used one in a box truck before and it put out a ton of heat.

Anyway I can’t help but think that one of these heaters would work awesome in a Roxor:

12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater Thermostat for Caravan Motorhome RV Trailer Truck Boat | eBay

12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater 5000W 10L Tank LCD Switch Remote F/Trucks Car Boat Bus 928879771350 | eBay

Advantages:
-Instant and consistent heat, no matter how fast or slow
-Uses DIESEL, could plumb the small pump right from the Roxor fuel tank
-simple setup, no cutting into coolant lines
-easily removed in the summer time, depending how you install
-remote start so the interior is warm before you get in or start the engine
- oh yeah, WAY CHEAPER than coolant based systems
-more heat output

Disadvantages:
-not really seeing any... maybe questionable Chinese quality??

Anyone considering one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You can find aftermarket coolant heaters that are probably a bit safer than that unit for a lot cheaper on Amazon.

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
As someone who operated combat tracked vehicles, M113 and M2 Bradley, I would pass on a diesel heater. Constant issues and carbon monoxide risk is high. I wonder how close they are in comparison to the always crapping out track heaters. You'd definitely would have to run fuel lines and exhaust. Those vehicles had to sit for long periods with crew inside engine off. So a regular auto heater in a Roxor would be more prctical

B

Bister

I’m not sure where you would mount something like that without it being in the way or an eyesore and no defrost, but out of all the ones I have seen, I like the factory one. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. Easy to install, DYI in an hour, lots of heat, no holes to cut in the dash, brackets that fit it properly up under the dash, prewired with switch (plug and play) if you want defrost it’s an easy add on. Yeah, it’s a few bucks more than running around and getting all the stuff, but to me my time is worth something to. I could have saved $100 maybe not counting gas running around, and it would have been pieced together and hanging on the floor. I didn’t want that. Did that in my last sxs. The only thing I don’t like is the single speed, but I hear things and that might be changing.

I would be concerned about reliability also, as already mentioned. In 5 or 10 years a regular heater, no matter which one you go with, will probably still be working trouble free. Sometimes what you save upfront, you pay for later.

large_5378_Quality.jpg

This was my install:

Last edited by a moderator:

ehart814

I’m not sure where you would mount something like that without it being in the way or an eyesore and no defrost, but out of all the ones I have seen, I like the factory one. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. Easy to install, DYI in an hour, lots of heat, no holes to cut in the dash, brackets that fit it properly up under the dash, prewired with switch (plug and play) if you want defrost it’s an easy add on. Yeah, it’s a few bucks more than running around and getting all the stuff, but to me my time is worth something to. I could have saved $100 maybe not counting gas running around, and it would have been pieced together and hanging on the floor. I didn’t want that. Did that in my last sxs. The only thing I don’t like is the single speed, but I hear things and that might be changing.

I would be concerned about reliability also, as already mentioned. In 5 or 10 years a regular heater, no matter which one you go with, will probably still be working trouble free. Sometimes what you save upfront, you pay for later.

View attachment 2839

This was my install:

I’m all for simple, and I’d be willing to pay more for simplicity and reliability. For some reason I had it in my head that I read that the factory heater option didn’t work too well. But now that I know it’s easy to install and puts out a lot of heat, that would be the way I’d go.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I installed a Maradyn. Bought on amazon. It works Great. It comes with a rheostat for fan speeds and water shut off. There is a post and pictures somewhere on the forum. I have less than $200 into it. Easy to install. I especially like the shut off valve. Factory is a safer bet if you are not very handy.

B

Bister

If you do install anything, you run direct from the hose coming from the EGR and then back to the hose on the left, that way you get the most heat possible out of any heater. You can't turn it off in the summer, but if you added a couple T's and valves in the right places you could. Lots just put in the T's or Y's without shut off valves, if you do that you only get half the volume of water. The air coming out of anything run direct should be about the same as mine which is 185F when it is working or driving. It drops some when idling. It will on any heater. Have a 3 speed resistor switch coming for mine to get rid of the single speed. It's $7.50 and should come that way from the factory. Like I said, they might be changing something to make it multi-speed, if they don't , they should . lol. I'm glad the heater I went with had a defrost kit available, not everyone needs that, I need that in Saskatchewan with a couple panting dogs and me after a walk.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
When I ran my hoses I had removed egr cooler, so I used the same engine ports the cooler used. No splices. Gate valve in heater dead heads the hot water at the inlet. So core does not heat up. Have not needed defrost down here. Open cab still. Heater is used mostly to warm cold hands.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I don’t even own a Roxor yet, still trying to figure out how to move some other toys to make room...

