ooooooooooo

2.5 Longevity/service intervals

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I've heard the Roxor 2.5 is a simple motor that should hold up over time. However I've noticed that things like service intervals and factory warranty are much shorter than your average car warranty. I get that as a "side by side" Mahindra doesn't expect many to drive this machine as a daily or even put large amounts of miles on it.
Curious as to what we can expect with this new diesel. I had heard of Mahindra before as the world leader in tractors but apart from that most North Americans on this forum are new to the brand.
Could you feasibly see 200,000 miles on these motors? Im only 35 and that's more miles than I've driven in my lifetime but I'm just wanting to know if perhaps these motors were or were not built to automotive standards due to their niche use in North America.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
So I've heard the Roxor 2.5 is a simple motor that should hold up over time. However I've noticed that things like service intervals and factory warranty are much shorter than your average car warranty. I get that as a "side by side" Mahindra doesn't expect many to drive this machine as a daily or even put large amounts of miles on it.
Curious as to what we can expect with this new diesel. I had heard of Mahindra before as the world leader in tractors but apart from that most North Americans on this forum are new to the brand.
Could you feasibly see 200,000 miles on these motors? Im only 35 and that's more miles than I've driven in my lifetime but I'm just wanting to know if perhaps these motors were or were not built to automotive standards due to their niche use in North America.
This particular engine is an updated version of a very old and very reliable 2.5 international turbo disel, as a mater of fact if you look at the front of the engine block you can still see where the manual fule pump used to attach. This engine was used IN many applications successfully and in its modern configuration is known to run 500k miles without breaking a sweat. It Has all the charicturistics of an engine that would do this ( cast iron block, push rods ect) so I don't see why it wouldnt. As far as warrenty not being up to automotive standards, that is because it's not an automotive warrenty. This is made for an off road application, and in the off road world 12k miles is a hell of alot of miles. Truthfully, I don't know many people that have ever put those kind of miles on an utv or atv. With that being said, if you had a traditional vehicle like kia with a 10 year 100K mile warrenty and drove it through mud holes all day until it broke the manufacturer would void your warrenty and you would have a no years zero mile warrenty. While this little buggy seems realy automotive and it can be used as such, it's application is intended for off road, and off road is hard as hell on machines, thus the 12k warrenty. A better comparison would be a warrenty on any other utv.

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
This particular engine is an updated version of a very old and very reliable 2.5 international turbo disel, as a mater of fact if you look at the front of the engine block you can still see where the manual fule pump used to attach.

The Scout 152 gasser?

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
The Scout 152 gasser?
I don't think so. I actuly think it's an engin that was used in tractors and other industrial apllications. They talk about it on a podcast with roxor chief engineer. Their is a link to the podcast on this forum somewhere. I think it's disel performance posdcast.

Sonnyd

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
I don't think so. I actuly think it's an engin that was used in tractors and other industrial apllications. They talk about it on a podcast with roxor chief engineer. Their is a link to the podcast on this forum somewhere. I think it's disel performance posdcast.
Here is a link to the interview

TacoJon

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
That was a good podcast. Very informative. I doubt Mahindra would phone it in with a vehicle that may make or break them if they decide to sell fully compliant road legal vehicles in North Americs in the future. I was mainly curious about this motor since it's so new to all of us not in India.

B

Bister

This is made for an off road application, and in the off road world 12k miles is a hell of alot of miles. Truthfully, I don't know many people that have ever put those kind of miles on an utv or atv.

My 2007 Rhino has 18,600 miles on it and it is friggin' done for, toast, kaput, defunct. lol. Engine is still pretty good for the miles. It's a little weak and uses a bit of oil and it's the best part of the warn out unit. I can't complain, it's been good, but no way was it made for that kind of miles. I'm going to enjoy using my Roxor for way more than 11 years and 18,000 miles. I have a 2004 GRIZZLY with 10,000 miles on it to. I just use it for my tracks now in the winter and some trail grooming. I have to admit, I would say I am a rare case. lol

So, since 2004 I have put over 28,000 miles on my 2 units which the Roxor is replacing for the most part. And the Roxor will be used for some of the stuff I have been using my truck for and my tractor, once I get a snow plow. I see just basic maintenance in my future, not a weekend of fixing plastic rubber band drive units. :)

Campyman

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Your talking about a cast iron, push rod diesel engine with timing gears. It'll easily push 300k as long as your changing your oil. I agree changing the oil every 1500 miles is very excessive especially for synthetic oil. Not sure what the rational was for that.

