ooooooooooo

Aluminum Wheel vs Steel Wheel - Photos

VinSanity

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Looking to buy
Photos of both wheels.
Aluminum and then the steel spare wheel and tire.

IMG_1044 Aluminum Wheel - Copy.jpg IMG_1046 Steel Wheel - Copy.jpg

i303

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I would prefer the old school steel wheels. Funny how you hardly can find them now

A7FB0975-B4D0-4D8C-AE72-4E93BFF8E0FE.jpeg

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Those who live in northern climes prefer aluminum would be my guess. I know from many years experence that it only takes a season or two for steel wheels to rust. Vehicles that live outdoors , like trailers are the worst.

B

Bister

Those who live in northern climes prefer aluminum would be my guess. I know from many years experence that it only takes a season or two for steel wheels to rust. Vehicles that live outdoors , like trailers are the worst.

Aluminum wheels tend to contract more in colder temperatures, which can cause inconsistent tire pressure, as well as allowing air to leak over time. Steel rims contract less in colder temperatures, which contributes to maintaining a specified tire pressure.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Aluminum wheels tend to contract more in colder temperatures, which can cause inconsistent tire pressure, as well as allowing air to leak over time. Steel rims contract less in colder temperatures, which contributes to maintaining a specified tire pressure.

Over the last 40 years or so , I only had one aluminum wheel failure, and that was on a car hauler trailer where the wheel split down the center due to sidewall strain.......I learned my lesson , always specified forged Alcoa after that. Worse than painted steel are chromed steel. Most never make it one winter before ugly rust starts to take over. Chrome wheels are not as strong ether. The exception to Aluminum over steel is vintage vehicles. In my opinion nothing’s worse than modern aluminum wheels on a restored vehicle. The plus factor in aluminum over steel includes they are lighter, rum truer, better heat dissipation and unsprung weight which helps in fuel savings, better handling and performance.

B

Bister

Over the last 40 years or so , I only had one aluminum wheel failure, and that was on a car hauler trailer where the wheel split down the center due to sidewall strain.......I learned my lesson , always specified forged Alcoa after that. Worse than painted steel are chromed steel. Most never make it one winter before ugly rust starts to take over. Chrome wheels are not as strong ether. The exception to Aluminum over steel is vintage vehicles. In my opinion nothing’s worse than modern aluminum wheels on a restored vehicle. The plus factor in aluminum over steel includes they are lighter, rum truer, better heat dissipation and unsprung weight which helps in fuel savings, better handling and performance.

Yep, I agree. The only fault I have with aluminum is at -30C in the Canadian winter is the constant slow leaking around the rim, so a few times a year your adding air or in extreme cases, waking up to a flat tire, but’s that’s an extreme case and probably an improperly/poor cleaning of the bead when installed and of course it shows up in the coldest of days. Lol

Edit: and at -30C, I don’t think I’ll be using my (hopefully be here soon in Canada) ROXOR

Bobby

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Interesting information. Thank the good lord I live in South Carolina. Two nights in a row below freezing and they call out the Nation Guard. I am interested in cold weather cranking on the ROXOR. Again, shouldn’t be a problem for me, but it will be for some.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Interesting information. Thank the good lord I live in South Carolina. Two nights in a row below freezing and they call out the Nation Guard. I am interested in cold weather cranking on the ROXOR. Again, shouldn’t be a problem for me, but it will be for some.

One possible solution for cold weather start as well as cab comfort would be a diesel fired heater. There are several out there. The most known is Aquahot , from a company in Colorado. I have their complete system in my motor coach.

B

Bister

With a block heater installed and plugged in and the synthetic oil, I don’t see it being an issue at all. That’s a pretty small block to warm up with a block heater. You could also use an electric circulating heater. But then I’m not sure what your calling cold, lol. At freezing is when we put a jacket on up here. JK. But at -25F it gets a bit frosty walking the dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
With a block heater installed and plugged in and the synthetic oil, I don’t see it being an issue at all. That’s a pretty small block to warm up with a block heater. You could also use an electric circulating heater. But then I’m not sure what your calling cold, lol. At freezing is when we put a jacket on up here. JK. But at -25F it gets a bit frosty walking the dogs.

And , what about the driver .? I question the efficiency of a small diesel to heat an unprotected cab, hopefully with some canvas. Here in Upper Michigan it’s possible we can compete with the frozen tundra up north in maple leaf land. This is where a diesel fired Wabasco set up. I remember when Dodge offered such on the 6.7 Cummins.........they were expensive .

B

Bister

And , what about the driver .? I question the efficiency of a small diesel to heat an unprotected cab, hopefully with some canvas. Here in Upper Michigan it’s possible we can compete with the frozen tundra up north in maple leaf land. This is where a diesel fired Wabasco set up. I remember when Dodge offered such on the 6.7 Cummins.........they were expensive .
When its the middle of winter for me, mine will probably be parked. I'll use my truck. I live out in Saskatchewan and not even real far north, we get way colder out here than around the Toronto area. But if I do use it, it will be coming out of a heated shop and your right, it better have some sort of cab (even canvas) and a heater. Last Christmas, our daytime highs were around -25F for the week and lows close to -35F, but that was a cold snap, it's not always that cold.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I love steel wheels.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I plan on trying to rig mine with an electric ambient heat setup (butts, hands, and feet). I also wanna rig up a electric defrost. I have never liked the defrosters on CJ5/7s and don't wanna poorly recreate that same system.

-20s aren't rare here, so block heater and grid heaters are must. When it's that cold though, it won't snow.

B

Bister

I love steel wheels.
I would prefer the steel wheels to, and the cheap tires instead of the package that is coming on them, then I could put the money into the tire I want and a fancy rim doesn’t matter to me at all. And a steel one is easy to repaint or get powder coated in the future. My Rhino rims are 11 years old and still are ok. I’m not driving anything in slushy road salt.

As for the seat, I have one of those power point plug in ones in the Rhino. It helps, but I am closed in good with a heater. I think a Roxor will be better set up similar.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I would prefer the steel wheels to, and the cheap tires instead of the package that is coming on them, then I could put the money into the tire I want and a fancy rim doesn’t matter to me at all. And a steel one is easy to repaint or get powder coated in the future. My Rhino rims are 11 years old and still are ok. I’m not driving anything in slushy road salt.

As for the seat, I have one of those power point plug in ones in the Rhino. It helps, but I am closed in good with a heater. I think a Roxor will be better set up similar.

The idea is to get the moisture out.....dash fans worked for years on big trucks before AC. And vintage cars too. I still think a diesel heater is the way to go , I have seen them on eBay with prices all over the place. Big in Canada.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

All this product trial and error on a vehicle that’s still an infant. And growing....my fix for now , come Nov . Fire up the 500 hp Cummins and the aquahot....and head south for the winter !

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I guess over the years , mostly on big trucks and car hauler trailers, I grew to hate steel wheels....they all rusted, like cheap chrome wheels. Aluminum, even after years in salt still looked 100 percent better.....and, no painting needed.

SMF

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The 2019 Classic inventory at our local dealer all have black steel wheels -- as contrasted with the 2018 Classics, all of which have aluminum. In addition to black, green and sand colored steel wheels are apparently also available -- a nice retro look. The latest LEs all have aluminum. Any combination can be had.