Read about these diesel heaters on other forums and I used one in a box truck before and it put out a ton of heat.

Anyway I can’t help but think that one of these heaters would work awesome in a Roxor:

12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater Thermostat for Caravan Motorhome RV Trailer Truck Boat | eBay

12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater 5000W 10L Tank LCD Switch Remote F/Trucks Car Boat Bus 928879771350 | eBay

Advantages:
-Instant and consistent heat, no matter how fast or slow
-Uses DIESEL, could plumb the small pump right from the Roxor fuel tank
-simple setup, no cutting into coolant lines
-easily removed in the summer time, depending how you install
-remote start so the interior is warm before you get in or start the engine
- oh yeah, WAY CHEAPER than coolant based systems
-more heat output

Disadvantages:
-not really seeing any... maybe questionable Chinese quality??

Anyone considering one of these?

Diesel heaters have been around a long time. Dodge offers one in Ram. As I write this in my motercoach I am warmed with the most famous system Aqua-Hot.They are great however expect to pay several thousands. It also eliminates the need for a water heater. The do need annual maintance, and , they use very little fuel, they are amazing.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
If you do install anything, you run direct from the hose coming from the EGR and then back to the hose on the left, that way you get the most heat possible out of any heater. You can't turn it off in the summer, but if you added a couple T's and valves in the right places you could. Lots just put in the T's or Y's without shut off valves, if you do that you only get half the volume of water. The air coming out of anything run direct should be about the same as mine which is 185F when it is working or driving. It drops some when idling. It will on any heater. Have a 3 speed resistor switch coming for mine to get rid of the single speed. It's $7.50 and should come that way from the factory. Like I said, they might be changing something to make it multi-speed, if they don't , they should . lol. I'm glad the heater I went with had a defrost kit available, not everyone needs that, I need that in Saskatchewan with a couple panting dogs and me after a walk.
Where do you get the new hose used as a tee after the water pump.

B

Bister

When I ran my hoses I had removed egr cooler, so I used the same engine ports the cooler used. No splices. Gate valve in heater dead heads the hot water at the inlet. So core does not heat up. Have not needed defrost down here. Open cab still. Heater is used mostly to warm cold hands.
My heater is on the same line, direct, but I can't dead head because I am still running an EGR cooler. The air is super warm with the direct method. I'm sure yours is Woodsman. If I wanted to turn off my heater, I would have to add valves an T's in the proper places to do so because I still run the EGR cooler. It would be easy and only cost 2 T's, 2 valves and 6-8 hose clamps; I would have to draw a map for the correct amount, but you could re-use the 4 that are there. lol

Here is the artists rendition to make things clear as mud. Lol

As Woodsman mentioned, he removed his EGR, so he can close the valve on his heater and dead head the line. I can’t. That is where valves and T’s come in if a person wants full heat in the winter and no coolant coming through the heater in the summer. I drive when the evenings are cool, so I always leave the heater available if needed without opening and closing valves. If needed I can be artistic and sketch it out, but it wouldn’t be no ‘van Gogh’.

C23622E2-CC5A-40F0-A829-611F3875C304.jpeg

B

Bister

I had cut the hose from the water pump and installed a tee. The factory hose is molded on mine
Ok, so you're splitting the coolant the EGR and heater, that might make it a bit cooler, might not. My air is 185ºF when the out side was about -10ºF. I assume you put a valve into your heater line and it can be turned off. I would have to add 2 T's and 2 valves to turn it off. I always left mine on on my old Rhino, lots of times I'm coming home after dark and it's a bit cool. If it is too hot under the dash in an open cab in the summer, I'll add them in later. Easy to do.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Ok, so you're splitting the coolant the EGR and heater, that might make it a bit cooler, might not. My air is 185ºF when the out side was about -10ºF. I assume you put a valve into your heater line and it can be turned off. I would have to add 2 T's and 2 valves to turn it off. I always left mine on on my old Rhino, lots of times I'm coming home after dark and it's a bit cool. If it is too hot under the dash in an open cab in the summer, I'll add them in later. Easy to do.
No I did not install shutoff valves, doing so would require more hardware. I am taking another look at your install which looks impressive. ......

B

Bister

No I did not install shutoff valves, doing so would require more hardware. I am taking another look at your install which looks impressive. ......
I posted a video of the above drawing in a new post.