ooooooooooo

70 miles on the Odometer and a Couple weird things

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've had my Roxor for about 2 weeks now. I've driven it 70 miles so I'm still in the breakin phase. I've noticed when driving that if I rev the engine higher than 2500 rpm's I hear a little pinging noise. I also notice a burning smell. Is this something that will go away after she's broken in?

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I've had my Roxor for about 2 weeks now. I've driven it 70 miles so I'm still in the breakin phase. I've noticed when driving that if I rev the engine higher than 2500 rpm's I hear a little pinging noise. I also notice a burning smell. Is this something that will go away after she's broken in?
Disel engines definitely have their own sound. When you start to get over 2500 rpm on this little motor it does start to lose its sewing machine sound (this is not a flaw, but a characteristics of disel engines). In my own and all that I've heard I guess you could call some of it a "pining" sound if you had to define it. In my experience, weather it's with my own roxor, my brother in laws, my 86 dodge 2500 or my Kubota tractor disel engines just have that sloppy sound when they Rev high. As for burning smell, that's paint and gaskets burning in, mine did it for prob 300-500 miles. Its just part of break in, enjoy it, you only get that smell once :). If your still worried about that noise go to your local dealer and see if theirs makes that sound when you test drive. I'm 100% sure it will, but, if it sets your mind at ease it's worth the trip. Enjoy!

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This was very helpful. Thanks. Now if only I could find a cab enclosure kit similar to the one besttop makes for the cj7

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
diy. You could always make your own heck it would be a lot cheaper
That's what I'm looking into right now. I have a set of Bestop full doors for a cj7 and they match well on the bottom but are way off on the top. I'm thinking of modifying the doors to fit the rollbar better. I'm also going to modify the roll bar in the back to look more like a YJ so I can put foldable bench seat in the back. Then I'll have someone sew together a top out of the same black denium material. I'll put up a thread if I succeed.

Jewell68

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
That's what I'm looking into right now. I have a set of Bestop full doors for a cj7 and they match well on the bottom but are way off on the top. I'm thinking of modifying the doors to fit the rollbar better. I'm also going to modify the roll bar in the back to look more like a YJ so I can put foldable bench seat in the back. Then I'll have someone sew together a top out of the same black denium material. I'll put up a thread if I succeed.

What you’re attempting is possible, these doors have been refitted much like you described.

C96F714B-0CB6-42E4-B3F9-3A53FDE47AB6.jpeg

HVSKERZ

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner

Any pics of the soft doors?
Do you think the Bestop bottom doors, or 2 piece would fit and then just have to modify the tops?

Jewell68

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
The frames were completely refitted to work with the Roxor tub, then the top needed adjustments to fit the reworked bottom. No matter what you start with it’s a custom creature.

The wind screen needed no adjustments, but we changed over to Jeep (windshield, interior, and roll bar) alternatives on many of the accessories.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Disel engines definitely have their own sound. When you start to get over 2500 rpm on this little motor it does start to lose its sewing machine sound (this is not a flaw, but a characteristics of disel engines). In my own and all that I've heard I guess you could call some of it a "pining" sound if you had to define it. In my experience, weather it's with my own roxor, my brother in laws, my 86 dodge 2500 or my Kubota tractor disel engines just have that sloppy sound when they Rev high. As for burning smell, that's paint and gaskets burning in, mine did it for prob 300-500 miles. Its just part of break in, enjoy it, you only get that smell once :). If your still worried about that noise go to your local dealer and see if theirs makes that sound when you test drive. I'm 100% sure it will, but, if it sets your mind at ease it's worth the trip. Enjoy!
While we’re talking about the little engine that could , today I was headed to town on a state highway, it ran good around 50-55, as before, but as I proceded down a long grade, mostly letting the engine slow the Rox down for a curve ahead , I was about half down the grade when looking in the rear view mirror there appeared a huge cloud of smoke from the exhaust, enough to think I had a fire back there , or a stuck brake shoe. It disapated as I slowed down, then again a large cloud of white smoke mixed with some dark cloud also , like what you would see when oil slips by the rings on a worn motor. On the flat no more smoke...I wonder what was really going on. .?
What door tops did you start with?
What Cab Curtain do you have installed? Was it modified also?

