ooooooooooo

A 1954 Mahindra jeep story

sandyx

Founding Member
This is the story of a 1954 Mahindra CJ-3B that made its way back to USA. The original article came in the 1999 Special Interest Autos magazine #170 & carried by the Hemmings Daily on its site in 2008. It gives a look into the fag end of the CKD business that went into these initial batch Mahindra Jeeps.

s-l1000.jpg

1378972-0-1200.jpg

1378971-0-1200.jpg

1378973-0-1200.jpg

1378974-0-1200.jpg

1378976-0-1200.jpg

1378975-0-1200.jpg

1378977-0-1200.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2008/03/23/sia-flashback-born-in-toledo-raised-in-bombay/

Last edited:

sandyx

Founding Member
Jeep Mahindra

NOTE: Pics are unrelated to the text & in no particular order. Pics provided to give hard top ideas for the Roxor and to break up the text. Also inaccurate specs found against some models.

MM440DP87FRP.gif

In October 1947, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd imported a batch of 75 Jeep CJ2A .

In 1949, an agreement was reached with Willys Overland Export Corporation for the import of kit items (CKD) for the assembly of Jeep CJ3A at the Mazagaon plant in Bombay. At the beginning only 10% of the pieces come from India, in particular, the tires and some electrical elements.

1954, Mahindra & Mahindra buys the licenses for the manufacture of the Jeep CJ3B which it will manufacture locally from 1954.

1955, the CJ4 is introduced, it is an extended version of the CJ3B with a wheelbase of 2.31 meters or 91 inches.

From 1962. Mahindra & Mahindra provides 70% of the total manufacture of the vehicle in these factories Mahindra.

MM540DPWAG.gif

1965, the small Jeep truck, the FC150 is made in India, many versions will come from this small truck, bus, van.

1967, Mahindra & Mahindra assures 97% of the total manufacture of the vehicle and offers versions of the 101-inch long wheelbase CJ3B or 2.56 meters are introduced, just like the Jeep Station wagon which is introduced on the Indian market . Thus Mahindra & Mahindra is left with a complete range of Jeep manufactured under license and adapted to the requirements of the Indian market.

Jeep Mahindra & Mahindra are practically 100% made in India in 1968.

MM540DP91FRP.gif

1974, the Mahindra range evolves with a new transmission, new front fenders. Mahindra & Mahindra is still working with Jeep Corporation, then a division of American Motors.

From 1975 on, due to the increase in fuel costs, Mahindra introduced diesel engines on the Jeep CJ and FC Truck. The MD 2350 engine from the diesel engine of agricultural tractors that Mahindra manufactures and assembles under license International Harvester.

In 1979, the Indian government approved the technical collaboration of Mahindra with the French manufacturer Peugeot for the manufacture of the diesel engine 2.1 L type indénor XDP 4.90 that will equip the range CJ and FC.

MM775HTP4d.gif

The production of the 2.5L diesel engine Peugeot XD3 was launched in 1989 to equip the Mahindra.

In 1984, Mahindra Hellenic Auto Industries, a subsidiary in Greece, produced Mahindra CJ340 and CJ540 for the European market. The plant received kit vehicles and assembled them on site.

1985, a new range is introduced, the Mahindra MM 440 and 540 which will quickly give a lineage of new models .

A new MDI 2500 direct injection diesel engine equips the CL500DI and 650DI from1991.

The Armada is marketed from 1993, this station wagon knows a good success, The current Bolero is its successor.

MM775HTP2d.gif

Current models are evolving, for a long time Mahindra had the virtual monopoly on the Indian market, the competition is now present, new models are presented that stand out from the production Jeep made their appearance, it's almost a pity of lose this nostalgic capital of old jeep. But as any manufacturer, Mahindra must evolve, this manufacturer has still kept the manufacture of the same model, the Jeep CJ3B , certainly with many developments, but in the same aspect for more than 50 years. The series MM 440 and 540 has been produced for twenty years. Its down the Mahindra Thar Currently produced marks a certain return to the past and also to some demand from the somewhat nostalgic customer of the past and the Jeep.

I invite you to visit the world of Jeep Mahindra.

Les Jeep en Asie

Last edited:

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Awesome info! This stuff is gonna be gold to see what parts can work on older Jeeps here and there. It's gonna be neat to see the Jeep worlds combine from India and the US. I bet there is some parts sourcing that will be greatly eased by this kinda forum.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
WANT - Utility Simple Cab 4WD

This with a small lift and some Jeepy fix'uns is like my dream truck right there.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Awesome info! This stuff is gonna be gold to see what parts can work on older Jeeps here and there. It's gonna be neat to see the Jeep worlds combine from India and the US. I bet there is some parts sourcing that will be greatly eased by this kinda forum.

You probably already know this but there is a lot of really good info on the Team BPH forum.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There is but having the intro of the back story Sandyx has provided over a few threads is immensely helpful. It kinda jump starts taking advantage of the info on BHP.

I'm knowledgeable about the US Jeeps and the lineage and everything but went in blind into the MM side. I never knew the Jeep scene in India was so awesome.

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
There is but having the intro of the back story Sandyx has provided over a few threads is immensely helpful. It kinda jump starts taking advantage of the info on BHP.

I'm knowledgeable about the US Jeeps and the lineage and everything but went in blind into the MM side. I never knew the Jeep scene in India was so awesome.

I didn't either, my only MM experience was their tractors. I have one with deep IH roots in a very old school design so the Roxor was a natural fit. I really enjoy reading what the BPH forum has to say about how they use their vehicles and did alot of research on Thar DI before recently regearing mine. These things are tough as nails and with a regular PM schedule they will last many many years.