BDRAG

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
No longer own
Roxor #
:-(
If the Roxor was designed for road only use, I am sure the service intervals would be much higher. That said, the Roxor is for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Extreme conditions require shorter service intervals to maintain it. This is common with any say Ford or Dodge or Chevy pickups. Manual will always say see extreme use for maintenance guide.

If used only on the street, I am sure the intervals would be much farther apart.

BDRAG

sandyx

Founding Member
A lil bit of IH-Mahindra history.

1542121064875.png

1542121106131.png

jrobz23

Founding Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
You wouldn't happen to know the Bosch part # cross reference for the DIs injectors or pump would ya?

Reactions: drg

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
New to the forum. I have test driven the Roxor, yesterday. Quite frankly I thought it was the Cats Meow! Been a Honda quad owner, six of em. Been a 50” RZR owner. The latest rig 2018 Polaris General 4 seater, already got rid of it. I am seriously looking at buying a Roxor. For those of you that have one, your thoughts on initial quality, what can you tell me. Would you buy another one? I realize how new they are to the US market.

Bfree

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
New to the forum. I have test driven the Roxor, yesterday. Quite frankly I thought it was the Cats Meow! Been a Honda quad owner, six of em. Been a 50” RZR owner. The latest rig 2018 Polaris General 4 seater, already got rid of it. I am seriously looking at buying a Roxor. For those of you that have one, your thoughts on initial quality, what can you tell me. Would you buy another one? I realize how new they are to the US market.
Like you I have had multiple 4 wheelers, SXSs (Popo's, Canned Hamms, Honda Pioneer) I sold my latest Honda and bought the Roxor. Ive now put about 150 miles of it and its been nearly all 4x4 low range crawling up and down steep mountainous roads, the same roads my SXSs went on. NO problems what so ever, even the steering was good on ROXY. Would I but it again....In a heart beat. Best decision Ive made.

P Bleskey

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Like you I have had multiple 4 wheelers, SXSs (Popo's, Canned Hamms, Honda Pioneer) I sold my latest Honda and bought the Roxor. Ive now put about 150 miles of it and its been nearly all 4x4 low range crawling up and down steep mountainous roads, the same roads my SXSs went on. NO problems what so ever, even the steering was good on ROXY. Would I but it again....In a heart beat. Best decision Ive made.
Thanks for the information. It is good to here you really like your Roxor. It is such a simple design compared to all the standard SXSides.

Woodsman74881

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
I've had a couple of other UTVs, most notably my 2014 Yamaha Viking. It was a great vehicle. No problems in 4 yrs. That being said I maintained it. The Roxor is by far my favorite. I have used it more since I bought it in September and for more farm work, than I ever did the Viking. I can hook a trailer up or haul stuff without having to stop working and go to the house and get the truck or a tractor. It runs great, is strong, and seems well built minus a few quirky Indian things. (My Mahindra Tractor has the same quirks.) I have no problem with the increased service intervals. For me, I do a lot of idling on the farm. With the EGR, lots of soot goes back through the engine. (EGR Block off coming) If it holds up as well as my 2003 Mahindra 5500 tractor. It will be great. The engine in the Roxor, looks very similar to the tractor engine.

Roxasuras

Lifetime Member
Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
Awesome talking points. Woodsman good point with the idling. A machine could have few miles but many hrs on it. I think these little guys will run super strong for many years to come, with little maintenance, which usually is key. I use AMSOIL and it hasn't let me down yet.

drg

Roxor Ownership
Roxor Owner
Roxor #
none
You wouldn't happen to know the Bosch part # cross reference for the DIs injectors or pump would ya?

I'm wondering the same. Too bad that the question got buried. (I'm coming from a VW TDi background and am hoping for some similarities)

sandyx

Founding Member
I'm wondering the same. Too bad that the question got buried. (I'm coming from a VW TDi background and am hoping for some similarities)

Sadly I don't have that info. Even the people from India who show up in FB groups are mostly used to only Thar crde. Thar DI never really occur for most of them. You may still ask it there and see if anything comes of it.

Reactions: drg