ooooooooooo

Alabama Mini-Truck licence

Mark Hubbs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I finished installing the Hard Cabs on "Kworter Ton" my Roxor and then I was off to the DMV office on Redstone Arsenal to get her licensed. In Alabama it is easiest to have them licensed as a "Mini-Truck." This will allow use on all roads except the interstate.

Here are some websites that describe a "Mini-Truck." If you add turn signals and a hard cab to your Roxor it meet the requirements as a "mini truck."

Mini-truck

Section 40-12-240

Take a copy of these pages with you. You will also need proof of insurance. I also showed them the bill of sale, but purposely did not offer the MSO that came from the dealer. It states "Off Road Only." She never asked for it. I went prepared with copies of all of the State regulations on mini-trucks and a speech should I have to convince them. It was a non-issue. The lady never challenged me, although she had never heard of mini-truck registrations. Her big issue was trying to figure out how to input the model and non-standard VIN number into their licensing software. A couple of calls to HQ in Montgomery got it all settled. She never even asked to inspect the vehicle. I was worried about the 25mph limit, so I left the Roxor in 4 Low. If they had asked me to do a turn around the parking lot, I could not have gotten up to 25mph! But, for me there was no inspection. Your milage may vary according to who does your registration.
IMG_7866.jpeg

Anyway, I have the registration and a temporary tag. A full size metal tag will come by mail in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to Greg at Fredericks Outdoors in Decatur AL for the registration pointers!
IMG_7872.jpeg
IMG_7871.jpeg

Spanky

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Nice, but I'll need to find another way to get a tag for mine. I'm not dropping big money putting a hard cab on mine. I do dig that color thought. I know you must have some killer places to ride there around Huntsville!!!

Mark Hubbs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nice, but I'll need to find another way to get a tag for mine. I'm not dropping big money putting a hard cab on mine. I do dig that color thought. I know you must have some killer places to ride there around Huntsville!!!
Yes, If I had known how easy it was and there would be no inspection, I would not have bought it. However, on another day and another clerk, it may have been absolutely required. The cab is cozy now while its cold, but this summer the doors and back will be coming off

BoxRox

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Will you get a title? Or just a registration?

MaineRox

Nice looking truck! How long did it take to put on the cab? Does it take two people? (I also wonder how much time to take it off.) Is it similar to the Wrangler hard top in regards to taking it on and off?

Mark Hubbs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Nice looking truck! How long did it take to put on the cab? Does it take two people? (I also wonder how much time to take it off.) Is it similar to the Wrangler hard top in regards to taking it on and off?
I'm not familiar with the wrangler version, so I can't compare. It took about 2 hours to put it on. I is all modular and attaches with clamps to the Roll Bar system. Each peice comes off individually. When it gets warm I'll take off everything except the roof and wind sheild.

MaineRox

I'm not familiar with the wrangler version, so I can't compare. It took about 2 hours to put it on. I is all modular and attaches with clamps to the Roll Bar system. Each peice comes off individually. When it gets warm I'll take off everything except the roof and wind sheild.
That sounds very doable. Maybe easier than the Wrangler.

I also showed your Roxor's picture to a neighbor/friend police officer and he's going to check for me with Maine mini truck regs. He thinks it should work. We still might need to go the custom vehicle route, though. The cab would also help with making it custom.

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I'm happy they at least have some kind of of avenue for you to do some sort of registration even if it's restricted. Here in King County Washington it's totally hopeless. Do get me wrong there's a lot of nice things about this area. Lot's of work and people got plenty of money. But the State is more restrictive than yours. Bummer

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I finished installing the Hard Cabs on "Kworter Ton" my Roxor and then I was off to the DMV office on Redstone Arsenal to get her licensed. In Alabama it is easiest to have them licensed as a "Mini-Truck." This will allow use on all roads except the interstate.

Here are some websites that describe a "Mini-Truck." If you add turn signals and a hard cab to your Roxor it meet the requirements as a "mini truck."

Mini-truck

Section 40-12-240

Take a copy of these pages with you. You will also need proof of insurance. I also showed them the bill of sale, but purposely did not offer the MSO that came from the dealer. It states "Off Road Only." She never asked for it. I went prepared with copies of all of the State regulations on mini-trucks and a speech should I have to convince them. It was a non-issue. The lady never challenged me, although she had never heard of mini-truck registrations. Her big issue was trying to figure out how to input the model and non-standard VIN number into their licensing software. A couple of calls to HQ in Montgomery got it all settled. She never even asked to inspect the vehicle. I was worried about the 25mph limit, so I left the Roxor in 4 Low. If they had asked me to do a turn around the parking lot, I could not have gotten up to 25mph! But, for me there was no inspection. Your milage may vary according to who does your registration.
View attachment 5472
Anyway, I have the registration and a temporary tag. A full size metal tag will come by mail in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to Greg at Fredericks Outdoors in Decatur AL for the registration pointers!
View attachment 5473View attachment 5474
Just seeing this! Thank you for posting! I may have to give this a try. I trailered mine to the DMV shortly after installing mirrors, wipers and turn signals.. they DID inspect mine and were about to give me a tag when they read the title. “Off-road use only” was a deal breaker. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Just seeing this! Thank you for posting! I may have to give this a try. I trailered mine to the DMV shortly after installing mirrors, wipers and turn signals.. they DID inspect mine and were about to give me a tag when they read the title. “Off-road use only” was a deal breaker. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
PS: I won’t be installing a hard cab so we’ll see.

Mark Hubbs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Yes, please let us know how it goes. Don’t forget to leave the dealer statement of origin at home. Only show them the Bill of Sale. What county are you in?

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Will do. I also carry full coverage progressive insurance. In Mobile county. Farthest possible county from you!

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
So I finally got a day off during the week to go back to the DMV. I went with a copy of the mini truck print out and tried my luck. Went to the same DMV I had gone to before when I was told no. Got the clerk and 2 supervisors involved but was told repeatedly that “that thing isn’t road worthy”. Left there aggravated after flat towing the Roxor 40+ miles only to be told no for the second time. I was half way home with my tail between my legs and decided to go to a different DMV and try one more time.

this time was very different.. I gave them my dealer invoice, a copy of the mini truck print out and my title which clearly reads that the Roxor is not intended for on road use. The clerk went and spoke to a supervisor and they both decided they would like to take a look at this thing.. She said “it just looks like a Jeep to me” the supervisor told me that I probably wouldn’t want to tag it as a mini truck as it will limit where I could drive it and the tag is not transferable. I agreed. They both went inside and I patiently waited as the clerk painstakingly typed up the title paperwork and gave me a FULL SIZE, TRANSFERRABLE, TAG!! No fuss no argument. Just “here you go, have a nice day”.

I feel like I was just lucky and got a clerk and supervisor that were willing to go the extra mile to do what needed to be done to tag the vehicle. Also, you can catch a lot more flies with sugar than vinegar. I tried to be as polite as possible and did not lead them to believe I was trying to do anything sneaky. I basically just laid it all out there. Said this is what I have and this is what I’d like to do. Is there any way to tag this vehicle?

Mods I have that may have effected the outcome:
Fortress top and windshield combo (glass windshield)
Turn signal kit
Single windshield wiper
I have a set of full doors I built but did not have them on the Roxor. Just had a set of my half doors on the machine.

Mark Hubbs

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Jeepish,

Congratulations! Persistance paid off. If I had been turned down the first time, I would have tried every DMV in Madison County. I'm happy this worked for you and you got the bonus of full registration too. See you on the road.

Jeepish

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Thanks Mark
I was inspired by your story not to give up. Thank you for sharing your experience.