From this side , I plan half aluminum doors. My top shop can do wonders, so I will have an upper door of canvas custom made. These inserts rods will fit into holes atop the aluminum doors. I plan on using Stayfast light tan color material for the rear areas and roof. All sides and back will have plastic windows that will roll up at will.i do not intend to ever remove the set up.......much like that CJ 7 I bought in 75 ( golden eagle ) my guess is the finished product will cost less than a production top once they are being made, next spring maybe.

Jewell68

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
New Jeep bikini top $45 , windscreen $75, repurposed soft door bottoms $100 (aluminum covering), Jeep soft tops reworked $200 . Jeep windshield, roll bar and interior from donor vehicle. (Seats front & rear, roll bar padding, and tons of hardware) The saving is huge.

5CF6D6C7-47AF-46E4-9C0D-5E38D58D9CFD.jpeg A227D59B-2FF0-4CAE-8AC5-A48DAB1806D3.jpeg

Boomer

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I picked my roxor up two weeks ago some things I found with mine all four box's were a half quart low on oil both rear ends transmission and transfer case after I drove it for a week didn't make me happy . My next issue is the changing noises the motor goes though when driving along at the same rpm goes from a high pinning to no ping at all .Took to dealer they had no answer been equipment operator all my life don't seem normal they say most of them do it any comments

Last edited:

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
[QUOTE high pinning to no ping at all[/QUOTE]

I've found that a lot of the noise is the eight blade plastic/nylon fan. It really seems to make a rattle sound? After removing it the engine loses that sound when revving. This is only while in the garage/driveway. Haven't drove down the road without it yet. Just been working on it and it's still muddy.

Also not certain this engine should be revved real high while not under a load. I doubt it has any counterbalance shafts. At any rate not hearing that fan is nice. I may end up going electric.

Darstar

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
New Jeep bikini top $45 , windscreen $75, repurposed soft door bottoms $100 (aluminum covering), Jeep soft tops reworked $200 . Jeep windshield, roll bar and interior from donor vehicle. (Seats front & rear, roll bar padding, and tons of hardware) The saving is huge.

View attachment 1611View attachment 1612
Now, this is the way to get things done....everyone needs a doner CJ ! I especially like the half doors and the removable upper soft section......they all should be made this way !

Fastcat

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I think sound you are hearing is egr valve opening and closing when motor gets to certain rpm ranges up or down ?

Boomer

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Egr valve has Deen deleted completely I thought that was what it was to but Still does it after the complete deleted the system. 1500 rpm give or that is where it's most notable you can be running quite like you turn a switch on it will start a loud diesel chatter like a timing advance mite only last for 30 seconds

WoodLot

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Egr valve has Deen deleted completely I thought that was what it was to but Still does it after the complete deleted the system. 1500 rpm give or that is where it's most notable you can be running quite like you turn a switch on it will start a loud diesel chatter like a timing advance mite only last for 30 seconds

Boomer, mine does the same thing usually under acceleration like pulling out on a hard road going up through the gears, I don't hear it in the woods. It has done it since new and still does it after a DF Stg 1 reflash and EGR system deleted. The best I can describe, agreeing with you, is an ECU injection timing change increasing combustion knock for a brief period under acceleration, cause it's not EGR or waste gate, could possibly be temp related I just can't get a consistent pattern as to when it will happen because the frequency of occurrence is so low.

So I just roll down the windows and turn up the radio.

M151

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Does anyone know if this commonrail fuel system utilizes (pilot injection)?

A high compression ratio combined with single injection will make noise.

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I have noticed mine does it almost exactly at 40 MPH. It goes from normal engine noise to a loud cladder. It is WAY MORE noticeable in real life. The video is almost hard to see hear it, but if you turn it up you can. Here is a video of mine. For the record, I am stock with the speed limiter still.
Here it is.